SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141993 - 01/11/02 08:11 AM Help Me Make It Through The Night
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have developed a horrible chest cold. Coughing, sneezing, runny nose, etc. It will be a long weekend with a lot more instrumentals than usual. This will be the time that there will not be a guest singer in the house.
I have my Kleenex, cough syrup (WITH Codeine) throat lozenges and aspirin, and the show must go on.
Now back to bed for a few hours.
DonM

#141994 - 01/11/02 08:18 AM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don, Alka Seltzer Plus works for me in a pinch....And I am not a medicine user at all.,but sometimes I have to give in..

#141995 - 01/11/02 08:24 AM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don...
Sorry to hear about the chest cold. It happens to us all. At least you didn't get it in time for New Year's Eve, like Scotty.

Last time I had one, I did a great Joe Cocker.... or at least I thought so.

Rest up, good buddy.

#141996 - 01/11/02 08:46 AM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,
I'm just getting over a miserable cold myself. I wasn't much of a singer before I got the cold. This thing has been lingering on for almost two weeks. The little red Sudafed pills help me a bunch. They are non drowsey and make it so that I only use a half box of tissue an hour instead of a full box. They and the codeine cough syrup and alcohol make a very good mix. Hope you are feeling better. Check your email.

Tom

Tom

#141997 - 01/11/02 09:36 AM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bsharp: It seems that colds (for me) always seem to time themselves to pop up right before an important gig. Actually my last cold let up 'just in time' to make my New Years Eve Gig a big success. They already called me up yesterday to re-book for 'next' year.

Don: Hope you're feeling better soon.

#141998 - 01/11/02 09:52 AM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
DonM Offline

I usually get mine N.Y. Eve, but it was late this year. I have a really big Mardi Gras party at my wife's church tomorrow. Tonight is just a night club.
Thanks for the help!
DonM

#141999 - 01/11/02 10:38 AM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Gentlemen: As the saying goes "missery love company" and boy do I need some company now! I struggle to my gig last night in Brooklyn; just the general malaise that accompanies a chest cold. Fortunately the coughing sneezing, etc hasn't started yet. However, when it does eventualy, I have the "best" medication I have ever found in my 35 years career as a singer, and it works like a charm, is prescription, but is worth a visit to the doctor. The name is Tosinex and it comes in a syrup solution. Best of all, one teaspoon of the stuff and you are ready for 8 hours of "non-coughin, very elated, happy-go-lucky" playing, courtesy of the codein in it. Seriously gentlemen, it works. Give it a whirl.
Mario

#142000 - 01/11/02 12:42 PM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Don M....
Here's what seems to do the trick for me.
It's a given that Vitamin C is always a plus.
I take one of the Minute Maid, etc. frozen cans of Orange Juice Concentrate. Let it thaw a little bit...here comes the gross part...Eat It, like a slush..then hit the bed. Other than the fact that it's like mainlining a dozen or so oranges, I don't know why it works..but for me..it does!
Hope you bouncin' back soon!!!

#142001 - 01/11/02 01:16 PM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
My former vocal coach, Judy Davis (coach to the stars) http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/01/31/MNL126003.DTL
always recommended using Mustard Plaster for singers to clear up congestion (colds/coughs). Sinatra, Garland, Streisand, and Eddie Money all followed her advice with great success. As strange as it may sound, it really does work! http://www.pinewoodkarate.com/lessons/lesson12-31-99.htm

- Scott

#142002 - 01/11/02 01:26 PM Re: Help Me Make It Through The Night
DonM Offline

Thanks guys,
I've been guzzing o.j., but never thought of taking it concentrated. It's worth a try. I don't believe I have time today for a mustard plaster, but I have heard of that.
I've been mostly resting today. I took some left-over Sudafed and that seemed to help. I have used Alka-seltzer Plus before and I do recall that it seemed to help.
My equipment is already set up so all I have to do is walk in and start playing about 9:00 p.m. I'll get through it--it's not the first time. The guy that owns the club is a really good singer so that will help me out quite a lot.
Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online