SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#141760 - 01/17/06 12:55 PM Re: Laptop Sound Card
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Most audio recording apps have some kind of option menu somewhere in the program itself that allows the user to determine which soundcard to use ( for comps that have multiple soundcards ) and at which rate you prefer to work with. I'm pretty certain that PT8 has that, and you should be able it tell by accessing it.

It's also possible that there are some loss issues with the DAC converters, as is often the case with some of the cheaper computer audio cards. Add that to a little more loss from using RCA to mini 1/8 inch jack connectors, and this may also be a contribuyor. Sometimes it is enough to make a rather discernible difference, in which case you likely would need a better card.

AJ

#141761 - 01/17/06 01:02 PM Re: Laptop Sound Card
Charlie71 Offline

Loc: Alice, TX 78332
Thanks, AJ,
I'll check my settings in PT8 to see if they are set correctly. How could I avoid the cord issue? The only input I have is the 1/8" mini... What would you suggest for the cabling? I can use the "Main Out" connectors on the UB1002FX which are standard 1/4", but how do I get that adapted to the 1/8" mini? How do you go from two 1/4" connectors to one 1/8" mini?
Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie

#141762 - 01/17/06 01:45 PM Re: Laptop Sound Card
Bluezplayer Offline

Charlie

There are cords available that are setup with 2 1/4 inch males on one end and a single stereo 1/8 inch male on the other. I picked up mine at a local music store, but if not there are plenty of online stores that should have these.

AJ

#141763 - 01/17/06 03:08 PM Re: Laptop Sound Card
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Charlie,

Now I know why you're having a problem. You do have a line-in, but you have to know where it is and how to activate it.

The Line-In is the same jack as the mic jack, but you have to take it a step or two farther.

1. Plug the stereo output of the mixer into the 1/8-inch mic jack on the laptop.

2. Double click the small, speaker icon on the lower right corner of the laptop screen, which will open the Volume Control screen in Windows.

3. Click Options, Properties, then Click Recording.

4. Place a check mark in the Stereo Mix box and click OK.

5. Now place a check mark in the select box beneath the Stereo Mix slider, set the slider at about 50 percent volume level, then close the page.

This selects the stereo, line-in for the computer. You were apparently recording through the mic connection, which would explain why you were having problems. BTW, to my knowledge there is no way to make these settings default, therefore, before each recording session, the settings must be made using the above steps.

Hope this helps,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#141764 - 01/17/06 04:24 PM Re: Laptop Sound Card
Bluezplayer Offline

Thanks Gary. I totally missed that one. I still recommend testing your recording app's settings and ditching those adapters if you can Charlie.

AJ

#141765 - 01/18/06 03:49 AM Re: Laptop Sound Card
Charlie71 Offline

Loc: Alice, TX 78332
Gary and AJ...
WOW! That solved the problem! Even with the crummy adapters, the sound is EXACTLY what I'm hearing when I record! I'm ordering the new cable assemblies today, AJ.

Now, I have no excuse for not getting some things recorded and posted...

You guys are AWESOME and once again, Gary, you have come through for me. When I get my OMB finally setup, I'm going to put a card on my setup that says, "Thanks to Gary Diamond for making this all possible."

Appreciatively....
Charlie

Charlie

#141766 - 01/18/06 05:47 AM Re: Laptop Sound Card
travlin'easy Offline

No problem Charlie--Glad I was able to help.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#141767 - 01/18/06 02:16 PM Re: Laptop Sound Card
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Should an upgrade soundcard also improve MIDI sound?

#141768 - 01/18/06 02:23 PM Re: Laptop Sound Card
travlin'easy Offline

It may help somewhat with playback, but you will be hard pressed to hear a significant improvement over the OEM card. Mush of this is likely due to the fact that OEM cards have vasty improved over the past decade to accommodate computer games, MP3s and other audio devices.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online