SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#139991 - 11/11/01 06:06 PM Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just checked out the new Yamaha PSR2000 today and ended up taking one home with me. Since I didn't receive any answers to my PSR2000 questions (see other thread: "Now Considering the Yamaha PSR2000! hmmm"), I decided I had better drive over to my local music store myself to hopefully find the answers. After spending about 45 minutes checking out this board, I was really BLOWN AWAY by the PSR2000's impressive sounds and styles. I then tested its' jazz (rootless) chord recognition capabilities and was thrilled to find that even this mid-priced arranger supports most all the rootless jazz style chord voicings I find essential for live jazz style piano comping/playing. I had read (from someone else on this board) that the PSR2000's acoustic piano sample was lackluster and that it sounded 'artificial'. On the contrary, I thought the PSR2000 sounded at least VERY VERY good and certainly acceptable to me, at least in the store (I also own/play a Steinway B acoustic grand). I had also expected to encounter a cheap feeling keyboard synth action. Though I found the keyboard action a little "mushy" and not the best synth action around, I actually had NO PROBLEM controling the dynamic subtleties required for playing pianisticly. I was able to use the same comping/soloing techniques as I do when performing on my Technics KN5000. I really had a lot of fun playing and experimenting with the PSR2000's wide variety of impressive sounds/styles and it even attracted a group of customers who gathered to watch/listen to me perform. They were all impressed with the PSR2000's natural sounding sounds & styles (not canned) and told me that my performance (along with the realistic auto accompaniment backup) really sounded PRO. I too was pretty amazed that a keyboard in this price range could sound this good and deliver so much BANG for the Buck. I realize that the PSR2000 gives up some important features (keyboard after touch, onboard hard drive), but considering all the other plus' (extremely lightweight (23 lbs/10 kg), compact size (38-5/16" x 16-11/16" x 6-5/16"/973 x 399 x 161 mm), highly impressive sounds, tasty styles, excellent price point), I think this KB may be a real WINNER, especially for a gigging musician like me. In fact, my friend (musician) who accompanied me to the store even thought the PSR2000 sound was much smoother & richer than some of the other much more expensive hi-end arranger boards out there. This really trips me out because the price of the PSR2000 is MUCH less than half of what some of the top end arrangers sell for. Anyway, what really 'aced' the deal for me is the 30 day risk free trial and FULL refund if I end up deciding that the PSR2000 isn't for me. As I begin exploring & creating music this week on the PSR2000, I'll be providing my observations and will certainly have questions to ask of other Yamaha arranger keyboard players out there. I also plan to record a PSR2000 produced song (MP3) and hope to get feedback from you guys on it. OK, it's time to get this baby out of the box and start making music!
- Scott
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-11-2001).]

#139992 - 11/11/01 06:11 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Welcome To My World" (Jim Reeves)
I like it the PSR2000 a lot.
DonM

#139993 - 11/11/01 06:19 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

DonM: WOW, I "LOVE" that song too. Jim Reeves "Welcome To My World" is DEFINITELY one of my favorites I love performing. CLASSIC Country indeed! Glad to hear that we BOTH are playing the SAME keyboard AGAIN. - Scott

#139994 - 11/11/01 06:22 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
That did it for me Scott..Going to get mine tomorroe..lol

#139995 - 11/11/01 06:23 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
DonM Offline

Scott, check your email. I just sent you some "stuff".
DonM

#139996 - 11/11/01 09:56 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Roel Offline

Hi Scott,

Congrats my friend !
I hope you 'll enjoy this machine very much.
It takes more time than I expected to release the OS2.0 version for the SD1.
Please post your reviews on this forum.

Roel

#139997 - 11/11/01 11:35 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Not much more to say than CONGRATULATIONS and
have a lot of fun!
Do this mean goodbye Technics, or is it just
a addon?
Kind regards
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#139998 - 11/11/01 11:36 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
Hey Scott, GOOD LUCK with your new baby. Glad to hear you were so enthralled with it's atributes. Mine is coming tomorrow.

