SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139460 - 10/17/04 06:41 AM Played the new DGX 505
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Im up in Erie PA this weekend. Paid a visit to the local music store to try out a few keyboards.

New DGX model 505:
I found this to be a really nice 88 key keyboard. The piano sounds great. Some of the other voices lacked in areas such as bass and drums. The sweet saprano is awsome. The screen was a good addition as well as the smart media slot. I think if this keyboard allowed you to edit the sounds (even) as basic as that on the Casio WK's the board would really be great. For an affordable 88 key keyboard you can't go worng with this model. I do however think that the unit would have really benefited with better quality speakers with a little more umph to them. The key action felt great too. The pitchbend wheel felt a little flimsy to me though. If I had the dough I'd buy one for myself. It's well worth every penny.

I played the Motif ES again and all I can say is DAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the term orgasmic applies to the sensation one gets from the Motif

I also played the lower model Yamaha digitals, can't recall the name of them. They're below the P120's. There are two models, silver and black. Didnt' care for either one. Selecting sounds is not well thought out because you have to press the sound key and then press one of the piano keys. There should be dedicated buttons for the sounds. The sound quality isn't great, and the speakers left me saying blahhhhhh.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-17-2004).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#139461 - 10/17/04 06:52 AM Re: Played the new DGX 505
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-15-2008).]

#139462 - 10/17/04 06:07 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Squeak,
still waiting for my dgx to arrive. Thanks for the good review ( gives me a bit more confidence as I'd basically bought sight unseen).

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by squeak_D:
[B]New DGX model 505:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#139463 - 10/17/04 11:40 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The DGX-505 is in the words of Yamaha: "a Keyboard for the novice and or those just starting out on Keyboard or Piano".

It is a good priced 88 Key Arranger that has a good Piano sound plus other good sounds too. But remember it does not have any Main Outputs just a Phono/Line Out, Midi In/Out plus USB. The Keys are once again cheesy IMO and have nowhere near the feel and action of a real Piano. The speakers are half the wattage of the PSR 2000/3000 and it has only - cough, cough: 32 notes of Polyphony. But at least Yamaha acknowledges the fact that it's not for seasoned players who want professional features. So they're upfront about it anyway.

The price is right if you're a beginner who just wants to piddle and play around at home and cheesy keys don't bother you. But if you want an Arranger that gives you much more in the way of Professional features and you still need 88 keys then I'm sorry but Yamaha doesn't make such a Model to fulfill your needs. In fact none of the Arranger Manufacturers make an 88 Key 'Pro' Arranger to my knowledge. >> The key here is "PRO"fessional btw. Well..., I take that back. GEM makes an 88 Key Arranger that they tout as Professional but Korg says the same thing about their SP-500 so I'm not sure what they mean when they use that term, i.e. "Professional Arranger Workstation" on their site. Plus GEM skyrocketed their prices if you've noticed. The Genesys PRO (61 Key) is listed on GEM's web site factory direct for $5,199.99

Maybe that's why GEM personnel seem to be taking a back seat to posting here on the SZ anymore. They're either too embarrassed at what their Employer is charging for their Keyboards or they're sniffing out other Forums to see if members there have 'muchos de dinero', i.e. "deep, and I mean deeeeeepppppp - pockets".

I do like the concept of their Instrument Of Praise Keyboard though. But at $3,199.95 they should throw in the kitchen sink if it's not already in there. And it doesn't help matters when you want to check it out and the links are broken. Arrrgh!!!!

Best regards,
Mike

#139464 - 10/18/04 04:48 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Mike,
I'm getting it as a portable controller (or I should say it's more portable than my clp170 haa haa) it's something I can put in the car and not have to panic about damaging ( I'm getting the DGX305). Also it will give me a bit of an A/B reference point for tweaking my psr styles for my new set up.

I'm going down the software route as my current arranger ( thanks to Frank).
My current arranger consists of Yamaha CLP170 piano, a laptop with OMB software and a combination of the CLP170/Edirol Hypercanvas as my soundsource. Decided to try something new and different.

