SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#139360 - 10/20/00 10:54 AM Re: NEW PSR 9000 STYLES AGAIN.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think that the problem with Yamaha speaker distortion has more to do with gain settings than speaker quality. If you increase the section volumes you'll get a louder, cleaner sound.
Don

#139361 - 10/20/00 12:05 PM Re: NEW PSR 9000 STYLES AGAIN.
Shakil Offline

DonM
The Rerverb effect is to emmulate the effect of instrument being played in a hall or some other environment. When you are in a studio it makes sense to use reverb. But if you are playing live, I don't think you need reverb, because you will get natural reverb from the hall you are performing in. If you put reverb effect while performing live, the sound will become too mushy and will hide behind pillows.

Cut down the reverb and you will see the difference when you play live. Compensate for the volume drop from reverb by turning up the volume...... and you will be "in your face" heaven.

#139362 - 10/20/00 01:58 PM Re: NEW PSR 9000 STYLES AGAIN.
Paul A Smith Offline

Hi Uncle Dave,

Again I come to the defence of my beloved PSR9000, the bass is factory set in a neutral position, each part left,R1,R2,R3 and the eight style parts have their own independent Hi and Low EQ settings as well as a global EQ with the usual bands, if I need extra bass I just up the Low EQ on the style, at full setting the bass is just incredible, no distortion at all, even at high volumes.
I tested the PSR9000 speakers using some dedicated XG midi files containing both acoustic bass and electronic bass, with factory EQ setting bass is ok, but turn up the EQ on the song part and it's real floor shaking stuff, but not keyboard shaking, this is probably due the wooden speaker enclosures, they insulate the speakers from the plastic case.
The PSR9000 is definately not a keyboard to be taken at face value, it takes many months to realise the mediocre factory settings only exploit a tenth of what it is truely capable of, my PSR9000 is almost coming up to it's first birthday and it just gets better and better the more I explore.
Now I know I can get new Yamaha styles from ITALY that are at least as good as any of the competition I think I am in arranger keyboard heaven.

Paul.

#139363 - 10/20/00 02:17 PM Re: NEW PSR 9000 STYLES AGAIN.
Dnj Online   content

Paul said....<"it takes many months to realise the mediocre factory settings only exploit a tenth of what it is truely capable of, my PSR9000 is almost coming up to it's first birthday and it just gets better and better the more I explore.">

Nice post Paul and your statement is so true.
I think we all try out a keyboard in the stores or wherever and I am guilty also of this, after hearing them all you will sometimes say to your self "Nahh... this doesn't sound right" after only 15 minutes of testing. Thats when Your statement should start flashing on the keyboard screen as an alert to perspective buyers that with Custom Editing that perticular keyboard could sound like this and then a DEMO starts playing to show many many different audio, vocal, settings, styles and sounds and in general what can be done to show the buyer just a taste of what can be accomplished with the instrument in all venues of music ( My Kn5000 had a great Multi faceted Demo). This might sound far fetched but if I was a manufacturer I would give the buyer every opportunity to experience what I am trying to offer them. Thats why we have so many different opinions and pros and cons from people without really knowing what could be achieved with some serious tinkering. A great 2 or 3 Vol. set of "HOW TO" VIDEOS to explore all the features from basic operation to advanced editing would definitly make a difference to a buyer also and should be INCLUDED with the item. Arranger keyboards are getting more and more complex to use and I hope I didn't bore anyone with some of my thoughts on buying a musical arranger keyboard instrument you can really enjoy to the FULLEST no matter what your level of playing is!!

thanx

Donny NJ

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-20-2000).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online