SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#142603 - 12/01/01 08:29 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Nimrod Offline

Like This Nobby! ')

Thinking about some speakers myself, but weight isn't so much of an issue as such.

NR

#142604 - 12/01/01 10:18 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I took the EV's out tonight for a corporate party with a 5pc band. I was playing LH bass, RH rhodes/piano, singing and mic-ing the sax man. I had a drummer, a guitarist, and a second keyboardist.(female singer got the flu and bailed at the last minute - Fran Carango borrowed a pretty dress and filled in for her ) There was plenty of punch and even though the crowd was on the small side, the room was a pretty good size. Here's what to expect if you compare the SXa100's to the SRM450's
1) size - EV wins big time
2) power - Mackie has an edge, but only slight. The amp for the woofer is rated at 300watts, but only at a 4ohm load - the internal speaker is 8 ohms, so you are getting more like 175watts continuous. The EV is 150 continuous, with peak handling of 350 watts.
3) dispersion - The horn on the Mackie has a better "spread"
4) weight - EV is lighter, and easier to handle. The monitor angle is a better design too.
5) Value - all things considered, the EV delivers 95% of what the Mackie offers at a lower price, smaller size, and lighter weight. In a one on one comparison, the Mackie IS better, but I won't carry them any more because of the bulkiness and weight. The small sacrifice in performance will not be noticed in most cases, so the price/size issue becomes more important. Given all the current compromises in gear - you can't beat the combination of the PSR2k with a pair of these EV SXa100's. You can get all three items for what alot of stores are selling a PA80 for! It's a great value, folks. They are small enough that you won't want to be without them on all your medium - larger gigs, and powerful enough that you will be happy you have the "extra oooompf" if it's needed.
I can see this becoming the "hot set up" for the modern solo performer. It's versitile, practical, and economical - what else IS there?

#142605 - 12/01/01 10:20 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
.......why is my last post soooooo loooong?
(L - R scrolling needed) I didn't do anything different than usual ?

#142606 - 12/01/01 11:09 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Dnj Offline

"Fran Carango borrowed a pretty dress and filled in for her" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..Hmmmm?

I'm trying to get the visual on this :>)

#142607 - 12/02/01 08:39 AM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
.......why is my last post soooooo loooong?
(L - R scrolling needed) I didn't do anything different than usual ?

You can BLAME Donny Pesce for this one!
Nobby provided instructions on how 'only' Donny can correct this.

Hi Bob: I still think the Roland KC-300's are great keyboard amps. I of course remember that you own them too. I just needed to move up to a system which can provide wider horizontal horn coverage and more power for larger venues, without having to take the Bose 802s too. A standout of the SxA100 is that it provides uniform sound coverage throughout the room even at 45 degrees off axis (no dead spots), but the biggest plus is that it's relatively lightweight (43 lbs) and easy to manage & carry (ergonomicly shaped), considering its' power. BTW, it's only 4 lbs heavier than the Roland KC-300.

BTW, I played the KN5000 again today after a weeks absense and really appreciate it's acoustic steinway piano & digital drawbar sounds. I guess there just isn't a single perfect arranger keyboard out there (yet). Each has its' own unique strengths and weaknesses.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-02-2001).]

#142608 - 12/02/01 08:45 AM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...

#142609 - 12/02/01 08:45 AM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hendershot:
Hey Scott, What happened to your Roland KC300's?

I sold them!
I'll be using just the keyboard's internal speakers for the smaller lower paying nursing home gigs and then taking 'one' EV SxA100 for the medium- larger gigs, and then adding the second EV for the big venues.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online