SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#13977 - 03/25/00 09:05 AM ASR-10 & Amplifiers: What to get?
GaryR47 Offline

Loc: Edmond, OK, USA
I am looking for a small, inexpensive amplifier to use with my ASR-10, just so I can play for family and friends, and so I can hear myself without my headphones on.

The problem is that I am confused as to just what will work with the ASR-10, and what my technical needs are. Do I need a preamp, and if so, speakers? Do I need a keyboard amp, and if so, are there any that have stereo inputs for each of the ASR-10's stereo outputs? Or, do I need a reference amp, or a power amp? What's the difference? Am I going to need to buy separate speakers, too? This shouldn't be this complex; all i want is to hear myself play without using @!!**?!! headphones.

Please email me, as I will not be back here for some time. Thanks.

Gary

#13978 - 03/25/00 12:22 PM Re: ASR-10 & Amplifiers: What to get?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary, your needs are simple. Don't get all worked up over this. You have several inexpensive, lightweight choices, and ENDLESS expensive, complicated ones! First:
1) If stereo is not that important - you can use any brand of keyboard amp on the market today. Some nice choices are Yorkville, Peavey, Samson, Fender . . . get the idea?
2) If you require stereo to keep you happy - you can buy two small amps and plug in directly with no mixer needed. The only bad side to this system is - you have to make two sets of tone and volume settings to get a good balance. In the REAL world - it makes little difference. Plug it in and turn it up till it sounds good. Then don't mess with it!
3) If "Really tiny" speakers are attractive to you - there are a number of decent systems made for computer sound by Roland, Yamaha, Fostex. They often come with a sub-woofer and two satilite top end speakers. All powered. Just plug in a stereo cord and you're set to go.
4) Buy an amp with a horn for the high frequency. This will make your piano and string sounds come to life. A "guitar" amp will not reproduce all the frequency range that a modern synth can generate. If you have a strict budget and size requirements - tell me and I'll be more specific for you.

------------------
Uncle Dave

#13979 - 03/25/00 04:24 PM Re: ASR-10 & Amplifiers: What to get?
GaryR47 Offline

Thanks, Dave, for the quick response. I think I'll just take the simpler approach and use a single keyboard amp. However, I still wonder about the inputs/outputs. I mean, the output from the left channel of the ASR-10 isn't the same as the output from the right channel (or is it?), so, won't it sound different trhough an amplifier, depending upon which ASR-10 output the signal is coming from? I know the amp's going to produce a monaural output (sound), and this will make the ASR-10 sound a bit flat to the listener.

Maybe the powered stereo speakers are a better idea, but I tried this once before, with a pair of Sony powered speakers. There was no sound produced by the speakers at all, so evidently, I need a preamplifier between the ASR-10 and the powered stereo speakers, right?

Gary

#13980 - 03/25/00 10:45 PM Re: ASR-10 & Amplifiers: What to get?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary, If the Sony speakers were powered, even a little - you would have heard something. Sounds to me like they were not powered, unless some other spooky thing is going on! If the keyboard outs are not labled "left . . .right/mono" or something like that - then you need a "Y" cable before you plug into the amp.

------------------
Uncle Dave

#13981 - 03/26/00 09:26 AM Re: ASR-10 & Amplifiers: What to get?
GaryR47 Offline

Well, Dave, I did a little hunting around, mostly on Peavey's website, last night. I think the Peavey HKS 8 Biamplified Speaker makes the best sense for me. It has stereo inputs and the other features sound good, plus it reasonably priced ($299 list), so, problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Gary

#13982 - 03/26/00 08:45 PM Re: ASR-10 & Amplifiers: What to get?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
if you have a stereo with video/auxilery input, you can just buy two 1/4 inch instrument cables, and two 1/4" to RCA adapters and then play your ASR-10 through the stereo... all in all, this'll cost you about 30$.

#13983 - 03/27/00 05:21 PM Re: ASR-10 & Amplifiers: What to get?
GaryR47 Offline

Thanks, Cloak, but there are other considerations, such as impedance. I wouldn't want to blow my stereo speakers. Also, there might be a problem wityh feedback, since I'd be in close proximity to the speakers. Another thing: my stereo is downstairs and really don't feel like lugging it up here just to use it as an amp for my keyboard, or vice versa. I tried that method, ages ago, with an electric guitar plugged directly into a stereo. I got horrendous distortion and loads of feedback...plus I eventually blew the speakers. I think I'll just stick with the Peavey, instead.

Gary

#13984 - 03/27/00 06:55 PM Re: ASR-10 & Amplifiers: What to get?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Not wanting to lug yer ASR-10 up and down stairs is a good enough reason for me, god knows i know just how heavy that beast is

As for feedback, the reason why you got feedback with your guitar was because the audio signal from the speakers was going through your pick up an infinite number of times. This can only happen w/ your ASR if you plug a mic into the audio input and have the audio tracks turned on.

As for blowing your speakers, as long as you keep your volume at a reasonable level, you have nothing to worry about. If you want to exercise caution, turn the volume all the way down on the stereo when you turn it on and have the ASR already plugged in before you turn it on... then you can hit a key and then raise the volume to a reasonable level...

i understand you wanting an amp, and i say go for it. i'm not trying to dissuade you. Maybe one day you'll be in a situation where all you have is a stereo system and hopefully my tips will help you out if that day ever comes ;-)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online