#139999 - 11/11/01 11:54 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Scott,
congratulations for the new PSR 2000; please, post a song on your website as soon as you can!
Andrea

#140000 - 11/12/01 12:12 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Jocko Offline

Scott,
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy and make beautiful music on it.
Terry

#140001 - 11/12/01 12:34 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
Scott,

Congratulations on your new keyboard, I hope you'll like to spend the years to come with the board. I am really curious how it sounds when you play it, so please record some songs and share them with us. (I know Scott.. I also had to do some! )

Sander
The Netherlands

#140002 - 11/12/01 02:27 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Congratulations on the psr2000 Scott. I'm really glad it recognizes the rootless chords you need. When you get the chance please let us know how the vocal harmony sounds and also the compressor/limiter on the mic input. The compressor/limiter feature has really peaked my interest in this kb.

#140003 - 11/12/01 03:13 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Scott,

Congrats! I just got mine a week ago, and am also blown away by its ease of use and tremendously realistic sounds and styles. Many keyboardists continuously judge this specific keyboard by its lack of pricy-ness (is that a word??) and non-pianolike feel. I have been playing synths for about 20 years now and, since their inception, synths play & feel like synths! Doubters should just listen to this awesome keyboard to fully appreciate its awesomeness!! (that IS a word!!)

Angelo

[This message has been edited by cam8neel (edited 11-12-2001).]

#140004 - 11/12/01 07:19 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Scott, how about HD and HD Manager for that
one?
are there any such stuff?
Looking forward to your second opinion after
some time of use.
Also about the connection/cooperate between the
(connected?) "babies"
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#140005 - 11/12/01 10:43 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Hey Scott
Congrats on the board, I hope you enjoy it
as much as I do the PRO. Can't wait to hear
your next update on your thoughts of the new
baby !!!!!!!!
Maybe I will have to get one also LOL !!!!!!
I will have to see what you think of it
after you play it for awhile.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#140006 - 11/12/01 11:05 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott,
welcome to the Yammi club...
I downloaded the 2000 styles from the net into my pro and share the same wow effect with you. In turn you can download the Pro styles on e-groups for your 2000 to give you more variety, plus the CVP-209 styles, plus hundreds more....
I'm glad that you finally found something, that might work for you.
Eric

#140007 - 11/12/01 04:45 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I just brought mine home a few hrs ago and I am also pleasantly surprised at the 2000s sounds and functions. It seems to be a nice upgrade over my 740 especially in the features dept, but also it seems to sound a bit better too. It gives me functions that I either did not have at all in the PSR740, or had to access via external xg editing software. Gonna be a nice board to bring to a gig, easier to navigate and play in real time than my PA80 I think, but it seems that it will also be pretty good for composing stuff on as well. The 740 was kind of sitting and getting very little use at home or in the studio while I mostly played my PA80, but I think the 2000 will share a good bit of playing time with the PA80 now. having purchased 3 different boards this year..it's time to give myself and my wallet a rest now and enjoy and use the boards I have..lol. I'll critique it more after spending some time with it.

AJ

#140008 - 11/12/01 04:51 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott
Nice to talk to you this morning and I hope you had the day to play your heart out on your new 2000. I'll be surprised if you don't fall in love with it!
Tom
PS: Remember to hit that record mode and email me a MIDI of some plaintiff, soulful tune you play! Or an upbeat number!

#140009 - 11/12/01 05:17 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Scott,

I hate to ask this but I have to. I notice when singing I don't pay half as much attention to the monotonous 4 bar loop rhythms on the arrangers.

However when I sequence something to play my sax, especially the up-tempo stuff that last 3 or more choruses they get very boring.

Can you tell if most styles are 4 bar loops. On the i30 there are small squares that show how many bars are in a particular style at the top of the screen. All you have to do is count them. Can you tell easily like this on the 2000? Or do you have to listen to tell.
thanks,
Boo

#140010 - 11/12/01 05:35 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
DonM Offline

Hi Boo,
Odd coincidence--I just sent you an email.
Most of the onboard styles are still 4-bar. Some are longer. I think by now all of the Korg Styles (along with most other brands) have been converted and are freely available on Yamaha Styles Group. The 2000 will play styles directly from disk in just a couple of seconds. You can call up a new one while current style is playing. There is built-in User memory for quite a few styles also.
When you visited me, you heard the 9000. The 2000 sounds much the same, although it does have some new styles, and the pre-set e.q.s sound more "alive" to me.
Don

#140011 - 11/13/01 12:30 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

First of all, thanks to EVERYONE who responded here for your best wishes to my new marriage with the PSR2000.

