SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1407 - 04/26/02 04:53 AM In need of help with Korg Z1
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
I own a Z1 and I'm having real troubles trying to get the LFO to work properly.
What I'm trying to do is create my own sounds from scratch, so, in accordance with the manual I've initialized a program (patch) which sure enough, gives me the blank canvas I need (when you initialise on the Z1 you just end up with a plain sawtooth wave- no effects, no nothing).

The trouble is, when I try to get the LFO to work, I go to the LFO section and it doesn't matter how I set it, or what thing I assign to what knob- THE LFO SIMPLY DOES NOTHING regardless of what I do in the LFO section. I've tried and tried but I just can't get it to even start.

I've restored the factory settings several times and so I'm sure it's nothing to do with clock source, local or anything like that.

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone out there can help then it would be mega appreciated.

Thanks

#1408 - 04/26/02 08:43 AM Re: In need of help with Korg Z1
tekminus Offline

It depends on what you want to achieve with the help of the LFO. The LFO section probably has all the settings for the type of LFO you want to use. When you've done that you need to assign it to do something. Remember, this is a low frequency oscillator, which is used to modulate other parameters.

Go to the filter section, if there is one, I've never used a Z1. Assign the LFO to cut-off frequency. The results should be audible instantly. A high speed LFO modulating filter frequency produces a warble or fart.

You can use a slow LFO, triangle or sine, to create nice filter sweeps.

Hope you get it working. On some synths the LFOs go to audible frequencies and can be used as additional oscillators, if they have key-tracking.

-tek

#1409 - 04/27/02 05:11 AM Re: In need of help with Korg Z1
tekminus Offline

I looked at the Z1 and it looks like you're in for a treat:
4 LFOs; 18 waveforms including sine, tri, saw, square, sample/hold and stepped.

This means you have 4 LFOs per voice. Try sample & hold modulating filter cut-off, for a classic effect.

-tek

#1410 - 04/27/02 06:35 AM Re: In need of help with Korg Z1
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Well Tek, I have to congratulate you. I've been working on this problem for weeks now and I think you've managed to nail it.

I never realised this, but it turns out you've got to assign the LFO(s) to something, such as pitch or pan or amplitude or whatever. I had my LFOs set up correctly, but once I'd set them up I should've gone to another section, say pitch, and told the pitch section to respond in accordance with the LFOs.

It just goes to show, I've definately still got a lot to learn when it comes to synths.

My Z1 is due to appear in the local newspapers today for sale, but now that I've solved my problem (and since you're giving it such a big thumbs up), I think I might just hang onto it for a while.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Equalizer (edited 04-27-2002).]

#1411 - 04/27/02 07:37 AM Re: In need of help with Korg Z1
tekminus Offline

Looking at the specs and judging by how the Prophecy sounded when I tried that one in the shops, the Z1 should be the business.

-tek

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online