SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#142351 - 08/21/03 11:13 AM If the money isn't a problem
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Maybe I have a chance today of selling some scaffold equipment worth $12000.

So if money isn't a problem, what do I want:
Mackie SRM 450
Barbettas or what?

I still don't want to haul around 100 lb pieces of equipment though.
Boo

#142352 - 08/21/03 11:34 AM Re: If the money isn't a problem
Dnj Offline

Boo,

After you go listen to each piece of equipment with your keyboard and microphone at full performance volume in the store, in realtime, you can make a good choice for yourself I'm sure.[In the very hot weather of Colorado Boo I would be carefull with the Mackies.]
Then with the change have a few Beers!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-21-2003).]

#142353 - 08/21/03 11:35 AM Re: If the money isn't a problem
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Well the target is out of the box, fire!!
Seriously though, I'd go for the SRM 450. You can see those being used everywhere, and there is a reason for that. I used to have both SRM 450's, and before that EV S200's, which I have heard against since and never understood how good they really were with the Sba120 subs and XP200 controller. Well, I wanted to slim down to two speakers only and the choice fell on the Mackies. The only reason I sold those were I bought the SR1530's instead with 1500 subs. Heavy, but great sound. For smaller jobs I use one 1500 sub with four small Voice Contact speakers, 180 Watts (oh here we go!) each. They sound fantastic, so the choice might be greater than the two you mentioned. My .02!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#142354 - 08/21/03 12:13 PM Re: If the money isn't a problem
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Boo,
Look into the Mackie C300's and get a powered mixer. Best of both world that way with no overheating troubles ! The 300's sound just as good and they are lighter too.

#142355 - 08/21/03 01:24 PM Re: If the money isn't a problem
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Boo. you could buy yourself a Motorhome and forget about keyboards. Your other half would love it ???

Graham UK

#142356 - 08/22/03 06:10 AM Re: If the money isn't a problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta' agree with Graham, but with one small addition. Buy the motorhome, buy a keg of beer, buy a couple Barbetta Sona 32C's and head for south Florida for the winter, play lots of gigs in the Keys, enjoy life to the fullest. Damn it's cold in Colorado in the winter!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#142357 - 08/22/03 07:13 AM Re: If the money isn't a problem
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Boo, Interesting how these discussions always bring about so many varied responses. I guess that in itself is the answer. between JBL, mackie, EV, and Sona barbetta, you really can't go wrong. Some are better in various areas than others...in the end, we the performers make much more of a big deal about this than the people who are listening.....Any of those speakers sound great...or else everyone using them would be out of business....but seeing they're not, it is a testimony to the quality of their systems..now all you need to do is pick what fits you best...nothing more to it than that my friend...Good luck. (Still loving my EV Sxa-100's with the Mackie bass Bin...all powered units...all sound great...fit well for my application..plenty of happy customers to boot...at least with the sound quality...my performance is still up for debate!!!)...Good Luck!! B2

#142358 - 08/22/03 07:20 AM Re: If the money isn't a problem
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Graham, Gary,

I don't know what it's like where you guys live but here in Colorado $12000 is just a down payment on a motor home. I'm not going in debt any more for anything but a car when absolutely necessary. My house is paid off. I just do food, lights and gas now. Oh, I do go out ocasionally to eat, drive around in the mountains etc.

I've thought of a small camping trailer. However, it'd be quite a thrill pulling a trailer over these mountain passes over 10000 feet.

I'm like Dave and the rest of you guys. Shopping gear keeps me busy from time to time. Noticed I said shopping like Dave. Not buying. Ha! Ha! I'll get something soon. But it will last quite a while. I still have my i30 and am happy with the 16 bar loops on some of the styles.

#142359 - 08/22/03 08:29 AM Re: If the money isn't a problem
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
happy with the 16 bar loops on some of the styles.

Funny you should mention that Boo. I have a few swing styles that are 16 measures long,and if I play a 12 bar blues song ..... I get weird accents and cymbol crashes at the WRONG times ! I should really find a way to shrink these patterns down to 4 measures so they will be more universal, but so far .... no clue how to do that. (Lazy, not stupid)
My favorire swing(jazzy, not BigBand) is from an older Korg series and it's 16 bars long. gets in the way alot, but it's a simple, stylish pattern with a nice ride cym in it. Great for EZ swing tunes like "Nice & Easy" or "Rt 66". I just wish it was 4 bars long !

#142360 - 08/22/03 08:34 AM Re: If the money isn't a problem
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I was under the impression that the I-30s patterns changed according to the inversions used in the left hand. No?
Eddie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online