Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141173 - 09/09/03 12:34 PM Digital Recorders
KN_Fan Offline

Guys,
What do you think about PXR4 from Korg?

I can spend no more than 300ish bucks.

Basically just want an economy digital recorder I can record my voice and stereo tracks from my Triton Studio and download the file as either Mp3 or .Wav via USB to my computer to share with friends.

Any advise is welcome.
KN_Fan

#141174 - 09/09/03 12:40 PM Re: Digital Recorders
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you want to record stereo, one-take, check out the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox.
It's inexpensive and works great.
DonM

#141175 - 09/09/03 01:54 PM Re: Digital Recorders
KN_Fan Offline

Hi Don,

I still want some flexibility in recording.

My co-worker who's into this kind of stuff told me to just get a good software and do it through my computer.

I'm also thinking Zoom MSR4.

#141176 - 09/09/03 02:25 PM Re: Digital Recorders
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Listen to your co-worker. Your computer will do an excellent job, you really don't need to spend lots of money and there is a lot of great software available. If you're thinking about doing multi-track, you can pick up a copy of Cakewalk's Music Creator for about $30 at Best Buy. It does both midi and WAV recordings and it's user friendly. Why spend $300 or more bucks on something that this time next year will be drawing dust in the corner of your office? Just my humble opinion!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#141177 - 09/09/03 02:27 PM Re: Digital Recorders
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
PowerTracksPro is good also, and quite inexpensive.
I thought you wanted portability.
DonM

#141178 - 09/09/03 05:04 PM Re: Digital Recorders
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
It really depends on what you want to do.. Of course a computer is going to give you more options, but if you want something external and not computer based, the MRS-4 is pretty good.. I have one and use it often, but if you can spend $300 there's also the Fostex MR-8...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#141179 - 09/09/03 05:26 PM Re: Digital Recorders
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
If you want to record stereo, one-take, check out the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox.
It's inexpensive and works great.
DonM

Hey DonM

I have a Nomad, but what do you use as a microphone? My JB3 only has a OPtical/Line in jack?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#141180 - 09/09/03 05:57 PM Re: Digital Recorders
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Use the line in jack, which is probably stereo, and lay down the tracks from your keyboard. Then you can come back and lay down the vocal track(s). Nothing to it!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#141181 - 09/09/03 06:43 PM Re: Digital Recorders
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
Hi Don,

I still want some flexibility in recording.

My co-worker who's into this kind of stuff told me to just get a good software and do it through my computer.

I'm also thinking Zoom MSR4.

I would suggest sticking with a digital recorder vs. computer imo . Plug and play is better than install and learn .

Dano

------------------
keyboardcity@yahoo.com
www.keyboardcity.net
1-866-348-8876

#141182 - 09/09/03 06:53 PM Re: Digital Recorders
The Accordionist Offline

Here's my take on the matter:

I'm pretty PC literate and I bought a second 7200rpm hard drive for our home PC, bought GigaSampler and Cakewalk, and who knows how many audio cards. How much recording did I get down in the last year? None. I was always messing with this or that and it ended up being a big time-sink and money pit. I was frustrated.

After considerable research I bought a Yamaha AW16G Digital Audio Workstation for $1000 new. I plugged my arranger into two stereo ports, my Millenium digital accordion into two stereo ports, read the Yamaha Recording 101 QuickStart guide, and recorded my first song in the first hour with the AW16G. I burned it onto a CD with the built-in burner, ripped it to an MP3 on my PC and posted it on the Internet all in the same day!

Since then I have probably recorded 50 songs and played a lot with the built-in samples, libraries, tons of mix-down effects, etc. It has been the best money I have ever invested. There is an online community at www.aw16g.com that has a FAQ list with every single question I could ever imagine on it. What a resource!

So for $1000 I have 16 inputs, both XLR and 1/4", mastering effects, 100+ virtual tracks, and a built-in CD burner! I can't imagine ever going back to trying to get that damn PC working again.

My advice is to save up another $600 and buy the Yamaha. I looked at Zoom and Fostex but neither of them did anything to me. I even thought about the Creative Nomad. I'm glad I didn't buy it because it turns out I needed the extra inputs for the Millenium, not too mention the four-band EQ on each channel I am so fond of now.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure there will be posts from people here who got everything to work on their PC the first time and made great recordings for $100. I just wasn't one of them.

Tommy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online