SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#138678 - 10/23/07 12:36 PM Alternative (comic) lyrics
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Looking for two different sets of "alternative" lyrics for the old standard, Pennys from Heaven. The best known is the very funny "Benny's from heaven", done by everybody from James Moody to King Pleasure, and the other version grew out of the weed culture of the 60's and starts out --"I grow pot in my backyard, sweet marijuana; sell my clothes to feed my nose, sweet marijuana". But that's all I can remember (I wonder why?). If anyone (Mo, Capt. Russ) can remember them or know where I can find them, please let me know. I want to pass them on to our (youngish) some-time vocalist to incorporate into our 'playlist'. It always works well with a jazz crowd. Thanks.

chas

#138679 - 10/23/07 02:08 PM Re: Alternative (comic) lyrics
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas...played the alternative version at the Lexington Federal Narcotics Hospital years ago (about 1962), but was too "freaked out" at the time to recall the lyrics (pretty heady stuff for an impressionable 15 year old aspiring upright player) . I was never a resident, but a "who's who" of the jazz world passed through the place annually. We had Sunday jam sessions there. I wish I could tell you who I played with, but wouldn't want to embarrass anyone still living or their families. Literally every famous player with a drug problem (sadly, a large percentage of the great ones) from the 50's-60's came through the place to "dry out" on a regular basis.

Here's a thought: Call James Moody up. His home phone is on his web-site, and, believe it or not, he often answers the phone himself! At least he did several years ago. He appreciates contact from the public. When he was living, Ray Brown encouraged me to call him. I am a MAJOR fan of his work, both on stage and in the academic world.

Don't know that he would remember me by name, but I ran into him several times over the years (last time at the WNOP jass fest-about 1989-near Cincinnati. he was playing with Jimmy Smith and just got off the road from a tour of Japan), and called him once about 5 years ago. Had an enjoyable visit!

"There I go, there I go, there I go..."

Great novelty song for a jazz group. We did another one called "Botulism Blues" about the nasty stuff in a poor jazz players fridge, but can't remember much of that one, either
(really stomach turning...green meat and everything)! a real croud pleaser!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-23-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online