So far, it seems like this honeymoon is off to a good start. I had a chance to brighten up the rainy day Monday, playing and exploring its many features. I think the 2000's button design & layout ergonomic were well thought out. As on all the top end Yamaha arrangers, the arranger operation buttons (intro/ending, variation/fills, auto fill in, sync stop, sync start, and start/stop) are all conveniently situated in a row directly above where the left hand typically plays the auto accompaniment chords. I particularly like the way Yamaha integrates the SAME button(s) for 'fill in" as well as style pattern variations (A,B,C,D). This keeps excessive keyboard button clutter down.

On my Technics KN5000, I utilize a 4 pedal foot controller unit to activite 2 fills, endings and start/stop. The PSR9000 does not support a multi-pedal foot controller , so I was initially concerned how I would be able to trigger fills (to provide the spontaniety required for a truly realistic LIVE sounding rhythm section). Fortunately, after reviewing the PSR2000 manual, it appears that you can set up PSR2000 panel registrations (which include the chosen style variations A,B,C or D) for different parts of your song (AABA etc) and then assign one of the two (the other one I need assigned as a damper pedal) foot switch pedals to trigger panel registration memory changes. The great thing I like about the PSR2000 is that when you trigger a 'registration memory' change you can ALSO (optionally) have a fill-in automatically play before the new style variation begins. I had always WISHED that the Technics KN5000 supported this in its' Panel Registrations.

I still need to figure out how to best set up the PSR2000 for recalling 'Registration Memory' pre-sets (page 142 of the manual). It looks like there are a number of different options. I'm curious to find out 'what kind' of custom 'Registsration Memory' setup configurations other PSR2000 players are using (foot switch #1 and #2 assignments etc). I'd like to get feedback and advice from other PSR players on this.

So far I'm still pretty satisfied (I'm actually rather surprised that I am) with the 2000's acoustic piano sounds. Not as good as the 9000pro, SD1, or KN6500 acoutic piano, but certainly acceptable (at least for me), especially when comping & soloing in 'auto-accompaniment' mode. I'll let you know if my opinion changes over time.

Gunnar: Goodbye to Technics? NO WAY! At least not 'yet', anyway

Vic01: I tested out the vocalizer and am quite happy with its'sound quality. Not quite as clean as the outboard Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX, but still pretty dammed good. The Digitech Workstation offers quicker access to lead/harmony part level tweaking, but the convenience of having a 'built in' vocalizer on the PSR2000 is a definite PLUS and something I surely appreciate. I'll definitely be incorporating backup harmonies on more songs now. Vic, I saw the compressor/limitor knobs but didn't have to add any compression or limiting to my vocals to achieve acceptable vocals. BTW, there is also a red light on the keyboard which flashes to tell you if you are sending too hot of a vocal signal (distortion) to the mic/vocalizer section. There's both a mic gain input knob on the back of the keyboard as well as separate mic volume level control slider in the 'mic settings' page. As a singer/keyboardist, I only wished the PSR2000 supported a direct XLR (pro mic) input, but I guess at this 'price point', you can't expect to get EVERYTHING!

Boo: In response to your question about 'monotonous sounding' loops: I really didn't find the PSR2000's 4 bar loops objectionable. I find that by triggering 'fills' or 'breaks' (at 4 bar intervals and at other key places), as well as making style variation changes, keeps the styles from sounding canned (monotonous). The PSR2000 ALSO includes 4 programmable multi-PADS which can be used to trigger other sounds (drum hits, etc) which further helps to recreate the spark & realism of a LIVE performance. Still, it's important to remember that the FOCUS of the listener should be on YOU and your LIVE performance. The 'auto accompaniment' parts should only act as a 'supporting role' to your LIVE performance. Remember, YOU are the 'main ingredient', the auto accompaniment is the sauce, and the 'fills-ins, breaks, and multi pad sounds' are the spices to give your recipe added flavor. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think the PSR2000 is both intuitive and fun to play, so instead of having to spend weeks learning how to operate the thing, you can just start creating music 'right away'.

The manual is very well laid out and pretty easy to understand (so far), though there is a LOT of material to digest as the 2000 definitely is a featured PACKED keyboard. I centainly am having better luck with it than I had undertanding those old Roland & Korg manuals. I look forward to exploring and playing the PSR2000 tomorrow. I might even feel confident enough to take it out 'on the road' later this week.
[img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-13-2001).]

