SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#141805 - 12/06/04 12:43 AM Suggestions on cleaning contacts
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Lately, the the accompaniment control buttons (which I usually hit hard) have started to go "numb".
I probably can't explain better, but they are less responsive than they used to be.
The power button especially (it is a soft rubber button that needs to be pressed for a while, very much like the power button on the top of Nokia mobiles), does the same thing, but needs a lot more pressure nowadays.
Since I can't raise enough cash to buy a new keyb, at least for now, do you have any suggestions on fluids or sprays or something that I could use to clean the contacts?
I suspect it is the contacts, since I am a heave smoker and haven't cleaned the inside for years now.
Thanks

#141806 - 12/06/04 01:17 AM Re: Suggestions on cleaning contacts
Roel Offline

Trident,
I'm not sure what keyboard you have, but I think cleaning will not help in this case.
Most keyboards have micro-switches and/or carbon-contacts.

Both are 'closed-housing' types, so dirt does not come in.

The best solution is replacing the contacts.

Roel

#141807 - 12/06/04 06:16 AM Re: Suggestions on cleaning contacts
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Trident, Roel is correct. The vast majority of the switches are sealed units with carbon connections. Pressing them hard wears them out quickly--they were never intended for this. Depending on the brand of keyboard, you may be able to replace them, but this will require a major dissassembly and a significant degree of electronic expertise because most are usually part of a major printed circuit board and micro-soldered.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#141808 - 12/06/04 08:07 AM Re: Suggestions on cleaning contacts
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Thank you very much for your responce guys,
the keyb is a 10 year old Casio CTK-750.
I have opened it once or twice to clean the insides, but never went further than vacuuming the dust and cigarette ashes from the case, so I don't remember if the keys are the "closed type" you mention.
If so, it will probably speed up the replacement time, and a new one will take its place.
To be honest it is still very much usable, and I thought I just could slow down the wear a bit. If anything I will spray compressed air and see if it changes anything.
I will post my findings.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online