SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#141163 - 09/23/07 04:12 AM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I sold Lowery's in 1971 and I played one for 2 years. That's actually how I got my B 3. I was playing the Lowery in Tallahassee FL and a guy in Miami wanted my Lowery so we worked out a trade. Those were the days.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

[This message has been edited by Songman55 (edited 09-23-2007).]

#141164 - 09/23/07 07:07 AM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
zuki Offline

Lowery sales are geared towards the elderly. These folks start out with the low end model and in little time fork over half their life savings for a product they don't need.

It's an incredible money maker for the successful retailer who can pull that off.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#141165 - 09/23/07 08:21 AM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Clavinova CVP207 which has some similarity to the Tyros (without the megavoices but with Natural Piano voices). I owned several Lowrey Genius models (100, 200, 300) in the 80's. Of course voicing is better now, but the Genius models had random rhythm patterns; there were 2-4 patterns for each chord and they alternated randomly, so the auto-accompaniment was never the same. I assume that was borrowed from the MX1 but am not sure. Are there any current Lowrey owners and can they tell us about the autoaccompaniment? On the Yamaha products, the same 2-4 bar pattern repeats endlessly for a given chord. On my old Genius models, there was random variation and the system chose between several patterns. What do those organs do these days?

#141166 - 09/23/07 11:38 AM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I currently own a Lowrey MX-1. Got it a couple of years ago after a twenty five year hiatus of this organ, Sold them in the early 80's. At the time an absolutely astonishing breakthrough in organ technology and sound all being digital. To me this was the start of the arranger type of keyboards albeit very expensive, like $20,000 then (a ton of dough). I agree about Lowrey being geared towards the elderly and then you upsold.

If someone would listen to a demo, and they could play (or barely), and they could afford it, Done Deal.

Anyway, back to topic. The newer models do not sound as good as the MX-1 as they don,t
have quite as good of speakers and amps (7 spkrs 6 amps). I have a Roland G-70 and had it running thru the Lowrey. The G-70 sounds
sustantially better than the Lowrey, however, it only plays in mono. I currently run the G-70 thru a Pioneer stereo and Bose speakers and it makes the Lowrey sound like a toy. I am sure that the Tyros would be the same way.

I think it is time to sell the MX-1 and get that monster (600 lbs) out of my house.

#141167 - 10/08/07 10:37 PM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
NovaHeart1 Offline

Loc: Toronto
Why compare a Roland G-70 to a Lowrey MX-1, the G-70 is like 27 years newer... obviously its going to sound better, its completely digital, but I prefer the warmth of the MX over any of the newer arranger keyboards out there. Also the MX -1 weighs 350 pounds, not 600.

[This message has been edited by NovaHeart1 (edited 10-08-2007).]

#141168 - 10/26/07 07:39 AM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
bill reed Offline

Loc: edinburgh
hi
i use to have a Lowery contilion and it was a great organ and good sounds but it kept going faulty and changed it dot a Yahama but did not like there sounds, i then gor a wersi beta and the sounds were really good and after a few years a got a wersi spetra and that was i great organ and so easy to change voices and control, i sort of wish i never got rid of it, i now have a technics kn7000 and a wersi pegasus and both work good together.
the lowery was the best looking organ but the spectra was the best sounding and the most fun playing,
most sounds on the kn are better than all the other organ i have had.
cheers
bill

#141169 - 12/16/07 07:51 PM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Monarke:
Also to mention Dennis Houlihan use to play organ for Lowrey in the 1970s. I have music tracks from a piece of vinyl where Dennis plays the Lowrey H25R-1 or H25R-3 not sure exactly which. Also the photo of him on the back is with with long sideburns, something he found quite amusing when I showed him the record at NAMM one year...

I used to work for Gray Audio Visual who handled all the AV requirements for Norlin in the 70s. Dennis Houlihan was a regular visitor to our premises and I remember late nights sorting Lowrey slides with Dennis. We produced and ran multiprojector slide shows launching new Lowrey organs as well as shows explaining the features of the various models. Harry Stoneham used to demo the organs at the shows. Dave Smith was another organist who demo'd Lowreys. I remember many fun times wiht those two in the hotel bars of wherever we were staying at the time. We did shows in Frankfurt, Utrecht, Milan, some in London and also NAMM in Chicago. We even had the amazing Les Paul playing on the Norlin stand at Frankfurt one year. I'll never forget that show.
Gray Audio Visual did the launch of the MX1 in London.

#141170 - 12/17/07 07:56 AM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ah, multi-projector shows...those were the days. Thinking about it now, you could do some amaising things with a bank of projectors. Found my programmer just the other day.

Thanks for the memory...

R.

#141171 - 01/08/08 01:39 PM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
bjohn Offline

Loc: Michigan USA
I agree that the Lowrey MX-1 was a groundbreaking innovation, the sound is amazingly warm, and it is a beautiful piece of furniture as well. I personally own an MX-1 including the original bench, demo album, and three instruction songbooks. The first time I played it in church organ mode I fully expected to see Princess Diana walking down the aisle in her wedding gown...such an incredibly rich and full sound.

My MX-1 has been well maintained, pampered, and rarely used. If you or anyone you know would be interested in purchasing it, please contact me at bjohn00@hotmail.com

#141172 - 01/09/08 09:03 AM Re: Tyros vs Lowery
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This thread certainly brought in some 'new' names, didn't it ???

t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online