SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#138477 - 11/09/01 10:21 AM switch from grooveboxes to the arranger world (PSR 2000) for composing?
Heinrich Offline

First of all: This is the most advanced music forum if we are talking competence and respect. Thank you all!

Can you help me to decide?
I am looking for a all-in-one-box composing tool. At present I am using a groovebox mc-307 (very good drum sounds and usable acoustic voices like upright bass, piano, some brass, grid recording)and a korg es-1 sampler (grid recording like with the old roland drum machines). I am into hiphop, jazz, acid jazz, r&b, latin - oh yes, this can fit nicely together... I am a guitarist, I do not much editing sounds like some synthie freaks. Though I often tweak the effects to get some interesting results. Apart from that I build my songs the old fashioned way: Not so much muting parts, rather recording songs with fills and variations, bridges and so on. In other words: Working like a rock/pop musician but using hiphop sounds and material.

Lately I stepped through the styles of the PSR 2000 at my dealer. I liked the drums a lot: Not so much the sound, but the way, variations, fill ins and breaks fitted nicely together.
Now, could this arranger keyboard be used as a composing tool? (I was considering the ensoniq mr/zr-series but those keyboards are a bit dated now and hardware seems to be not very reliable.)
Can you tweak the drumsounds/pitch etc. to edit a new drumkit, because the psr 2000 seems to have only 16 kits or so?
Can you edit the voices to make them a bit more "agressive" sounding? The presets seem to sound a little to "ballroomish" to me. OK, thats what its mainly menat for, I guess.
Is the sequencer capable of recording whole songs and does it have an intuitive interface? A bit like a "workstation"?

I was considering the Emu commandstation mp-7 or the Yamaha rs7000. Now I am really thinking about switching to the arranger world - mainly for the aese of use...

What do you think?

Best regards

Heinrich

#138478 - 11/09/01 10:37 AM Re: switch from grooveboxes to the arranger world (PSR 2000) for composing?
Beakybird Offline

If you hook up the PSR 2000 to your computer and have enough power to run a sequencer such as Cakewalk and a soft synth like Gigastudio, you can set the input on your sequencer to the PSR 2000 and the output to your live sampled drums if you purchase a drum sample set to standard midi. Or you can use another soft synth or a synth module with better drum sounds.

Larry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online