SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1403 - 11/08/05 12:34 AM Help a Noob out
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay so i am a bass player and want to expand what sounds i can make and pretty much when it comes down to it bass effects suck Because im looking for synth type stuff. So i figure what the hell ill get a synth. Most of this stuff is way to far over my head right now. What im wondering is if anyone can recomend a synth that meets these requirments.

-Can produce synthy leads as well a ambient noise and layers
-At least 49 keys
-has bigger keys than a micro korg
-relativly easy to use
-under 500 bucks
-ohh and i prefer something new and something i have the potential to try out before i buy it

Im willing to go anyway i need to whether its digital or analoge or computer bassed, multiple keyboards what ever it takes to get what i want. Ohh yeah and if it helps the band i play in is very much influenced by dredge, mars volta, led zep, circa survive, saosin, the sounds of animals fight, fall of troy, you know all those bands that are or have ambiant parts in their songs where synth could be thrown in as well a straight up leads.

#1404 - 11/08/05 06:22 AM Re: Help a Noob out
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi there,
Since under $500 is the majic number you just narrowed your options to used gear only,

Synths are expensive. Even if you were to go software (which is cheaper than getting hardware synths) you will still need a KB controller and a decent audio card. But just in case you're prepared for some heavy mouse clicking and won't mind taking your laptop to gigs here are a few:

1. NI Pro 53.(analog modeling)
2. NI Absynth (ambient stuff)
3. NI FM7 (cool lead, bass and pads)
4. Arturia CS80, Minimoog V, ARP 2600, Moog Modular V. (all analog modeling synths).

5. Gmedia M-Tron (Classic LZ and Beatles KB sounds from their psychedelic days. Strawberry fields flutes etc).

6. Gmedia Oddity (soft version of an Arp Odyssey).

7. Lounge LIzard EP (best software EP around. At least to my ears. All the classic Rhodes stuff).

THere is more. I think Gmedia (now M-audio) make a synth that has all the classic KB but I forgot what it's called).

THe list goes on. I've named mainly what I use. Google for more stuff or wait until others post their suggestions.

There are also lots of freeware stuff. Like Green Oak's Crystal etc. If AJ posts he'll add a lot more good stuff to the list.

Now, if you wish to get a hardware synth capable of synth and ambient stuff than here are a few (all used and slightly older models since we're talking under $500. Will still be more than that though):

1. Novation SuperNova and SuperNOva II.
2. Korg MS200 and Z1.
3. Roland JP 8000.
4. Access VIrus.
5. Yamaha An1X.

That's all I can think of for now. Korg Z1 would be my number one choice since it can do some KB sounds like organs and Rhodes and it's synth engine isn't just limited to analog modeling. BUt they are heavy and a bit on a sluggish side when selecting patches. Price is also a bit more than $500.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 11-08-2005).]

#1405 - 11/08/05 10:25 AM Re: Help a Noob out
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Ed already hit on some really good ones, and I agree with him that you won't find much of anything for under 500 new that would be of good quality.

Occasionally you will see a Korg X5D or a Yamaha S03 near that price ( look for something like Musician's Friends Blem or B stock ). Both of these are wav based romplers that seem to play fairly well ( you could check Harmony Central's synth database for opinions ). I doubt that either are going to be outstanding for synth leads and ambient sounds, but I'm sure either will give you basics to work with for both.

Like Ed, at 500 Usd, I might recommend software, because at that price, notwithstanding that you'll need a controller and a midi / audio inteface, I think you'll do a lot better soundwise by adding one quality commercial module and a bunch of freewares.

I like all of the commercial offerings Ed recommended, especially Absynth and Oddity and the Arturia synths. I also would add Imposocar to that list. I will add a few more ideas too.

Korg legacy collection package has everything you need soundwise at 499, and it includes a controller, but of course you still need the audio / midi interface, so it will go over your budget a bit. M Audio still makes the Audiophile 24 / 96, and even though it's a few years old now, it still is rated very highly for value vs dollar. It can be had for about 100 Usd.

Knowing what I do now, if I have to start from scratch with $500 as my absolute budget, and my main concern is good leads and ambient patches... here's what I would likely do:

Get the Audiophile: 100 Usd

Go to a pawn shop or some other discount place ( maybe even a yard sale if ya get real lucky ) and buy the cheapest midi kb ( that still works of course ) and use it a my controller until I can afford something better. If you're lucky enough... you might pay less than 50 bucks, but lets say you have to spend 75.

325 left.

The first thing I'm buying is RGC Audio's Pentagon 1. An absolute killer analog modeler that can be had for about 120 Usd or so and maybe less if you look hard enough. It's right at the top of the user ratings at KVR Audio for good reason. Value vs dollar, I haven't tried anything better ( I've tried most of 'em too ). If you don't need acoustic instrument sounds, you might want to bundle it with Z3ta ( also from RGC Audio ) which is a wavetable based synth. The bundle price is 240 usd or so. Talk about ambient sounds, Z3ta is a killer. You'd still have about 80 bucks or so left, and there are plenty of synths in the 50-75 Usd price range that would work too.

But.. let's say you do need some acoustic sounds.

Then I might go for Pentagon ( again 120 )
and add Luxonix Ravity S for about 130 or so. Ravity gives a good account of itself in most areas for a wide array of acoustic and synth sounds. With the 75 left over.. I might go for Superwave performer, which is like a junior Z3ta at about half the price ( approx 70 Usd ).

Then you can add freeware:

Green Oak Crystal- One of the best

Ichira Toda's Synth 1 - Outstanding analog modeler based somewhat on a Nord Lead. You'll need to d/l some of the external ( free ) add on patch banks for it, as the internal presets are of fair quality.

Superwave P8- baby brother of Performer.

Ugo texture- Very nice FM / analog modeled synth.

Any of the Killer series.. For when you want an analog modeler with attitude and are not feeling so "ambient"

Mik Sybrandt series of softsynths. Excellent for freeware. Even has a very decent drawbar organ emulation.

Add a couple of free software effects from Kjaerhaus ( the reverb and chorus emulations in particular are very good ), and a vst host and you're set. There are sveral freeware hosts that will work fine, but you could also add something like Xlutop Chainer ( 50 Usd or so ) and maybe use the freeware Supewave P8 insstead of the commercial Superwave Performer.

If you are interested in the soft route, I'd suggest a look at KVR-Audio's site. http://www.kvraudio.com/

They have it all there and much more.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-08-2005).]

#1406 - 11/08/05 10:48 AM Re: Help a Noob out
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
One other option that I woulld consider at 500 USD.

Audiophile 24 / 96 $100 Usd

Used kb w/ midi - $50-100

USB's Plugsound series of modules at $300 Usd. These will cover every major sound category including acoustic and electronic drums. You'll wind up with 6 specialized modules that are wavetable based ( no analog modeling ) but the synth sounds are very well represented in module 5. I really like this for the price I paid.

Add a freeware Vsti host.. I'm sure you can find at least one suitable one here: http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft=h&type%5B%5D=0&f=0&fe=vst&win=1&free=1&sf=0&receptor=&sort=1&rpp=30&sid=df62394c53d5df02f92f07cb3619c737

Then add Synth 1 for analog modeling along with some of the other freeware synths and effects I mentioned in my previous post. At 500, I doubt you'd ever come close sonically with a hardware board, even a used one.

Regards,
AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online