SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#138242 - 08/24/01 12:12 AM Re: At What Temperature Does a Keyboard Melt?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
New Country song:
"You melted my heart, but my keyboard's o.k."

#138243 - 08/24/01 05:57 AM Re: At What Temperature Does a Keyboard Melt?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
How about; "I melted my Korg in the Ford" & "Keep your Yammie out of Miami" & "The Spirit is Strong, but The Gem Melted".

Tom

#138244 - 08/24/01 06:04 AM Re: At What Temperature Does a Keyboard Melt?
Beakybird Offline

"The Ballad of the Molten Solton"
"The Yammy from Alabamy"
"My VA7 in Keyboard Heaven"
"The Girly Who Made My Werli Swirly"

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 08-24-2001).]

#138245 - 08/24/01 08:01 AM Re: At What Temperature Does a Keyboard Melt?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Hey guys,

I just got back from the Monerey area. My buddy Sonny G has been there for ten years playing keyboard and singing full time. He and a couple others swear that for the most part other than a couple of days a year the temperature hardly ever goes over 75 degrees and hardly ever goes below 62 degrees.

Don't look for Scott Yee to confirm this: (he doesn't want the competition). Just kidding Scott!!! Scott doesn't have to worry about me moving there because in the area I was in Pebble Beach, Pacific Grove, Salinas, Carmel, Monterey the cheapest thing I found was $1250 for a studio apartment.

Uncle Dave, Donny, Fran is the climate on the East Coast even close to the West Coast as I described. If so, I'll come look it over. But how's the rent or cost of a 1000 sq. ft home? HA! HA!

I liked my area in Western Colorado until I made the trip last week. We have a three month summer here and it cools down some in September. But can you even imagine 62 low and 75 high maybe 350 or more days a year.
Sounds like paradise to me.

Anyone have some Prozac to share? I never tried Marijuna. (is this spelled right?)Maybe that would help this depression also that I'm going through. ha.

Sulking,
Boo
PS No smoking in the whole state of California in any public place. All they need to learn to do is boil Crawfish and it would really be a literal paradise.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 08-24-2001).]

#138246 - 08/24/01 09:35 AM Re: At What Temperature Does a Keyboard Melt?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hi Boo: Sorry I missed you on your recent trip to the beautiful scenic Monterey Peninsula (my hometown, PROUDLY so). What day did you actually arrive? Did you get a chance to checkout the Monterey Aquarium? I was down there (Sat/Sun) to attend my 'annual' family shin-dig but had to return back to the Bay area early Sunday evening cause I had to work that evening. I drove past the Los Laureles Lodge located on Carmel Valley Road near the Carmel Valley Village and noticed the large banner annoucing that Sonny G plays there now. WHERE did you play with Sonny? At the Los Laureles Lodge, Mission Ranch, or at Highlands Inn? Did you get a chance to play some rounds of golf? We got the most beautiful and challenging courses in the world, but the membership/green fees can be MUCH MORE expensive than the $1250 rental for sure. BTW, I was amazed you could find any apartment THAT cheap in Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove. I'll probably be moving back to the Monterey (Pacific Grove) in a few years so I guess I'm gonna have to 'duke it out' (musically) with Sonny then . Please fill us in on your music (jam session?) gig experiences with Sonny & company. I enjoyed performing with him a couple of months back (at Mission Ranch) and remembered him as very congenial and laid back. BTW, it's spelled "M-O-N-T-E-R-E-Y".

- Scott http://scottyee.com

PS: We may not have crawfish but did you try our Monterey Bay Salmon?

#138247 - 08/24/01 02:56 PM Re: At What Temperature Does a Keyboard Melt?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Scott,

Many in the Jazz Field intimidate me. But out of the many that I've actually jammed with only two, Jack and Sonny intimidate me. These guy's could walk in and play with anyone and they wouldn't have to sing a note. Just play their instrument.

You'd be hard pressed to play something that they couldn't play. And more than likely they would embellish the chords and use many substitutions that you'd really like. Of course they started at an early age and this is all they do.

It's like listening to Coltrane, Rollins and company and then wanting to throw your horn away.

Well I can lay brick as good as anyone. That's when there are brick to lay. Our town is turning into California. Stucco every where. And I can eat as much as the best of them.
Boo

#138248 - 08/24/01 05:35 PM Re: At What Temperature Does a Keyboard Melt?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Intimating? Boo, I didn't find Sonny intimidating at all. On the contrary. Although Sonny is certainly an accomplished pro pianist, he seems easy going, friendly, and a 'lot of fun' to play with. I enjoyed watching/hearing the chord voicings and substitutions (including many rootless) he played. It's great to admire accomplished musicians like Sonny, but it's also important not to become intimidated by them either. I always look forward to the opportunity to performing with good pro musicians as a way to learn and grow by sharing musical ideas and bouncing off each other. What a HIGH !

Frankly, I'd rather hear a guy improvise playing a few notes 'played well' (saying something) rather than a guy playing 'lots of frivilous notes' just to show off his chops. One of my wise teachers once told me that: "it's the space 'between the notes' which count just as much as the notes themselves". I've noticed that younger musicians tend to play 'lots of notes' to impress, but that as we mature, we realize that it's not the 'quantity', but the 'quality' of the notes played. Maybe there's a similarity (to sex) here. OK, enough philosophy for today.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online