Actually plugging the DGX into my stereo system or even into the clp170 should enhance the overall sound.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B]The DGX-505 is in the words of Yamaha: "a Keyboard for the novice and or those just starting out on Keyboard or Piano".

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#139465 - 10/18/04 06:43 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi

I played a DGX500 yesterday. Really, for the money it's a lot of instrument, IMHO.

I could see it as being a back up to the Tyros. I suppose the way it sounds one would have to run a jack out of the phones connection.

Actually, if I were to get a backup, I'd prefer it in a 61 note soft organ, keyboard touch. Which model would that be? Anybody know for sure?

Something inexpensive like that could easily be used. Although, using the numbered keypad might be a little challenge for live play.

Actually, my best choice would probably have another PSR2000 as a backup. They sounded very good, and really from my experience I believe I like it better than the PSR3000 I tried.

Best
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 10-18-2004).]

#139466 - 10/18/04 07:02 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mike,

Did you actually play the 550 or did you just post from nformation posted on Yamaha's web site? If so, you kinda' forgot the other great features such as the SM card and USB storage, plus a host of other neat stuff not found in many boards that are considerably more expensive. IMO this board offers a lot of versitility, good sounds, more keys than I need and many of the outstanding styles found in the Tyros.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#139467 - 10/18/04 09:56 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Mike,

Did you actually play the 550 or did you just post from nformation posted on Yamaha's web site? If so, you kinda' forgot the other great features such as the SM card and USB storage, plus a host of other neat stuff not found in many boards that are considerably more expensive.
Gary

Gary, I indeed DID 'play' the DGX-505, at Costco and also at a Guitar Center near where I live. The Keys were slightly better than the PSR 2000 and probably the same as the PSR 3000 which I also recently played at GC. Yes, that's right. The PSR 3000 also has IMO a slightly better key feel than my PSR 2000 but both, i.e., the DGX-505 and the PSR 3000 still leave a LOT to be desired IMO. I suppose I really am becoming a connoisseur when it comes to excellent Key action on a Keyboard. I'm becoming more aware of what constitutes [makes for] an excellent Keybed and the ones that just don't cut the mustard in my opinion. For instance; I've now owned my Tyros over a year now and try to play it as much as possible. I consider the Tyros Keybed a very good synth-action Keybed that is similar to the Motif/ES - I having also owned both of those Boards at different points in time. There is room for improvement of course and I hope Yamaha improves the Keybed even more so on the new Tyros II. Time will tell. When I get a hankerin' to play my PSR 2000 I come away many times with my hands 'aching' from what I believe is a lack of support (for the hands) on the PSR 2000's Keybed. Mushy, spongy, flimsy, funky, and of course cheesy. OTOH the Tyros NEVER makes my hands ache after playing it - in some cases for hours on end!

Recognizing and appreciating excellent Keybed action in a Keyboard is like the conundrum between High Speed Internet and Dial Up. Once you've tasted it, i.e. - (recognized, appreciated, and relished the advantages) of High Speed Internet you NEVER want to go back to Dial Up. It is that simple. And it's the same with an excellent Keybed action vs. a poor Keybed action in a Keyboard. At least to me it is anyway.

Btw Gary, I did state in my original post that I thought the DGX-505 was [for the 'money'] a good starter Keyboard (for the novice as Yamaha suggested it be geared toward); that also has a good Piano sound[s] with other good sounds in it. So I hope you realize I'm not completely dissing it. I was just stating it was not a good choice for the Professional Musician who also wants professional features and functionality. Like Main Outputs for one. I could go on about its shortcomings but I've already done so to some extent in my previous post.

But don't get me wrong. For the Home Hobbyist it is a good Board for the money with many good sounds and, yes; a Smart Media slot also. But for the Gigging Musician or those who demand more from a Keyboard in the way of PRO features and functionality, the DGX-505 is a stretch at best IMO.

