SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#140311 - 07/24/06 11:16 AM OT: Need Help--Hotmail/Norton Anti-V. problem?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Guys and Gals, sorry for posting this here, but there are quite few computer gurus that may know what is causing this.

Does anyone else here have Hotmail, and if so do you have Norton Anti-virus? I have been having something really odd happening now for over a month--and I know it's hotmail's fault and not Norton.

When I log into my Hotmail--Before I can even access my Inbox--Norton Anti-Virus comes up and scans the (Exact) same Java Script file before I can even procede--this scan happens right after I sign in with my password--Hotmail pauses (on blank screen) so Norton can scan the same darn file every single time. I've cleared my inbox, and all other junk folders so there's no actual file in any folders to scan, yet it keeps happening.

I've contacted Hotmail about this--and I think they're purposely hiding behind something because the techie tried to tell me Norton is blocking specific cookies and that's what the file is--when "cleary" it's not a cookie, but a Java Script file.

It's my understanding that a lot of illeagle tracking software is piggy backed on some Java Script files as well as Trojons.

I contacted Norton ,and they got right on it for me and said I need to contact Hotmail to get the 4-1-1 on this issie. They also said I should express concern to Hotmail regarding this because somehow this exact same java script file is "tagged" to my account. They said it would be different if I was getting different files, but to have the same file scanned every time is justifiable cause for alarm and deserves an explanation from Hotmail. Especially considering the file is actually associated with Hotmail, and bears Hotmail as the first word in the file name. So it's obviously a Hotmail related Java Script file.

Since my last email to MSN, they haven't bothered to to get back to me. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140312 - 07/25/06 05:22 AM Re: OT: Need Help--Hotmail/Norton Anti-V. problem?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I have hotmail and Norton came on my new computer I have no problems, does Norton ask you to accept or allow the file? When I first started Norton was asking me alot of accept this and that from different sites. Sites I know well I always accept.
What browser are you using I use both IE 7 beta and netscape on my new HP.

#140313 - 07/25/06 05:38 AM Re: OT: Need Help--Hotmail/Norton Anti-V. problem?
squeak_D Offline

Nope it doesn't ask me to accept the scan, it just scans the same file all the time. I'm using IE with Verizon as my service provider.

I honestly think it's some type of tracking file. I can't help but feel that some type of tracking program has been tagged to my account.

Probably the damn Bush Admin, and their use of the Patriot Act. Maybe my email account has been flagged by them... Hmmmmm I have been talking about the war and terrorists a lot over the phone lately. I know they have software that automatically picks up key words. Like if in the middle of a sentence I said "Bomb".

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140314 - 07/25/06 01:24 PM Re: OT: Need Help--Hotmail/Norton Anti-V. problem?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Squeak
1. Delete all your cookies and Temporary Internet Files.
2. In IE go to Tools, Internet options, General, Settings, and View objects and remove any programs you don’t need.
3. Update your Anti Spyware program and do a full scan.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#140315 - 07/25/06 01:39 PM Re: OT: Need Help--Hotmail/Norton Anti-V. problem?
squeak_D Offline

Already done all that Actually I do a daily clean up (deleting) of Temp Files, History, and run spyware programs to delete tracking cookies.. Still have the problem.

Squeak

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online