SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139058 - 09/12/05 12:49 PM re-recording style from specific measure(s)
soundworld7 Offline

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and a new PA50 owner. This is a brilliant site so I'm hoping someone can help. OK... I record a song backing with one of the styles, using 3 finger chords at the bottom of the kb. I save it to floppy.... so far so good. However I make a few mistakes between measures (say) 25 to 32 and want to re-record the backing (style) again, without having to record the whole song from scratch. Do you think I can do it? I have tried every editing feature, and page I know of, but I can't re-record it without either recording over the beginning of the song. In another mode, I can't get the 'measure' start point to come up on the screen? Can anyone help with clear instructions?Thanks.... Stu Johnson.

#139059 - 09/12/05 06:12 PM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Stu, that is called punch in recording..I don't think your Korg supports this feature..Check your manual in the sequencer section, and see if punch in is listed..

You can use software sequencer and fix/ overdub the track..You may have to save the backing sequence as a SMF first, before editing on your computer..

#139060 - 09/13/05 01:12 AM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
pa50 supports punch in record. you just study your owner manual carefully and there you go!

#139061 - 09/13/05 07:52 AM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
soundworld7 Offline

Thanks for your help Fran and adimatis. I'm sifting through the manual for about the ninth (or nineteenth!)time now, so hopefully I'll find it somewhere. In the meanwhile, if anybody knows what the procedure is let me know, I'm sure there are a few others out there that could have the same problem? The manual is ok, but just as it is getting to the crux, it refers you to another section to do something else! don't know why it just can't explain a procedure from start to finish. Anyway, will post again soon, thanks again. Stu Johnson

#139062 - 09/13/05 02:44 PM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
adimatis Offline

i am not sure, since i don t have neither the keyboard or the manual with me right now, but i think you might need to edit (re-record) the measures you want only by entering song mode, not back seq. mode.
that means you need to redo every anoying track by yourself, not by the arranger. i think punch in rec is available only this way.
but like fran says, is much more easier to correct everything that's wrong using a computer software.
good luck!

#139063 - 09/13/05 03:42 PM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
soundworld7 Offline

I think you are right, I've been over the manual again (and again) tried it all again, and it still won't go. The nearest I can get is, when in 'punch-in' mode, it will only record track 1....? Thanks again adimatis, and I really thought this was a great kb, I'm having second thoughts now, because I do a lot of song writing, I'm not a great kb player (I'm a guitarist) and the main reason for buying this was for ease of recording stuff quickly! so all this messing about is taking the edge off things. I suppose I'll just have to get better at kb playing! Stu Johnson.

#139064 - 09/13/05 04:01 PM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
zuki Offline

Stu,
I'm possibly interested in the PA50 if you decide to unload.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#139065 - 09/13/05 05:47 PM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
soundworld7 Offline

Thanks for the offer Zuki, but I'll have to give it a little longer, I only bought it last week! It was a choice between this or a Fantom XA, but my missus would have hit the roof! I've emailed Korg, so we'll see what that brings up. By the way, in case anybody is interested, previous to buying this Pa50, I had a roland exr5s.... for 2 days... I just didn't like it... a few of the sounds were ok, but it wasn't very versatile in the sound editing dept. I'm used to an old Yamaha W7, I mean, the sounds on that are awesome. What I can't understand is, I bought that about 7 years ago? the technology (sampling) must have improved since then, and yet the roland (this is only my view) was nowhere near the Yam...Mind you, I love all the swirling, spacy sounds, BUT I also compose semi-classical stuff, and the oboe sound on the roland was terrible in comparison... really 'organny' sounding, the Yam's oboe is absolutely immaculate. Anyway, like I say only my view. Will post again if I get any more info on the Korg, which by the way has some really fantastic sounds, and styles on it. When I get some time I'll post a couple of sample songs/sounds for anyone who's interested. Bye for now..... Stu Johnson.

#139066 - 09/14/05 03:54 AM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
adimatis Offline

you really should consider working with a soft sequencer. even the cheapest ones are more intuitive and flexible than an onboard seq. the pa50's seq. is ok, but is not an easy trip working with it.
why not try some free midi editors you can download from the internet. or go with cubase se (i think 99 usd) and that's already more than basic.
i use pa50 togheter with cubase sx2. you can do ALOT of editing.

#139067 - 09/14/05 09:53 AM Re: re-recording style from specific measure(s)
soundworld7 Offline

Thanks again adimatis and everyone, yeh, the reason I wanted an arranger was so I could get away from the comp! BUT... I know how to punch-in on any track now, so I'm quite happy to do that. Another reason is, I wanted to record songs 'live', I reckon it gives them a better 'feel'. Mind you, if you want a backing track to simply play along with, the Korgs' backings are excellent and certainly 'alive'. (Better than rolands exr5s, I think. Like I said most of my work is recording actual songs, so every note is noticed when listening to them on CD. I didn't realise until I started writing and recording seriously (about 5 years ago)how much you can get away with when gigging! Hit a 'bummer' or 2 (or 3) on a recording, and people tend to notice it much more! Cheers guys, I expect I'll be back with something else sometime or other. Stu Johnson.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online