Best regards,
Mike

#139468 - 10/18/04 10:29 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Scott,
I get the impression that the socket is designed for headphones/output. One of the guys in the dgx group suggested I run it through the stereo.
It'll give me something instant to play while I work on my software based arranger
system. ( I'm just hoping I've got the patience & dedication that Frank has haahaa)
I did look at the little psr450, but it didn't have usb and I didn't want to go down the road of getting usb/midi interfaces. My laptop only has usb connection.
I was after something inexpensive & it will do the trick.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
[B]Hi

I suppose the way it sounds one would have to run a jack out of the phones connection.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#139469 - 10/19/04 12:04 AM Re: Played the new DGX 505
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Rikki

Those DGX's are a big bang for the buck, no question about it. I could easily play out with one, and I would be comfortable with it and I know the audience would enjoy it. It just amazes me how inexpensively they can build these things now.

The stereo should sound nice. I think you also have aux inputs on the back of your clavinova.

All you need is a stereo mini plug to two RCA jacks for the stereo. If you want to use it with your CLP (if it has aux in) just get two adaptors that have RCA female and 1/4 inch males and that would work fine too.

Then again maybe they have the Logitech Z2200 or Z2300 in Australia. Just about everyone that has gotten them here loves them and even play out with them. 200 watts, and can be gotten here between about $60 - $110 depending on the deal going with rebates etc.

If I didn't have the JBL Eon's I believe I would get some also, but not really necessary in my situation.

Good to hear from you Rikki, hope you and your hubby are doing well.

Best
Scott

#139470 - 10/19/04 02:16 AM Re: Played the new DGX 505
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I must be one of those novices that like to piddle about at home that Mike talks about.
I only started on piano as recently as 1932 and have been playing for money since 1940 or thereabouts, so what do I know? Although, as I said previously I bought the DGX 505 as a practice instrument to save setting Tyros up between gigs I would also be quite happy to use it "on the job" if circumstances made it necessary.
I know that it does not have a true piano keyboard touch BUT that suits me fine.
It is similar enough to the Tyros not to confuse my poor old fingers and even poorer old brain. I have played it through both of the amp set-ups that I use through the headphone socket and it does not sound a lot different to Tyros. Certainly the public would not notice it. True it does not have many of the features of Tyros but what the hell do you expect for 400 quid. (Pounds, for non-Brits).

I am sure Rikki that when you get yours you will be as happy as I am.

All the best...Trevor

#139471 - 10/19/04 03:55 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Scott,
the clavinova definitely has inputs, I've been running my laptop & software through it.

I've actually got a pair of Tannoy speakers which I used to run through a Harmon Kardon amp. I may have to get a new amp as I don't think I'll be able to part my son from it ( haahaa) We'll be moving soon to our holiday house up the coast, and I'll finally have a music room where I can set everything up including my stereo.

Hubby is improving gradually, which is a real releif. (Thank you for asking) Now all I have to do is help him find a hobby, so that I can get on with mine ( haahaa)

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Rikki

The stereo should sound nice. I think you also have aux inputs on the back of your clavinova.

Then again maybe they have the Logitech Z2200 or Z2300 in Australia.

Good to hear from you Rikki, hope you and your hubby are doing well.

Best
Scott

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#139472 - 10/19/04 05:07 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Trevor,
actually it will be intersting to compare the sounds between it and my Clavinova (clp170) The Clav's got the full 480 xg sounds plus some beautiful piano's, strings etc
whereas the dgx has 361 xg lite voices
plus 121 normal voices
plus some cool , sweet & live voices

I'm hoping the xg sets in both instruments sound reasonably similar which would be a bit of a bonus in my style editing endevours ( I know I can't edit styles in the dgx , but I do edit styles via OMB arranger software).

Anyway , hopefully it's only going to be a few more days till I get it.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by trevorjohn:
I have played it through both of the amp set-ups that I use through the headphone socket and it does not sound a lot different to Tyros.
I am sure Rikki that when you get yours you will be as happy as I am.

All the best...Trevor

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#139473 - 10/20/04 09:52 AM Re: Played the new DGX 505
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Rikki,
I'm just being nosey. If your clavinova has XG and inputs, why are you trying to go the software route to play the XG voices? Why not MIDI up OMB/computer with your Clavinova? You wouldn't have to tweak the drums, or the styles at all. It would play correctly, right out of the box.
I would expect XG light on the DG305 to be similar to the Clavinova.
Starkeeper

#139474 - 10/20/04 07:53 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
a lot of of the psr styles play reasonably well with the clavinova xg voices
(they need a bit of tweaking here & there )and I do use omb with the clav's xg voices.

