SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#141948 - 07/03/03 12:41 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
wow guys, looking at this board makes my heart beat faster. It would be a great addition to my G1000. I have to go find me a store around here that carries this board.

#141949 - 07/03/03 01:53 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
Dnj Offline

Maybe the next Roland KB will look like that only wqith an Arranger included {wink}

#141950 - 07/03/03 02:07 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by arnothijssen:
wow guys, looking at this board makes my heart beat faster. It would be a great addition to my G1000. I have to go find me a store around here that carries this board.

Arno,
They have them all over the netherlands, no problem to get one.
Lowest price I saw so far was Euro 2574,--

I am in the market for one too.
It will be a choice between gem pro mega or the vr-760.
I 'll have to wait though till we have had our vacation...

Nigel,
I would definately cheque the roland out.
It looks like a nice solution in a band!
We are playing mainly 60 and 70ties rock and it sure looks like it is all I need.
If the hammond is as good as the revieuws say it is, I'm sold..

Fred

#141951 - 07/03/03 03:57 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
The VR760 has the best organ sounds I've heard ( subjective of course ) since I actually played on a B3. Great Rhodes emulation too, maybe as good as the one on the Motif. I don't know how heavy it is though. The 760 definitely has caught my attention, as I like to play a similar style to what you do want to do Nigel. The staple sounds it excels at are perfect for 60's and 70's era rock. Still, I don't think I'd give away the Motif to get one, polyphony issues or not. I need that extra synth editing power it has, and while the 760 seems to have some synth sounds that may be programmable, I'm not sure it can compete with the Motif in that area, especially with the AN150 plug in I have in it. Still, I would love to have the VR760....

I'm not doing anything yet 'til I see the Motif ES, so for the time being, I'll live with what I have. You have some good choices out there Nigel. Now ya just have to wade through them all to see what fits you best.

AJ

#141952 - 07/04/03 10:19 AM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Maybe the next Roland KB will look like that only wqith an Arranger included {wink}

Good one Dnj. That would put Roland ahead of Yamaha!! Nah. That'll never happen.
Starkeeper

#141953 - 07/04/03 12:58 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
hmmm... the user comments on the VR 760 on Harmony Central are not so positive...
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Roland/VR-760-01.html

#141954 - 07/04/03 01:42 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dreamer, I did not see negative reviews..Of the people that posted, I am not even sure they know enough about the instrument yet..Matter of fact one fella is just playing the keyboard in the store..8's and 9's are not negatives..

#141955 - 07/04/03 02:51 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Fran, they are not completely negative, but people are not raving either: if you compare these reviews with those of the Yamaha S90 or the Yamaha P250...there is a BIG difference. It's difficult to persuade me to buy a keyboard when those who have tried or actually own it write "Yes, but..." or "If it was stolen, I would rather buy a..."
What do you think?

#141956 - 07/04/03 03:17 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Here is some more info on the VR760:

At the Winter NAMM show, Roland announced the VR-760 Performance Keyboard. This first-of-its-kind instrument features sounds for the modern keyboard player, such as Roland's acclaimed "Virtual ToneWheel" organs, FP- and RD-Series pianos, all-new electric pianos with COSM Amp Modeling, and SRXpandable synth sounds. A 76-note waterfall keyboard and expressive new controllers--including a D Beam, Active Expression and V-LINK--make the VR-760 a powerful choice for first-class keyboard sounds.

The VR-760 is designed to give keyboard players convenient access to the best organ, piano and synthesizer sounds. The organ sounds are derived from Roland's VK-Series Combo Organs, praised for their authenticity and detail. Onboard COSM Amp and Rotary Speaker Modeling complements the organ sounds, while the VR-760's waterfall keyboard captures the feel of a vintage organ--great for glissandos.

For pianos, the VR-760 takes its lead from Roland's popular FP- and RD-Series instruments. Everything from expressive acoustic grand pianos to bright pop pianos can be found--bolstered by COSM Mic Modeling for improved ambience and tone. The VR-760 even sports a new selection of electric pianos--complete with COSM Amp Modeling--to give players those classic "suitcase" and "stage" sounds. These are, quite simply, the best electric piano sounds Roland has ever offered.

The VR-760's synthesizer section boasts some of Roland's finest sounds ever, with a maximum of 128-voice polyphony. Sounds are set up into easy Tone categories and can be directly edited via front-panel knobs. Two SRX expansion slots make it easy to customize the VR-760 with sounds for any musical genre.

The VR-760 also incorporates a variety of expressive controllers for even more exhilarating performances. With the D Beam, players can adjust functions like rotary speed, octave or glide using an infrared light beam. Active Expression makes it possible to slowly fade in a layered sound using an optional expression pedal. And with V-LINK, musicians can trigger video clips from the keyboard when used with the Edirol DV-7PR Digital Video Workstation (sold separately).

I have heard the VR760 in person. The person playing it was considered an expert player who excels on the Organ and he really made it sing! I thought it sounded absolutely fantastic, especially the Organ sounds. I played it a little myself and I thought the Grand Piano, and Elec. Pianos, were very good. There are Expansion boards you can add to beef up certain sounds if you want. 128 note Polyphony is a great plus too. 76 Keys with that great Waterfall feel is an added bonus.

My advice is to go and listen to one in person then weigh the advantages and disadvantages for what you need the Keyboard for and what it has to offer you in that regard. Then make your decision.

Happy 4th of July!

Best regards,
Mike

#141957 - 07/06/03 05:35 PM Re: Looking for a good keyboard to use with a band
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I've played the VR 760 and can't wait to get one. The organ section is fantastic and the pianos are pure Roland great. The synth section is unique and sounds solid. It even has a basic rhythm section. I would suggest this board if you are playing with a band that has a drummer. Otherwise, I love my PSR2000, it has great sounds and is a great arranger. The case is a little cheesy, but it has held up for the past year with no problems.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-06-2003).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online