SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#140400 - 10/17/05 12:08 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just had a situation yesterday...a prospect wanted to know if I would Dj a small wedding for them...because bands take too many breaks...They will spend $500 for the DJ, yet fret about a band or OMB, because we take a break..They want continuous music...This is a contact through my wife....She told them I always play break music while on breaks...

#140401 - 10/17/05 12:08 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Well, from what I am led to believe is that DJ'S are getting from $800- $1,000 to do a wedding and the bands that still do weddings are only getting $75-$100 per man..
WHY.....karaoke dj's are making $200- $300
per nite letting everyone else do the singing.....and everyone wants to come to
AMERICA...streets of gold.....
Tony Rome

#140402 - 10/17/05 12:11 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I just had a situation yesterday...a prospect wanted to know if I would Dj a small wedding for them...because bands take too many breaks...They will spend $500 for the DJ, yet fret about a band or OMB, because we take a break..They want continuous music...This is a contact through my wife....She told them I always play break music while on breaks...

I've seen & also heard from people about musicians talking 20 to 30 min BREAKS!!! Yikes, no wonder clients get angry..

#140403 - 10/17/05 12:29 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
zuki Offline

Originally posted by Tony Rome:

{As far as the audiance goes, try to distance yourself from them if at all possiable...}

Except for the hot chicks

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#140404 - 10/17/05 12:30 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Clients will ALWAYS notice when the band takes a break, but never notice how long a playing set might be ...
My nephew recently got married, and admittedly there was a lack of communication between him and the band early on that caused some problems, and he was now kind of 'on edge'. The night of the wedding after a long dance set the band took a break ... they were 20 minutes into it when he said to me "all this band is doing is taking breaks" ... he was kind of surprised when I mentioned that they had played for almost 1 and 1/2 hours straight !!! ...
However, I have seen bands take advantage with long breaks, but then I've seen DJs spin nothing but 'dinner music' the first 2 hours also....

To Tony R: ... like anything else, the $$$ a band gets depends on a lot of factors ... In the greater NYC area top wedding bands (and I'm talking about professional musicians/singers who can and will play ANYTHING you ask for) demand 5 to 8 or 9 THOUSAND a night !!!
t.

#140405 - 10/17/05 12:31 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Money aside: I suppose the DJ vs working musician career decision has a LOT to do with the area (or part of the Country) you live. In urban areas, where more diverse audience music interests and the arts (in general) flourish most, there are obviously more people and venues featuring LIVE music, which attract people interested in sitting down as an active listener, to enjoy an evening of LIVE music by a musician(s). I realize that as musicians, we all have to do what we need to do to surive (feed our family, and pay rent/house payments & bills), but for those of us who view music making as an artistic outlet must be willing to make some sacrifices. I myself am more willing to use other avenues of employment (teaching, music/computer consulting) than doing the DJ/karaoke entertainment host routine no matter how much it pays. Am I a fool? Perhaps, but I'm sticking to my guns. - Scott

#140406 - 10/17/05 02:44 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I've done both and I must say I didn't hate being a DJ as much as I thought I would. I was the entertainment, the MC, the host, I ran games. I made sure People had a good time and I walked away with a feeling of satisfaction for a job well done. I got more personal satisfaction from playing live.
Most people don't know how to hire live music, so they end up with a bad experience.
They tend to hire a band someone else has used before except that someone else may be "country" and they are "Rock and Roll"
Today if you want to see the Eagles or Billy Joel Or the symphony or an opera in concert people turn on the 54" TV with the 600 watts surround sound, buy or rent the DVD and watch in the comfort of their own home. You can hear better that live, you have better seats than live, no parking, no scalpers and you have take out or delivery.
The common theme here is things are changing. And to go back to the main topic less and less of our audience considers the one man band live music. Ask any bass player or drummer, or horm player, what they think a live musical performance is.

#140407 - 10/17/05 03:38 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
After years of playing a B-3 with a suitcase Rhodes, accompanied by a drummer, I went "kicking and screaming" into the arranger businss. Last year, I am somewhat ashamed to admit, I got into the DJ business...not me as much as my son.

We bought an old Airstream trailer and used all the old massive Crowns, large cabinets, etc.I had gathering dust.

It was hard for me, because, like some of you, I was constantly irritated by DJ's who would regularly make more money than me..no show..not even much banter.

In our case, we're hired mostly for outdoor car shows, where a massive sound system is needed for annoncements, awarding of prizes, etc.

The second use is as a mobile PA for my large outdoor jobs.. usually 5-6 per year.

We're not really competing against each other, but the set-up paid for itself the first year, and we're now doing open houses at RV dealerships, city sponsored events (St. Patricks day parades, etc.)

It's something my kid and I can do together, and the extra money is GREAT!

I'd never do this instead of playing, but the addition of this service has been rewarding. And, we're not competing with live acts or musicians. I just couldn't do that.

Russ

#140408 - 10/17/05 04:02 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
less and less of our audience considers the one man band live music. Ask any bass player or drummer, or horm player, what they think a live musical performance is.

I concur. THAT'S the primary reason (whenever possible) I think it well worth adding 1 or 2 other pro level instrumental musician(s)/singer(s) on my concert gigs. Not only is onstage musical interaction between band members (from duo to 3 piece) MORE musically rewarding personally, but the audience appreciates the musical chemistry that transpires as well, and reflected by their enthusiam & greater repeat concert bookings for this time of band arrangement. In Europe, for whatever reason, one-man band entertainment appears to more accepted form of social pub entertainment, but in the USA, I believe American's have grown to expect a live band (even if it's just a duo) when they're spending their hard earned dollars to pay for, and go out for an evening of LIVE music entertainment.

- Scott

#140409 - 10/17/05 05:28 PM Re: Laptop becoming a pain in the Butt on stage....
Dnj Offline

Lets face it......find your nitche in the music world, look for your piece of the pie and go for it 150% or your done & will have to find another profession.....the music world is Too Splintered with so many avenues, so many different opinions, choices, equipment, radio stations, TV, Dj's, karaoke, computer music, etc etc....you aint gonna change the world as it is now or will be musicaly...But you can do your own thing, and if you do it Very Well you can make a living at it and enjoy it........& if anyone tells ya different tell em to
"Take It On The Hop" If ya know what Im talkin' about

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online