SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140011 - 11/13/01 12:30 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
First of all, thanks to EVERYONE who responded here for your best wishes to my new marriage with the PSR2000.

So far, it seems like this honeymoon is off to a good start. I had a chance to brighten up the rainy day Monday, playing and exploring its many features. I think the 2000's button design & layout ergonomic were well thought out. As on all the top end Yamaha arrangers, the arranger operation buttons (intro/ending, variation/fills, auto fill in, sync stop, sync start, and start/stop) are all conveniently situated in a row directly above where the left hand typically plays the auto accompaniment chords. I particularly like the way Yamaha integrates the SAME button(s) for 'fill in" as well as style pattern variations (A,B,C,D). This keeps excessive keyboard button clutter down.

On my Technics KN5000, I utilize a 4 pedal foot controller unit to activite 2 fills, endings and start/stop. The PSR9000 does not support a multi-pedal foot controller , so I was initially concerned how I would be able to trigger fills (to provide the spontaniety required for a truly realistic LIVE sounding rhythm section). Fortunately, after reviewing the PSR2000 manual, it appears that you can set up PSR2000 panel registrations (which include the chosen style variations A,B,C or D) for different parts of your song (AABA etc) and then assign one of the two (the other one I need assigned as a damper pedal) foot switch pedals to trigger panel registration memory changes. The great thing I like about the PSR2000 is that when you trigger a 'registration memory' change you can ALSO (optionally) have a fill-in automatically play before the new style variation begins. I had always WISHED that the Technics KN5000 supported this in its' Panel Registrations.

I still need to figure out how to best set up the PSR2000 for recalling 'Registration Memory' pre-sets (page 142 of the manual). It looks like there are a number of different options. I'm curious to find out 'what kind' of custom 'Registsration Memory' setup configurations other PSR2000 players are using (foot switch #1 and #2 assignments etc). I'd like to get feedback and advice from other PSR players on this.

So far I'm still pretty satisfied (I'm actually rather surprised that I am) with the 2000's acoustic piano sounds. Not as good as the 9000pro, SD1, or KN6500 acoutic piano, but certainly acceptable (at least for me), especially when comping & soloing in 'auto-accompaniment' mode. I'll let you know if my opinion changes over time.

Gunnar: Goodbye to Technics? NO WAY! At least not 'yet', anyway

Vic01: I tested out the vocalizer and am quite happy with its'sound quality. Not quite as clean as the outboard Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX, but still pretty dammed good. The Digitech Workstation offers quicker access to lead/harmony part level tweaking, but the convenience of having a 'built in' vocalizer on the PSR2000 is a definite PLUS and something I surely appreciate. I'll definitely be incorporating backup harmonies on more songs now. Vic, I saw the compressor/limitor knobs but didn't have to add any compression or limiting to my vocals to achieve acceptable vocals. BTW, there is also a red light on the keyboard which flashes to tell you if you are sending too hot of a vocal signal (distortion) to the mic/vocalizer section. There's both a mic gain input knob on the back of the keyboard as well as separate mic volume level control slider in the 'mic settings' page. As a singer/keyboardist, I only wished the PSR2000 supported a direct XLR (pro mic) input, but I guess at this 'price point', you can't expect to get EVERYTHING!

Boo: In response to your question about 'monotonous sounding' loops: I really didn't find the PSR2000's 4 bar loops objectionable. I find that by triggering 'fills' or 'breaks' (at 4 bar intervals and at other key places), as well as making style variation changes, keeps the styles from sounding canned (monotonous). The PSR2000 ALSO includes 4 programmable multi-PADS which can be used to trigger other sounds (drum hits, etc) which further helps to recreate the spark & realism of a LIVE performance. Still, it's important to remember that the FOCUS of the listener should be on YOU and your LIVE performance. The 'auto accompaniment' parts should only act as a 'supporting role' to your LIVE performance. Remember, YOU are the 'main ingredient', the auto accompaniment is the sauce, and the 'fills-ins, breaks, and multi pad sounds' are the spices to give your recipe added flavor. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think the PSR2000 is both intuitive and fun to play, so instead of having to spend weeks learning how to operate the thing, you can just start creating music 'right away'.

The manual is very well laid out and pretty easy to understand (so far), though there is a LOT of material to digest as the 2000 definitely is a featured PACKED keyboard. I centainly am having better luck with it than I had undertanding those old Roland & Korg manuals. I look forward to exploring and playing the PSR2000 tomorrow. I might even feel confident enough to take it out 'on the road' later this week.
[img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-13-2001).]

#140012 - 11/13/01 05:41 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi Scott. Thanks so much for the reply on the vocal harmonizer and the comp/limiter. I am currently using a headset mic so I can't "play" the microphone on louder vocal parts so a compresser/limiter would be the a really great addition. Sometimes I still use a mic in the mic stand and then it's no problem. If the vocal harmonizer is close to a digitech studio that is really saying something for a kb in that price range !! Way to go Yamaha !!

#140013 - 11/13/01 06:57 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Ditto to Frank's comments. The MFC-10 MIDI foot pedal is an essential item to me now when playing PSR9000. Can anyone among PSR2000 owners verify that whether PSR2000 supports the use of MFC-10 or not?

Thanks,

Paul Ip
from Texas

#140014 - 11/13/01 07:21 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
While the Owner's Manual does not mention the MFC10, the midi specs indicate that all the commands are recognized. I don't see any reason the MFC10 wouldn't work. I don't have one. Maybe someone will try it and find out.
DonM

#140015 - 11/13/01 07:27 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Paul,
I'm pretty sure that the MFC10 is not supported by the 2000. I have one at my store and I'll try it when i arrive this morning and let you know for sure.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#140016 - 11/13/01 09:34 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Paul: Does the MFC10 use a 'specialized' multi pin 'din' plug? I think most multi-pedal controllers use this. I think George may be right on this, because the PSR2000's foot pedal socket receptacles are only the simple 1/4" type. I look forward to finding out George's test resuslts. In the meantime, I'll pray for a miracle! - Scott

#140017 - 11/13/01 10:52 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Scotty and Paul,
The MFC10 only uses midi to get in and out of the 9000. This is why I'm hoping it might work. I'm at my store right now and i thought I'd give a call to Yamaha before I start playing around.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#140018 - 11/13/01 11:28 AM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Scottyee Offline

hi George: This sounds ENCOURAGING! I look forward to hearing your test results.

#140019 - 11/13/01 12:09 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
George and Scott,

Yamaha MFC-10 MIDI foot pedal only uses standard MIDI connections. If the PSR2000 uses the same MIDI commands to trigger start, stop, fills, break, etc., as the ones used in PSR9000/9000 Pro, then using PSR9000/9000 Pro's built-in MIDI template for MFC-10 to initialize MFC-10, then connect the MFC-10 to the MIDI in port of PSR2000, then the MFC-10 should be able to drive PSR2000 the same way it drives PSR9000/9000 Pro. Even if the MIDI commands that trigger PSR2000's start, stop, fills etc. are different from PSR9000/9000 Pro's, if we can find out what exact MIDI commands for PSR2000, the MFC-10 should be a perfect fit for foot controller of PSR2000 due to its swift design - 13 configurable pedals, a built-in expression pedal, with LED illumination that allows operation in total darkness using conventional MIDI connections.

Looking forward to Yamaha's reply from George,

Paul Ip
from Texas

#140020 - 11/13/01 01:12 PM Re: Even I can't believe this: I just bought a Yamaha PSR2000 !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That's what I said earlier--the midi paramaters are there. It should simply be a matter of sending the proper commands.
DonM

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online