SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#138839 - 08/22/02 07:56 AM Re: Fake Book Info
rgtaa Offline

i guess we are too old to be HAND fed!

Thanks for the info... I had tryed the Newsgroups last night even before you suggested it and only 4 messages on band in a box... advertizing...

I checked with my usually sources and no luck either... I haven't checked mirc yet...

#138840 - 08/22/02 08:41 AM Re: Fake Book Info
rgtaa Offline

if not Band in a Box format ...i figured there must be a a pdf.format FakeBook somewhere?
That's just Crying to be Downloaded!
Come to me, Baby!

#138841 - 08/22/02 09:32 AM Re: Fake Book Info
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The BIAB type fakebooks only include the chords, 'no' melody line. The reason PG Music and other 3rd party BIAB type fakebook distsributors (Norton Music, etc) are able to offer their fakebooks so cheap is because they don't have to pay any song royalties, as the chord changes (without melody) does not infringe on any copyright retrictions.

#138842 - 08/22/02 10:37 AM Re: Fake Book Info
rgtaa Offline

Scottylee
Look at ThePRO's links ...it seems there is computer program that is able to make LEAD sheet music from midi songs ... ThePRO can correct me if I'm misunderstanding him.
rgtaa

#138843 - 08/22/02 12:07 PM Re: Fake Book Info
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I often use Lime to make lead sheets from midi files. But in most cases, midi files are not precisely correct with timing and the results are much less than perfect, even after the file is quantized. We wouldn't want our music to sound mechanical anyway would we? So, much work is needed to get satisfactory results this way.

#138844 - 08/22/02 12:53 PM Re: Fake Book Info
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
With Band in the Box: http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm

or MidiNotate: http://www.notation.com/

I've been able to create lead sheet type charts (single treble clef melody lead & chords/lyrics only) from imported midi files. Unfortunately though, I'm rarely able to get the entire song to fit on a single printed 8-1/2 x 11 page, because BIAB doesn't support printing: repeat symbols, 1st & 2nd ,or tag endings, which would greatly condense the 'print out'. BIAB & Midi Notate are tremondously helpful though because they can automatically figure out the chord progression of any imported midi file. For a more professional looking (condensed on 1 page) lead sheet, it's fairly easy to transfer the chord info to a dedicated music notation program like Encore, Overture, Sibelius, or Finale.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#138845 - 08/22/02 01:46 PM Re: Fake Book Info
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, to reiterate; you can make leadsheets from MIDI files using Band In A Box, and they can be single or double-staffed w/chords and lyrics. I generally make one or two-paged single-staff melody/chord sheets similar to fakebooks for myself. You can define the number of measures and lines of staff that will be printed on each page. You can define which MIDI channels are used to determine the chord structure. With a little effort, many songs can be printed on one page.

I should mention that one huge advantage this gives you over Hal Leonard fakebooks is that you can transpose the song.

The BIAB fakebooks (BIAB files in large collections) I have found on the web also can be used to create lead sheets just as you can with midi files, and I have found them to be complete with melody many times. I have a lot of songs that were distributed without the melody those probably did come from PG Music, but I have a bunch that are complete that didn't. I've collected them too long to know who or where they all came from but I assume that people add the melody and stick them on their sites without regard to copyrights.

At any rate, between my thousands of midis and BIAB files I have an immense collection of printable sheet music at hand at no cost, save what BIAB costs.

#138846 - 08/22/02 04:38 PM Re: Fake Book Info
rgtaa Offline

great stuff guys!
Thanks!

If only xmas came early this year ... and a magical link appeared here ... with fakebook zip file!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online