SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#142558 - 08/13/03 10:04 AM OT: Wrist pain
danb Offline

Sorry if it is off topic but I know that our hand is connected to our keyboard. How do you determine if you have gout, tendonitis or cts when you feel pain in your wrist? I got this pain for almost a week now. And I don't know what it is. I don't have medical insurance because I am new to my job and have no benefits yet. How do you handle your wrist pain. I hope it's not gout because gout usually appear in your big toe or ankle. The pain that I feel now is when I move my thumb like "All thumbs up sign" or using a scissor or hitchhiking sign. It's worse in the morning.

#142559 - 08/13/03 10:13 AM Re: OT: Wrist pain
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Is there a doctor in the house willing to offer 'free' medical advice?
Dr. Rotolo?

#142560 - 08/13/03 10:18 AM Re: OT: Wrist pain
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Had a similar wrist problem a while back. I put it down to Mice-Itus ???
I decided not to switch the PC on for a week and my wrist problem went.
(OH!!! I also stopped playing with myself for a week Ha!!!!)

Graham UK

#142561 - 08/13/03 10:22 AM Re: OT: Wrist pain
danb Offline

Thanks for the response Scott. there is no doctor in the house. I got some friends who had experience with acupuncture medicine. How does it help.

#142562 - 08/13/03 10:24 AM Re: OT: Wrist pain
danb Offline

Graham, I wish I could stop using my pc and my keyboard. Those 2 are my main jobs.

#142563 - 08/13/03 10:33 AM Re: OT: Wrist pain
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
danb. My friend suffered a wrist problem and his cure was to use the mouse over the other side with his lefthand. Again, after a week his wrist pain had gone....worth a try.

Graham UK

#142564 - 08/13/03 10:48 AM Re: OT: Wrist pain
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Danb,

Unless you've been on a high-protein, high-fat diet, I seriously doubt that gout is the problem. You may have some tendonitus, and this could be caused by improper position of the hands in relation to the keyboard, and especially, your computer's mouse. If at all possible, position your mouse on a mousepad that is situated at a height that allows you to keep your wrist as straight as possible and your elbow to forearm position bent at 90 degrees. The same holds true for playing the keyboard. This takes a lot of strain off the joints and tendons, thereby decreasing any possibility of excessive strain and inflamation. Over the counter anti-inflamitory medications, such as asparin will also help reduce the inflamation and aleviate the pain. When using the computer's mouse for extended periods, I would stongly suggest using a wrist brace, one that prevents wrist movements in all directions.

Hope this is of some help,

Gary

(The doctor is now on vacation!)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#142565 - 08/13/03 10:50 AM Re: OT: Wrist pain
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by danb:
Thanks for the response Scott. there is no doctor in the house. I got some friends who had experience with acupuncture medicine. How does it help.

Danb: I was actually referring to our own Synthzone forum household here, of which actually includes at least one licensed physician (Dreamer) who might be willing to share some (free? ) medical advice about this.

Re accupucture. Yes, I personally have had success with accuputure treatment to relieve hand pain in the past, but I really don't know exactly 'how' it works.

Scott

#142566 - 08/13/03 11:28 AM Re: OT: Wrist pain
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Sorry, I am afraid I am a bit late here: my colleagues Graham and Gary already diagnosed the condition. Looks indeed like a tendinitis, most likely aggravated by the use of the mouse. A "flat" mouse can help reduce the strain on the hand (the worst ones are the arched mouse like the old Microsoft). Very useful is also the application of a medicated plaster, containing an anti-inflammatory drug (I am sorry, but I don't know the commercial names in USA). If you cannot find them, follow Gary's advice and take drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen or nimesulide by mouth, ideally with a full stomach. Finally, a cicle of treatment with ultrasounds can be really beneficial.
Let's know how the situation evolves.

#142567 - 08/13/03 12:09 PM Re: OT: Wrist pain
Scottyee Offline

The doctor has spoken.
Graham & Gary deserve an honorary SZ certificate for their correct diagnosis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online