SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#139299 - 10/05/02 06:36 PM Re: Today I played the Tyros!
DannyUK Offline

I have to ask something... Is this the same company who's keyboards back in the days of the PSR8000 was IMO a "same old story" type kb??? Let me explain.... Ive had been a fan of yamaha since my teen days when first owning the delightful PSS-780 (you know the one with the joystick and multi coloured fill in pads! It all started then for me, and when i was able to afford my first "real" keyboard, i stuck with Yamaha and got the PSR-500. At the time, i loved it and went on to get upgrade to the PSR510, PSR620, PSR7000 & lastly the PSR8000. So thats around approx 8 years of Yamaha experience. By the time i got to the PSR8000, it got to the point where id heard it all before, because in each of the mentioned kbs, it resembled one another. Maybe i didnt do the PSR8000 justice (like maybe someone who had used a Yamaha kb for the first time would of), but i was pretty dissapointed with not how it sounded, but how similar it all was... I guess that this is where i can relate to those who are experiencing the same thing with the mentioned Technics past and present kbs.

So after the PSR8000, i didnt bother with the 9000 series and jumped from the PSR8000 to the Korg i30 to the GEM WK series to finally the X1 (not counting the recent purchase of my 2nd board which is the PA-60) i am just talking about my main kb. The way the Tryos has been described here WAS the same feeling i got when trying the X1, simply because it was something very new and totally different from the Yamahas.. Never looked back really..

Now, when i hear of something like the Tryos coming onto the scene with many glowing opinions, i am thinking "can this possibly be this good from the same people that made the PSR8000 which i was dissapointed with?" Granted, that the PSR8000 is an old board, but it wasnt that long ago since it was Yamaha's best board. And i am sure that people still use it to this day...

So what i am saying really is can Yamaha really produce a kb thats drastically different from previous past models OR can people see any resemblence of the PSR8000/9000 in the Tryos? Because if your saying its completely different, i may have to take this seriously and perhaps "dare i say" return back to my first love one day!!!!

Obviously, the best thing to do is to hear it for myself, but i dont have dealers near me locally so it would mean travelling around to find somewhere... so thats why i trust this message board 100%

Nice comments anyway about the Tryos, definately a kb i will need to look at.. if it can convert an old Yamaha veteran like me, then i think it will definately be something special!!!

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 10-05-2002).]

#139300 - 10/05/02 09:56 PM Re: Today I played the Tyros!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
TonyW: It will be interesting to find out if your patience lasts long enough for you to wait till a purchaseable Tyros arrives . Perhaps you could find some way to convince your salesman to sell you the one you auditioned.

TonyW: Very Interesting to hear that on the Tyros that when you lift your LH (auto accomp portion) off the keyboard, all auto accomp style parts cut out, and a drum solo comes in instead. Is this actually a Drum 'SOLO', or just the drums continueing as before, but without the OTHER accomp parts? On the PSR2000, when you press the ACMP button while playing, it stops all auto accomp parts except for the drums, which continue playing the drum pattern of the selected style variation.

Jupiter: So do I hear a hint that the Tyros may be in your future too?

Danny: I think you're right about Yamaha styles having a similar sound. The Tyros styles are actually not really revolutionary. In fact many of them are the same ones already included in the PSR2000, PSR9000/9000pro, but re-worked with the Tyros' new improved mega voices. What I like about the Yamaha styles are that they are usable for a WIDE variety of songs and that they don't get in the way of my own playing. Styles should maintain a supportive backup role and NOT dominate the mix. Some other brand arranger styles (imho) tend to be over produced, busy and distract from the LIVE playing. I expect that the audience comes to hear US play, not to hear the auto accompaniment styles.

Scott

#139301 - 10/05/02 10:38 PM Re: Today I played the Tyros!
JNic Offline

Loc: Everett, MA USA
Hey DannyUK

I think we share a brain, as both you and I went through the same keyboard path, although I started a lot earlier in 1988 with the DSR-2000. That was one of the first "FM Synthesis" (ooooh) stereo arrangers out there, and one of the first in which you could create your own styles, a whopping 16 of them to complement the 32 built in. I still have it, and laugh when I play with it, it sounds like a toy. Although my parents would scoff at that, in 1988 they paid 1850 for it!

#139302 - 10/06/02 03:25 AM Re: Today I played the Tyros!
Vaschenbru Offline

Loc: Germany
Hello Tony

wait, wait, wait

I for myself have bought a PSR 290 and play this one for this weeks , until the Tyros will arrive.

And later may be i will sell it or not

Greatings Volker

------------------

#139303 - 10/06/02 04:21 AM Re: Today I played the Tyros!
DannyUK Offline

Scott, absoultely agree with ya about Yamaha styles being very usable. When i had the PSR8000, i still kept it for over a year and gave it a good running over, so even though it felt like i was using the same styles all over again, i still liked the idea to some degree because you can comfortably replace your keyboard without too much distraction. This is fine, but when a new kb has about 70% of old styles, then it can get annoying. Even with the recent purchase of my PA-60, i would think about 40 to 50% of styles are from the i30, which again isnt too bad AS long as there are some nice new styles you can alternate too. I found that with Yamaha they didnt in the past include too many new styles, but rather just upgraded existing styles using the new technology in the new kb. For me at least, possibly the worst jump (in terms of styles) was from the PSR620 to the PSR7000, even though the sounds were much better on the 7000, the styles were 90% the same bar a couple here and there. However in terms of playing along with a Yamaha keyboard, theres no doubt that they do the job very well. And i know what you mean about busy styles, as both my X1 and PA-60 are guilty of that, more so the X1 actually, theres a few styles that sound like a fairground UNTIL i start to turn off certain instruments in the tracks so i can hear whats going on!

Jnic, i still have the PSR500 though i regretted selling the PSS-780 because that was my first kb, but because it had small keys, i wouldnt be able to use it today as my hands have grown bigger since!! lol..

#139304 - 10/06/02 09:29 AM Re: Today I played the Tyros!
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony W:

I have a question for you (as a former Pro owner).... I mentioned the feature on the Tyos where whilst playing a style you could remove your left hand from the keyboard and the style would stop playing on the appropriate beat and a drum solo would begin. (this was not just the drum track playing on without the instruments playing it was an actual sequenced drum solo!) Put your hand back on and the style kicks in again. Does the Pro have this feature?

Nope, can't remember seeing that feature Tony, maybe a new mark in the tyros? . Anyway Tony W, got your "PSR 290" yet to practice on, before you get the tyros in a few weeks

Tony

#139305 - 10/08/02 07:41 AM Re: Today I played the Tyros!
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Wow seems we are all on the same wavelength here!

I joined yamaha as far back as the cream coloured 49 note PS30, mono grill speaker, colour fluted rocker switches, sliders and a chiff chiff thump drum section! Oh and musn't forget those arpeggios! After then moving up to an Electone B405 double manual, I ventured to the Casio VL1 when it came out, a couple of stylophones and soon the charming PSS680, what was the start I reckon of arrangers from the yammy stable! I had a Kawai K1 for a little while (because I liked the string piano voice!), then the 680 became a 780, a Roland soundcanvas joined the scene and a yamaha vss100 sampler! Soon the K1 went out and a psr520 came in, a great machine and for the first time a nice piano sound! I added a Yamaha TG500 for more lush pads, then soon the psr520 was replaced for a PSR730... which then became a PSR740, and then a PSR9000.... and next..? Need I say!

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online