#140012 - 11/13/01 05:41 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi Scott. Thanks so much for the reply on the vocal harmonizer and the comp/limiter. I am currently using a headset mic so I can't "play" the microphone on louder vocal parts so a compresser/limiter would be the a really great addition. Sometimes I still use a mic in the mic stand and then it's no problem. If the vocal harmonizer is close to a digitech studio that is really saying something for a kb in that price range !! Way to go Yamaha !!

#140013 - 11/13/01 06:57 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Ditto to Frank's comments. The MFC-10 MIDI foot pedal is an essential item to me now when playing PSR9000. Can anyone among PSR2000 owners verify that whether PSR2000 supports the use of MFC-10 or not?

Thanks,

Paul Ip
from Texas

#140014 - 11/13/01 07:21 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
DonM Offline

While the Owner's Manual does not mention the MFC10, the midi specs indicate that all the commands are recognized. I don't see any reason the MFC10 wouldn't work. I don't have one. Maybe someone will try it and find out.
DonM

#140015 - 11/13/01 07:27 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Paul,
I'm pretty sure that the MFC10 is not supported by the 2000. I have one at my store and I'll try it when i arrive this morning and let you know for sure.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#140016 - 11/13/01 09:34 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Paul: Does the MFC10 use a 'specialized' multi pin 'din' plug? I think most multi-pedal controllers use this. I think George may be right on this, because the PSR2000's foot pedal socket receptacles are only the simple 1/4" type. I look forward to finding out George's test resuslts. In the meantime, I'll pray for a miracle! - Scott

#140017 - 11/13/01 10:52 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
George Kaye Offline

Scotty and Paul,
The MFC10 only uses midi to get in and out of the 9000. This is why I'm hoping it might work. I'm at my store right now and i thought I'd give a call to Yamaha before I start playing around.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#140018 - 11/13/01 11:28 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

hi George: This sounds ENCOURAGING! I look forward to hearing your test results.

#140019 - 11/13/01 12:09 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
George and Scott,

Yamaha MFC-10 MIDI foot pedal only uses standard MIDI connections. If the PSR2000 uses the same MIDI commands to trigger start, stop, fills, break, etc., as the ones used in PSR9000/9000 Pro, then using PSR9000/9000 Pro's built-in MIDI template for MFC-10 to initialize MFC-10, then connect the MFC-10 to the MIDI in port of PSR2000, then the MFC-10 should be able to drive PSR2000 the same way it drives PSR9000/9000 Pro. Even if the MIDI commands that trigger PSR2000's start, stop, fills etc. are different from PSR9000/9000 Pro's, if we can find out what exact MIDI commands for PSR2000, the MFC-10 should be a perfect fit for foot controller of PSR2000 due to its swift design - 13 configurable pedals, a built-in expression pedal, with LED illumination that allows operation in total darkness using conventional MIDI connections.

Looking forward to Yamaha's reply from George,

Paul Ip
from Texas

#140020 - 11/13/01 01:12 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
DonM Offline

That's what I said earlier--the midi paramaters are there. It should simply be a matter of sending the proper commands.
DonM

#140021 - 11/13/01 04:55 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
George Kaye Offline

Paul,
I loaded the template into the MFC10 and found that it only was playing bass notes on the PSR2000. However, after talking to Yamaha, we are sure that the values can be programmed into the MFC10 in order to trigger anything you want. I need more time to play with it. I noticed that the midi channel the MFC10 defaults to from the 9000 pro was 16, so maybe all I need to do is change the midi channel. I wish I knew more about the MFC10, but neither did my buddy at yamaha. It is sold through their pro keyboard division and not the PSR division. I'll find out more!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#140022 - 11/13/01 07:29 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

Thanks George for your continuing effort to crack the MFC10/PSR2000 mystery.

The suspense CONTINUES! . . .

#140023 - 11/14/01 03:30 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
Scott,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Yamaha!

I've been scarce around here because I picked up an iMac computer and am still trying to learn to use it (as well as learning the intricacies of recording into from my 8-tracker as the Mac generates "AIFF" sound files and not MP3 as I am used to on my old PC) so I regret not being able to see/answer anything in your original inquiry post, but I am happy with this keyboard.

I will still keep my PSR740 as it offers some different styles and I am already quite used to it, but I am sure you will be happy with the 2K. It appears to be getting rave reviews not just here, but at some of the other boards I frequent as well.

Good luck, and hope to hear a new song from ya soon!

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Wong_Songs/index-1.html

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online