SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140450 - 04/14/02 09:37 PM I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
Hau Tristan Offline

Loc: HK
Hi,

As far as I know there are only 2 brand avail. Yamaha EZ30 and Casio (forgot the model). Any other brand that I can choose ?
I've tried on Casio (with lights on the key but forgot the model). The songs are more pop than EZ30 ... Is it a joke to buy such kind of keyboard ? Or if you have a better idea to learn keyboard (I have basic music theory conecpt and brief sight reading skill) from either on WEB/Video/Books. Please advise.

Cowby

#140451 - 04/14/02 09:55 PM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Greetings!
If you think a keyboard with the guide lights will help you learn and enjoy, then go for it. I'll bet you will quickly outgrow it and want something better. That's fine, too. First, a keyboard to learn with and then a later, step up to something fancier.
Tom G.

#140452 - 04/15/02 03:42 AM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Hau. Any help in learning to play should not be turned away from, but the learning process is a long pleasure and sometimes frustrating road. Following lights is not a way to learn to play, its a bit like using single fingered chords instead of learning fingered chords, single fingered chords still require up-to 3 keys to be pressed, so why not learn the proper chords, to me they are a short cut and a backward step that is difficult to get out of once you have started.
I have a friend who marks all his music with a red pen on all the sharps and flats that require playing, so any music not marked in this way he can't play?. He will never now leave this way of playing.
I wish you every encouragement to learn to play, but please give my above comments some thought. I am self taught and a reasonable player from sheet music, but I could not follow light on the keys to save my life,....have fun.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 04-15-2002).]

#140453 - 04/15/02 06:23 AM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I agree with Graham... I think lights are a bad idea. Sure it can teach you to finger peck some songs, but you're not really learning the song. Learning to play isn't something that can be taught just by pressing the key with the light blinking. There are many things to learn like proper fingering and chord structure. These lighted keyboards might be a useful aid for someone, but I wouldn't suggest this type of board to anyone who wants to learn how to play. Learning to play the keys is something that takes years rather than minutes. You don't have to get a teacher, and there are a lot of books out there for self teaching.... You'll feel much better about your playing ability too...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140454 - 04/15/02 02:13 PM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi,
I started playing a guitar when I was 6 years old. I was shone a few chords by a neighbor lady. I got a book to learn how to fret my chords the rest I learned by myself!
I got to the point where I could pick a pretty good lick, all by ear. I started with
a very small guitar.Brand, who knows??

I now play a PSR-2000. But Yet today I wish I had learned to read music!
If you do learn to play by ear be sure to learn your chords! That will help you when you want to turn the arranger off, and just play the piano!
When I first started to learn the arranger I used the full chords!
I usualy set it so I can use either full chord or one finger chord. the only time I use a one finger chord is when something requires my left hand fast!
If your new at this and don't want to spend to much to start, maybe a good used might be the way to go. You have to know if music will hold your interest! So people that I now are on fire for a KB! Six months later they loose interest! They've went out an bought a very expenseive board! Now they can't sell without taking a great loss!I rambeled on here to long. Hope it helps.
All the best,
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-17-2002).]

#140455 - 04/15/02 05:34 PM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
THE EZ30 is helping my son ( 8 yrs old) learn to play music .
I think the light guide system is great for anyone .
The wonderful thing about the EZ30 is that it's basically the PSR550 sound engine . All of the styles on the EZ30 are musically the same as the PSR550/350 . For the money , it's the best keyboard I have bought !

If you really listen to the songs on the Casio vs . the EZ30 ....it's night and day ! Just compare twinkle twinkle little star on the Casio , than listen to the variations on the EZ30 . Big difference IMHO . dano

#140456 - 04/16/02 12:54 AM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
It's amazing how many people come up to you at the end of a gig and say "I wish I'd never given up piano lessons". I have some sympathy.

When I was a lad it was classical piano or nothing. I think it was about 2 years before I got to a "classical" a tune I could recognise and thus relate to. I am lucky enough have always been able to play by ear and this compensated for the boredom of interminable scales.

By comparison any modern keyboard and tutor method is a godsend. Therefore I'm with the "if it helps, why not use it" school.

#140457 - 04/16/02 03:51 AM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Actually I'd agree with Graham. Music is the art of hearing, not viewing. Of course we read music sheet, but in no serious concert you'll see musicians reading it. After some practice, hearing takes over...
If you're not into classical music (which is the case since you are going for a keyboard and not for a piano), then try to use your ears as much as possible. Some people can't, but I think that most can do it. Try it. My choice would be a used keyboard until I realize what suits me...
Good luck with your learning, and remember that one way or another, you're entering a wonderful world! But I think you'll get the most of it by using your ears to hear, your fingers to play and your soul to feel...

#140458 - 04/16/02 04:43 AM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
A "trained" ear is indeed, a wonderful gift, but not everyone so blessed. Learning to play any instrument requires a mastery of certain basic's INCLUDING (but not exclusivly)reading music, and knowing basic theory. It's like knowing the alphabet before reading a book. It's basic. It's fundamental, and it's VERY neccissary.
It's great when a player learns how to rely on "listening" but the basics need to be learned first, or any future advancement will be hampered. I rarely read on the job, but I studied my butt off all through high school and college, and those countless hours of training gave me the arsenal I needed to make music.... my "REAL" job. http://members.aol.com/unclemusic/
I encourage ALL players to read. It's really, VERY important. "Playing by ear" comes naturally, and can't really be taught, so it's a good idea to get the "mechanics" down first ... and THEN experiment with your tools. It's alot like singing - it can't be taught. You either have it .... or you don't. A vocal coach can teach you breathing, diction and phrasing tips, but no one can "teach" you how to sing if you don't have the natural tool in the first place.
Study the art, practice the craft, and enjoy the results! It's ALL good. It really is.

#140459 - 04/16/02 06:14 AM Re: I am thinking of buying an Arranger with "Guide lights"
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Uncle Dave, I see you're back... I was away for about 10 days and I lost contact. I hope everything is ok with your problems. I don't want to steer away the topic, so that's all about it.
About "Reading" and "Listening", my opinion is that Listening is more important. I studies classical piano for 10 years intensively, giving concerts, obtaining diplomas etc. But I enjoy now so much more playing things "I heard" and improvising or playing along with singers, singing my self, accompanying choirs and all this great stuff. You are much more free this way than reading the sheet and reproducing it. I've seen people who read the sheet perfectly (better than I do) and still I cannot consider them as musicians. On the other hand, I know people who have never be taught, almost never read a music note and yet they are admirable musicians.
Still I think that the best situation is when you can read and listen. I maybe didn't express it clearly in the previous post. You must know how to read and practice with it, but real music is like talking. Even if you don't know how to read, you can say great things! In other words, not listening is greater disability for a musician than not reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online