SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#13996 - 02/14/02 07:32 PM ZR76 sequencing to a PC..anybody familiar?
LifeForceExplorer Offline

Loc: Kentield, California USA
Anybody sequencing to a computer with the ZR76 out there? Can it be done DIRECTLY, while playing, to a software sequencing program on your computer? Do you HAFTA make your sequences in the internal sequencer first and then carry a physical floppy over to your computer? How could you POSSIBLY make musical CHANGES after its in your PC and HEAR anything while you are PLAYING the changes??? THANKS.

#13997 - 10/01/02 10:20 PM Re: ZR76 sequencing to a PC..anybody familiar?
babytrash Offline

Loc: Footscray, Victoria, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by LifeForceExplorer:
Anybody sequencing to a computer with the ZR76 out there? Can it be done DIRECTLY, while playing, to a software sequencing program on your computer? Do you HAFTA make your sequences in the internal sequencer first and then carry a physical floppy over to your computer? How could you POSSIBLY make musical CHANGES after its in your PC and HEAR anything while you are PLAYING the changes??? THANKS.

I can only assume that the ZR76 has the same OS as my MR76 and can empathise with you, but if it is the same, let me say it is possible. Check out MRTIP FINDER's information on the Ensoniq info page at this site for some clues.
You can only hear one track at a time if you're in Soundfinder - but that way you can play and record control changes into a sequencer.
If you have several tracks running, the only way I can do that is in song mode and use/record another controller keyboard which is playing the sound assigned to the MR76.
Different keyboards, I know, but I hope that helps.
Hooroo
Babytrash
Melbourne, Australia

#13998 - 10/02/02 12:27 AM Re: ZR76 sequencing to a PC..anybody familiar?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Babytrash, although this reply is off topic, I see you are from my home town Melbourne although I have not been back there for many years being based in Southern California. What part of Melbourne are you based in ? Are you playing any gigs around the suburbs there ? Back in the 80s I played with a synth pop band and opened for Divynals and INXS on quite a few occasions at the Doncaster Inn and the Richard Clapton band at many venues around town. It's always nice to see Melbourne musicians online.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-02-2002).]

#13999 - 10/02/02 08:52 AM Re: ZR76 sequencing to a PC..anybody familiar?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by LifeForceExplorer:

There are a couple of ways to record from the ZR-76 to a sequencer:

1. Using Soundfinder, move to the very last sound, called MIDI. Using an external sequencer, you can play the ZR and record the MIDI events. You can set up multiple tracks on the external sequencer (setting a different MIDI channel for each track) and you can play back up to 16 tracks concurrently. In this mode, you are not using the ZR internal sequencer at all, so you will not have access to the drum patterns. To convert drum patterns, use one of the following methods.

2. You can create a sequence on the 16 track recorder in the ZR. But I think that in order to send it out to the external sequencer, you have to change the sound to a MIDI sound as above, and set the MIDI channel. For example, to play the ZR sequencer and record the drum arrangement into an external sequencer, change the sound on the drum track (say track 10 on the ZR) to MIDI and play the sequence while recording on the external sequencer. When you do this, you will hear no sound from the ZR, but the MIDI events will play and be recorded on the sequencer. You also will probably want to sync the ZR and the sequencer. You can either generate the MIDI sync from the sequencer and slave the ZR or the other way around.

3. As you suggested, save the sequence onto floppy and sneaker it to the PC.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online