SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1380 - 11/22/05 12:14 AM How to use expression pedal together with sustain pedal?
RolandLover Offline

Dear All,

Sorry for this "dumb" question. I just switch to a higher end keyboard, which support expression (volume) pedal.

I just want to know, which foot usually used to operate expression pedal? If it's the right foot, then how to operate expression/volume pdal together with sustain pedal?

Thanks a lot

#1381 - 11/22/05 01:02 AM Re: How to use expression pedal together with sustain pedal?
abacus Online   content

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The right foot, also get yourself a book on how best to use an expression pedal, as used incorrectly it will make the music sound worse. (General rule of thumb, a nice gentle smooth flowing movement, Do not pump it)
You can also purchase Expression pedals with kick switches on each side, and use these switches for sustain, rather then having a separate Sustain pedal.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#1382 - 11/22/05 06:39 AM Re: How to use expression pedal together with sustain pedal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi RolandLover,

Use whichever foot feels the most comfortable. When I am playing my B3 (and kicking bass pedals) I of course use my right foot on the volume pedal. But when I am playing my other rig, Promega 3 and Genesys Pro S, I use my left foot for the CCP's (continuous controller pedals). I use two CC pedals, one connected to each instrument. They sit side by side so I can either control each individually or place my foot across both and increase/decrease the value of whatever parameter these pedals are assigned to simultaneously.

I place the damper (sustain) pedals, one for each instrument to the right side by side so they can be used individually or simultaneously as well.

Which foot is more comfortable will depending on your background and what type of keyboard you grew up playing, organ or piano. I have played both for so long that I am equally comfortable with volume pedals and sustain pedals using either foot.

And to add to what Bill said above, don't make the mistake of tapping your foot in time with the music while your foot is on the pedal.

Dave

Pictures of my rig from this past Saturday night at the Stranahan Theater in Toledo, OH at The Ultimate Doo-Wop Show:
Pic 1
Pic 2

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 11-22-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online