SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#138518 - 07/02/07 09:16 AM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Ric4001:
Thanks for the reply. I don't understand why Roland sticks 190MB of samples in this machine, but provides no way to access them. That means that, unless a ROM program uses the multisample, we can't get to them (without Richard's Session Manager). There aren't many electric guitar ROM programs, but there are a lot of electric guitar multisamples (more, I'm guessing, than are used by the ROM programs). I would really like to be able to get to those unused multisamples to expand the number of electric guitar tones available. I guess I'll have to try Session Manager.

Have you found the 'Extended' sound selection button? RT*M... (p. 31)

There isn't a single multisample setup that the ROM patches don't use. I have no idea where you are getting your information from, Roland don't publish anything that details the actual multi-samples, just a list of the ROM Tones in the Parameter Reference pamphlet..

And, as anyone that has worked with a Roland arranger for the last, well, at least 15 years knows, you have NEVER had detailed access to the voice editing down to the sample level. Unfortunately (at least for us tweakheadz), probably never will. Roland seem to think that the majority of their users would prefer to just call up a well-tweaked sound and PLAY. From the deafening silence about the lack of detailed editing, they may very well be right...!

However, despite the lack of fine detail editing (and you CAN do quite a lot with the Attack, Decay, Release, LFO and filter controls they do provide), that still doesn't prevent it from being one of the best 'live' sounding arrangers out there. One can always find SOMETHING 'missing' off of just about ANY arranger, but the bottom line is, does it REALLY need it? So far, IMO, I've managed very well with what they provide...

If I want to stare for days at a display tweaking my brains out, I've always got my K2500!

#138519 - 07/02/07 09:26 AM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
It was packed very well inside a Gator case then packed up at the UPS depot by UPS. UPS must have really tossed it around. I read another post at the Roland Arranger forum where the touch screen on someone's G70 would not respond at all. Turns out there was a loose wire attached to the LCD.

Might be worth a shot to open it up and check the display wiring?

#138520 - 07/02/07 09:28 AM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

Probably wouldn't have ordered it if the fact that it had a touch screen had sunk in!
Went to Louisville and saw one yesterday...wasn't all that impressed, initially. I only spent 1/2 hour with it.

Russ what didnt you like about the G70....?

#138521 - 07/02/07 09:35 AM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I shipped a perfect X5D thru FedEx and had to have it returned to me for repair. Before i called FedEx, I checked the inside of the board. It was an unseated sisterboard. 12 screws and 15 minutes later it was fixed. I sent it back to the buyer the same day it arrived.

The morale of the story... FedEx screws up too
AND
...a little inspection can sometimes find an easy-to-fix problem. I say - GO FOR IT!

#138522 - 07/02/07 12:04 PM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki , I have found the "limited" edits on Roland arrangers more than enough..What else[worthwhile ] do you need to edit?

I have literally never been disappointed , finding a sound I need on any arranger from Roland, at least going back to the G800, that would include my RA800, E-600, VA7,EXR5[briefly], G600, G1000, and G70..heck even my E66, RA95 and RA90 had enough edits for sounds..

I didn't find any additional, real edit value[for me] on my Fantom, XP80, or JV1000 either..and my Triton Studio 76, was a joke..[I know why they call them workstations ]

I will stay with the limited edits capable Roland arrangers..

BTW:, I am enjoying the new sequencer design of the G70...and I really liked the G1000 sequencer (used it over the PC]..but the G70 sequencer will make me forget about the G1000 sequencer.. ..Except for the dang "Chord sequencer"..

#138523 - 07/02/07 12:16 PM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, my frame of reference is Ketron. In the limited time I had, I thought that the G-70 sounded better than a Tyros II but was a close second even to my old MS-60. It may grow on me, but right now, my brand of preference is Ketron.

New owners of the distributorship, an SD-1 design that is years old, design problems with the SD-5 and concerns about repair and limited distribution made me re-think this purchase, but I'm pulling big time for the next one.

I have two new Rolands in house, waiting for my third one, and they just don't cut it, in my book.

The jury is out on whether I'll use one (or more) on jobs. We'll see.

(Picky old SOB, ain't I).

Russ

#138524 - 07/02/07 12:17 PM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
..but the G70 sequencer will make me forget about the G1000 sequencer.. ..Except for the dang "Chord sequencer"..

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/WNAMM96/Roland/PMA-5.html

#138525 - 07/02/07 12:36 PM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
Diki Offline

I'm afraid, as good as the G70 sequencer is, it's no CubaseVST. I still do all my initial sequencing in that, then I'll Makeup Tool for fine touches (drumkit edits, EQ's etc.).

It's a FAR easier workflow. And anyone that thinks that Cakewalk, Sonor, Logic, etc. are equivalents to CubaseVST has never worked with it, much. CubaseVST (even more than the current SX) was the ne plus ultra of MIDI programs (IMO, YMMV, yad yada yada...).

Just the piano roll editor alone makes the G70's look like a toy...

#138526 - 07/02/07 04:56 PM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
Ric4001 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by o3bor:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ric4001:
[b] There aren't many electric guitar ROM programs.

Ric, did you already set the Sound Set Mode in "Extended" into Menu->Utility window?[/B]

I totally missed that in the manual! There are a TON of electric guitar sounds now. Thanks for the tip!!

#138527 - 07/02/07 07:25 PM Re: New G70 Owners How You Doing so far?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Diki , I have found the "limited" edits on Roland arrangers more than enough..What else[worthwhile ] do you need to edit?

I'll tell you something I miss a LOT from the G1000's edit system... There is no way to control the destination depth (amount) of aftertouch, and you have FAR fewer destinations that you used to have. One of my all time favorite things to do with aftertouch is to use it to subtly control the SPEED (rate) of the LFO as well as depth. So, just like a real player, the vibrato gradually gets a little faster as you get more of it. The trick was to slow the vibrato down a little from factory standard, and then use aftertouch to increase it back to just a little faster than factory.

But there is no way to do that any more. Aftertouch has only a few destinations (LFO speed is NOT one of them), and there is NO amount control AT ALL...

Little things like this vastly improved the realism of sax sounds, guitars, woods, almost anything you wanted to add vibrato to...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online