SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#142470 - 03/29/00 06:38 PM The best of Uncle Dave
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
The following are comments from Uncle Dave. He explained to us with passion about his family, his life, his job, his hobby, his instrument *S*, his philosophy and so on. Please understand that many of the quotations are taken out of context for the purpose of fun. *S*

What does Uncle Dave think of the ideal Keyboard?

"Am I dreaming, or does this happen to you too?"

he also explains, "Sounds like a fake to me."

And with passion he insists, "It will NEVER exist!"

How about his intensive discussions with other keyboard users?

"It's funny how you seem to require the "no root" option...It's already out of hand, lets bring back some."

"you'll have your rehersal rig with you even if the airline loses your
luggage !"

But Uncle Dave is honest enough... read on:

"Oh boy! Is this a sore spot for me! No one wants to hear a 44 year old man singing."

"I'm slow today. Don't let that stop you!"

"Here's where I expect to lose a little respect from many of my peers...I get bored very easy."

"If I still don't get it, I'll stop trying"

"Many of us can't be all wet...Now, don't go messin' with America's favorite cowboy ! "

"Remember, we're all sooooo fickle ! "

When it comes to spending his free time:

"spending all my free time at the pool or at the gym.( So I can eat alot ! )....Anyone gonna miss me ?"

"Tell you all ( sorry . . . . Y'ALL ) about it when I return. Now, a fast nap and a quick shower and I'm history!"

We know about his clothes:

"I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY that a stetson hat ( or any other ) is accepted. Lets face it - formal is formal."

He tells us about his favourite sound to play:

"I find that the more sounds I layer, the
closer the sound gets to an old Farfisa organ tone...it sure sounds interresting."

However, not all of his audience agree with him about the "old Farfisa organ.":

"Someone in California said it was noisy, I'm looking for a second opinion."

Well, he has good relationship with his parents:

"More later - Mom & Dad just came in."

Problems with his mom when he was a kid:

"I remember when I was a kid, my Mother would tell me to eat a new food and I'd say "I don't like it" before I even tried it."

Very strange phenomina with his kids:

"Yesterday we fed all the kids (4) and today when they woke up, they all wanted to eat again ! Go figgure !"

But make no mistake about it:

"No No No ! You must have me mistaken for some "Korg" lover!"

But he belongs to a special club:

"Welcome to the few, the proud, the elite !"

What about his favourite instrument?

"Those of you that own one - shut off all the bells and whistles for a moment and just play the darn thing! You'll fall for it
all over again. Just thought I'd share a few comments on the live aspect of a great keyboard.For all of you sceptics who need reassurance about your purchases . . . . Forget what I said. YOUR keyboard
is the best! There is none finer than the one YOU picked out! There is only ONE in the world, and YOU have it! Congratulations ! You got a winner!
( Now sell it and go get an X1 ) [[not out of context]]

So what does he feel in general about him owning the x1?

"Yeah, I feel lucky"

You might wonder if I got permission from Uncle Dave to post this. The answer is NO I have not... I am counting on him to treat me like he treated that fellow:

"t's a good thing we're friends, cuz you just ruined my day."

However, I won't trust the above comments. Revenge is always a possibility:

"Hey ! We're in the same zip code ! I'll call you at home and we'll "duke" it out there !"

#142471 - 03/29/00 07:18 PM Re: The best of Uncle Dave
Sean P Offline

Hi sk880user,

You could have a second career as a comedian. Congratulations for your well-written description of Uncle Dave.

Sean P.

#142472 - 03/30/00 07:19 AM Re: The best of Uncle Dave
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dave,
That was fun to read!
About the difference between the S80 and P80, there are many.
First, the P80 is using a chip from the Clavinova products and the S80 is using a chip from the Pro EX5 keyboard but with many new acoustic sounds. The biggest difference in the Piano sounds would be that the S80 using 4 different pianos including a Yamaha S-700 concert grand sample set from a $250,000.00 custom made grand. Also, there is aftertouch and other pro midi controller options which is not on the P80. However, the size and weight of the P80 is great. Both are priced really great for their performance and sound features.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#142473 - 03/30/00 07:48 AM Re: The best of Uncle Dave
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Dave,

I like Yamaha S80 much more than the P80. The S80 has much more controller features than the P80 and it has much more usable sounds. The disadvantages I found so far with the S80 is that it depends on computer for sequencing and it is too heavy for moving. If you will be using it as studio controller and use a computer for recording MIDI sequences, than the S80 is a good choice. Many people have already been praising the new Roland XV88 synthesizer/controller for its excellent sounds. If you are willing to pay more, you may want to delay for three more months. As of today, I like the keyboard action of Yamaha S80 better than Roland's PA-4 hammer action and I hope that Roland XV88 will have a faster responding hammer action keyboard than their PA-4s.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#142474 - 03/30/00 01:01 PM Re: The best of Uncle Dave
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Uncle Dave, Isn't today your birthday???

#142475 - 03/31/00 08:53 AM Re: The best of Uncle Dave
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Sean,

Thank you very much for your encouragement. I believe that Uncle Dave is the one who can be commedian, I always read his posts just to laugh. This one made me laugh for days:

"Yesterday we fed all the kids (4) and today when they woke up, they all wanted to eat again ! Go figgure !"

#142476 - 03/31/00 11:22 AM Re: The best of Uncle Dave
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Uncle Dave,

For once it wasn't Don or I picking on you. It's just that you give us so much good material. Keep up the good work. I do need to thank all you guys for steering me to the X1.
Going on vacation. Hope to read lots of good stuff on the forum when I get back.

Tom

Tom

#142477 - 03/31/00 12:42 PM Re: The best of Uncle Dave
Sean P Offline

Uncle Dave,

For more info about the P80 - S80 comparison, please read the topic "Piano sounds: P80 vs S80 vs S80 plugin" in the Yamaha Discussion forum.

Sean

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online