SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#138703 - 09/19/07 03:27 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
iMac 20 "
iMac

Just bought an iMac 20 inch. My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner. And as Diki mentioned with the Intel processor you can run Windows ( if you really want to ) you can use "Boot Camp" or "Parallels" to run both OS.

Meanwhile, I did upgrade my Dell laptop to Vista since I really need to get familiar with that OS. Short story is after compatibility problems I purchased another hard drive installed that in the laptop then reloaded the original system disks. If I need to run Vista for any reason I just remove the XP drive and pop in the drive with Vista. This can all be done in under a minute. I would seriously consider an iMac they are incredible machines.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 09-19-2007).]

#138704 - 09/19/07 05:09 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Dnj Offline

#138705 - 09/19/07 05:31 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
just keep in mind that one of the reasons why macs have been so virus free is becuase of the lack of them.

As macs are becoming more popular so will the virus outbreaks be just as common...

alot of antivirus security vendors are now releasing AV anti spyware suites for Mac due to high demand...

#138706 - 09/19/07 06:38 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Great post, Scott AND thanks to all of you who have added to this thread. This is fantastic information. Very helpful.

AAA+++

#138707 - 09/19/07 06:49 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi Scott:

Just before I left the music store, lots of customers with problems with Midi, USB as devise (T2 and PC), etc...issues that I thinkg they got to far with the "built in Obsolecense"....to pressure users to buy EVERYTHING new.....
I did purchased a Laptop (the first one) with Vistas, NOTHING of my hardware periferals was compatible nor the manufactures of those periferals made drivers for Vista (at least at the time).....so, I returned, and I was lucky in off, that in the Sam's Club near me, at the time still have 2 Un-open Laptops with XP....so, I got one, NO problems at all, go for the XP.
Also, a few months before that, I got also an Imac, the BEST move I ever made....I wish I would have done it before. I got the 20 Inch with 2.4 Ghz just Beautiful, I also purchased the Office for Mac, it was in sale at the time.
But to keep myself in Both plataforms, that is why I got the Laptop.

#138708 - 09/19/07 07:42 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I'm planning to purchase a new desktop PC again now.....

Hi.

If buy a new PC without Vista, it's a kind of like buy a Tyros1 instead og Tyros2
if you're buying a new keyboard.

The problems people have with Vista, is mainly when they update from XP on a old PC,
using older uncompatible hardware who i.e. miss the right drivers etc.
Also you can get problems if run 16/32 bit software if the rest are 64bit.
A new PC are configured with hardware who won't be any problem in Vista, besides of
that, updates comes regulary from the soft and hardwaremakers.

Myself I run Vista Business 32bit version on one PC, and I'm running old software like
Master Tracks Pro 6, old EMC used in Win98 and EMC2000 without any problems at all.
Installed it just to see if it works, and it does.
Btw, in Vista you can also choose to run software in "XP-mode".

When buy a new PC, you most often keep the one(s) you already have anyway, so if it's
nessesary to wait a bit for a update for any software you have, it would not be any
big issue anyway?

When you're getting used to work in Vista, you'll probably never going back to XP,
just as XP users sheldom reverse to Win98.

Happy Playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#138709 - 09/19/07 08:50 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
GJ, I think you are on the money..

#138710 - 09/19/07 11:36 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
just keep in mind that one of the reasons why macs have been so virus free is becuase of the lack of them.

As macs are becoming more popular so will the virus outbreaks be just as common...

alot of antivirus security vendors are now releasing AV anti spyware suites for Mac due to high demand...

The high demand is mostly coming from PC migrators, who just can't believe that a computer actually CAN run without them. The only thing you need to do is update the OS as exploits are detected (that can be done automatically), but the bottom line is that a Unix-based OS is intrinsically less prone to these hacks than a Windows one, that seems to go deliberately out of it's way to make background processes out of the user's control.

Like I said, I am no IT geek. I just make music, surf the web, do email, and come to the forums to post. All without anti-virus and spyware blocker software. Even if Apple hold only ten percent of the market, you would have thought the challenge to hack it would have attracted at least a FEW bad guys (if not ALL of them - nothing whets their appetite like an uncrackable OS!). So far, they have had no luck, and it isn't for lack of trying!

What's peace of mind like that worth to you?

#138711 - 09/19/07 12:30 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Scott.....The last 2 desk-tops I have, I built with what I wanted in a PC, not what the manufacture's wanted me to have....I tried Vista and don't like it, it does have many unresolved problems.....yes, some o the problems are with old hardware and software.....this issues can be corrected if you check the compatibility with the manufacturer's website. If you build your own, you only get what YOU want in a pc....I
buy many components from www.tigerdirect.com
and they will help you with information from their computer geeks....I happen to be a member of a few geek forums and the info is invaluable....much like the Zone is with
music and musicians....the last one I just finished building is just for music and I also installed Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI complete at $560....check out tigerdirect and if you need any help, call or skype me.....
TR

#138712 - 09/19/07 04:13 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Scott,

Thanks for the topic. I am exploring myselve to verify the compatibilty to go Vista as well and built a new PC based on 64bits only, particularly since Sonar 7 is out now and seems to be 64 bit vista ready.

As I will also go complete the software route I will have to built a fast machine.
But with the possibilites of 64bit vista I can run way more plugins.
Since it will be DAW only and I will use a fresh installation I don't expect much problems though.

Now where do I find a professional sound card with 64bits vista ready drivers?
Apparantly only creative is ready for that but that is not what I am looking for...

I did built a fast PC for my sun this year who is a fanatic gamer based on the latest AMD. Apparantly AMD solved the heat problem as the temperature stays the same even after hours of very heavy gaming.
The AMD are faster as the Intel so I will probably go AMD as well.

As soon as I have found a pro-card vista ready I'll order all components..

Fred

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online