The softsynth etc is basically a long term project for me.
I have a bad habit of regularly changing keyboards ( which I'm hoping to stop).
I figured if I do end up tempted again, I'll still have the softsynth & omb software. So any work I've put into the system, won't go totally to waste.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#139475 - 10/17/05 03:19 AM Re: Played the new DGX 505
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Just got a DGX-305. I bought it because I need an arranger to use on gigs, and I didn't want anything expensive that I had to guard with my life. After playing around with this thing I came to one conclusion. This thing is awsome!!! It costs nothing, and sounds great! The onboard speakers, are to weak to show the true potensial of the voices in this machine. I hooked it up to my PA system, and man it rocked! The SMF arranging feature is great! It's real easy to use, and it is a lot of instrument for it's price. Only two things that disappoints me. I wished that you could load more than one style at a time from the SmartMedia card. Or that you could play the styles directly from the card. Because in a live situation loading styles to memory takes to long. And I wished it had a "Drum & Bass" setting, so that you could switch off the "fluff" in the comp if needed. Other that that it's awsome!

Doc-Z

#139476 - 10/17/05 11:42 AM Re: Played the new DGX 505
ChuckHall Offline

Loc: Bozeman, MT USA
Doc,
I also have a DGX-305 which I think is a great value for the money too. I put a 64 meg SmartMedia card in it which I got for next to nothing on e-bay. It is just my home keyboard.
As you say, it seems you can only have one user style which is disappointing. You can have 900+ midi files loaded. I am not happy with the two main Grand Live! and Warm Grand Live! piano voices. They sound great in the middle registars but the upper scales sound "thin"(I don't know if that's the word) and dull to me. Luckily, the third voice which is the regular Grand voice sounds great to me in all octaves and that's what I usually use. I find that I need to have the panel-sustain on most of the time or the sound decays too fast for me. I use a pedal sustain as well sometimes. The keyboard action is more like a piano then the keyboard I was used to. All in all, I like it.
Chuck

#139477 - 10/17/05 12:33 PM Re: Played the new DGX 505
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me

"Plus GEM skyrocketed their prices if you've noticed. The Genesys PRO (61 Key) is listed on GEM's web site factory direct for $5,199.99"

GEM also sells to distributors and I would guess it's their policy not to undercut their distributor prices

"Maybe that's why GEM personnel seem to be taking a back seat to posting here on the SZ anymore. They're either too embarrassed at what their Employer is charging for their Keyboards or they're sniffing out other Forums to see if members there have 'muchos de dinero', i.e. "deep, and I mean deeeeeepppppp - pockets". "

I have had a total of 3 Gem products and have gotten teriffic suport. I can assure you there are some decent prices out there. I think so much Buzz is going on about the Tyros 2 VS Korg Roland Etc that a lot of posting will not get much air time -Just a guess.

" I do like the concept of their Instrument Of Praise Keyboard though. But at $3,199.95 they should throw in the kitchen sink if it's not already in there. And it doesn't help matters when you want to check it out and the links are broken. Arrrgh!!!! "

The broken links are a NO No, This they should be bugged about and I will do just that .

I will also tell you I got good deal on my Gensys XP and I bought it fom a GEM distributor. All else being equal my experience has been a very high build quality in their products - So Far anyway.

I've had Yamaha PSR2000, Kurzweil K2600s, Technics KN7000 for comparison.

Jerry

#139478 - 11/15/08 03:54 AM Re: Played the new DGX 505
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am new to MIDI.
How do I import new styles from a SmartMedia card into my Yamaha DGX 505?

Where can I obtain sample style files to try it out?

MikeR

#139479 - 11/15/08 10:13 AM Re: Played the new DGX 505
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

I dont know how to import styles from SmartMedia cards; but I know where to find styles!

Try the sites listed at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/stylesites.htm

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online