SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141696 - 09/11/04 10:11 PM Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi everyone: I just got an email from fellow SZ buddy Mike (msutliff), who reported that (on his computer monitor, set at 1024 x 768) that my new 'song repertoire list', posted on my newly updated website's: 'Song Demos' page displays the song titles with weird letter 'spacing', of which is resulting in parts of each song title wrapping around and appearing in subsequent lines below. On my computer with 17" monitor set to 1024 x 768, this problem is NOT occuring. All words & letters look correctly aligned, with each song name appearing (in two separate columns) in one line, and right below one another.

I'm now wondering if anyone else here is observing the same weird 'song listing' word alignment & display anamoly that Mike is seeing.

Btw, I entered the text in Microsoft Frontpage in user friendly: NORMAL mode rather than coding directly in 'html' (HTML mode), so I wonder if this might be contributing to possible html errors which might produce the weird display on Mike's display screen.

Thanks in advance to everyone for taking the time to view my website's 'SONG DEMOS' page (again) and 'reporting back' how the song list 'text formatting' looks on your comuter monitor. Please also report back what monitor resolution you're using.

My web address is: http://scottyee.com

Feedback & input greatly appreciated.

Scott

#141697 - 09/11/04 10:21 PM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yes I am seeing the weird text formatting. When I looked at the HTML source I can see there are no line breaks after each song title which is what is causing the problems. I'd try the HTML mode to see if this fixes the problems. I am just seeing lots of white space padding between song titles but no regard to starting a new line each title. This is why I still code HTML directly in a text editor rather than trusting HTML editing software.

I hope this helps you.

#141698 - 09/11/04 10:44 PM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. Hope this helps. I have emailed you a screen shot to show you the fault seen at my end.

Graham UK.

#141699 - 09/12/04 12:57 AM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Scottyee Offline

Graham, many thanks for sending me the screenshot with the weird line & space breaks. With the advice provided by Mike (Sutliff) and Nigel Spencer (walking me thru it on the telephone) I think I finally got most of problems worked out.

Now, when viewed (at resolution 1024 x 768) with the Internet Explorer 'text size' set at 'medium' , the page should look better, with each song title, folowed by the next, on it's own line. Graham, Mike (Sutliff), and others. Please check it now, with IE text size set to 'medium' and let me know if you see an improvement.

I now need to figure out how to get the text formatting to look correct (without the text splitting up in the middle of a song title) when Internet Explorer's text size is set to other settings (Larger, Largest, etc) as well. This truly is a special family here who come to the aid of fellow members at a drop of hat. I hope I can return the favor.

Thanks again to everyone for your support & assistance. I don't know what I would have done without you.

Scott

#141700 - 09/12/04 01:36 AM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Nigel Offline
Admin

I took another look at the HTML and the problem with the difference that was looking like "bold" to me was simply a difference in the fonts that are being assigned ( not the bold attribute at all ). I can see that some titles have different font settings than other titles. Just check that out. I guess they could be fixed by hand but if you can do it in Frontpage it may be better. Try to set to a font size that shows the problem up on your system so you can tell when you fix it.

The website is looking great Scott !!!

#141701 - 09/12/04 08:04 AM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Hi Scott.
I very much like the new web site. Very classy and professional looking.

I also have found a problem with it however, though it may be on my end. I do not know.

When I click on any of the pics on your photo page nothing happens. I do not get the larger photo. Perhaps others experience this?
Perhaps it is only me, but if others could try and report their findings to you then we'll know.
Best of luck,

------------------
The old Newb

#141702 - 09/12/04 06:33 PM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Nigel Offline
Admin

I just tried the pictures and I got the enlarged version. Not sure why you are having a problem.

#141703 - 09/12/04 11:06 PM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OldNewb:
When I click on any of the pics on your photo page nothing happens.

OldNewb, I'm glad you like my new web design. I've gone back and rechecked the pictures page, and (like Nigel also gets), when the thumb nail images are clicked, a new page opens with an enlarged version of the thumbnail image.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I took another look at the HTML and the problem with the difference that was looking like "bold" to me was simply a difference in the fonts that are being assigned I guess they could be fixed by hand but if you can do it in Frontpage it may be better. Try to set to a font size that shows the problem up on your system so you can tell when you fix it.The website is looking great Scott !!!

Nigel, this means a lot to me, especially coming from a PROFESSIONAL video game programmer like you.

Nigel, thanks for pointing out the font size discrepancies. I now realize that trying to enter data via Frontpage without later checking the html results will often produce unexpected results, including ndant garbage and even errors. When I went into html I noticed a lot of uneccesary (redundant & repetitive) tags. Though it's certainly easier to put up a page in Frontpage's 'normal' mode, for more reliable results, it's best to enter html code by hand, or at least check the html after entering in FrontPage normal assist mode. I've since gone back and corrected the erroneous html tags, so now the fonts for all the songs should now share the same font, as well as the begining of each song name start at the begining of each subsequent line.

As far as the word wrap around problem you mentioned earlier, I don't think it's possible to keep the words from wrapping around when viewed at the 'larger' & 'largest' TEXT VIEW internet explorer browser modes, especially when when wanting to maintain the current column widths.

Nigel, many thanks again for all the time you spent with me on the phone last night helping me resolve this problem. I am grateful to not only you, but to all the other supportive friends on this forum who've helped me out by generously providing their valuable feedback.

Ok gang, this leads to yet another question, sorry, but my continuously inquiring mind can't stop spinning. I recently changed my site's 'Page Link' rollover color to a much more easily seen bright red-orange. Strangely, when I roll my mouse over these page links: home, biography, song demos, pictures, contact, guestbook, there's a slight (1 second) delay before the new '8kb sized jpeg image' rollover color change takes place. yet with standard 'text' links like, on my Biography Page: 'Monterey', 'San Francisco' etc, produce an INSTANT'color change' as soon as the mouse is rolled over the text. Perhaps one of you computer experts might have the answer to this. Thanks. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 09-12-2004).]

#141704 - 09/13/04 01:13 AM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Nigel Offline
Admin

You seemed to have sorted out those font differences now because it is all looking good.

As for the wrap-around, you are right there is nothing you can do when the user sets their font size to one of the larger sizes. I still think the 2 columns could be wider but it is not such a big deal. It all seems to be formatted around the graphics at the top of your page which was probably done originally in Dreamweaver. HTML can't overlay text and graphics so your text has been fitted around the pieces of graphic that make up your top graphic even though it looks like a single image when the pieces come together.

#141705 - 09/13/04 02:39 AM Re: Website: Possible 'Text Formatting' Display Problem?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. The --------- problem top of song page now only shows when viewing at Largest Text. There are 10 - overlapping, so reducing the ------ lines by 10 should hopefully solve the problem even when viewed in Largest Text.
This may not be important to you but you have already developed a nice looking web page, it's a shame to spoil it for the lack of a little adjustment.

Graham UK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online