SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#138089 - 01/31/06 06:59 AM Finally Performed for Family
familyguy Offline

Hi all.
As some of you may recall from my previous post, I've had a difficult time getting myself to perform even for friends and family. After all the much appreciated feedback, I wanted to follow-up and let you know that I've finally made some progress.
This past weekend, my in-laws were over. Now, you have to understand that my father-in-law tells it like it is (and I mean this in a positive way). Well, he absolutely loved my playing. I played some At The Hop, Runaway, Kansas City and others and he had a great time. He has a musical background having played guitar professionally in the 60's, so his opinion meant that much more to me.
An interesting point he made was that after seeing me play, he can now appreciate how much goes into performing these songs on an Arranger Keyboard. He and I have talked many times about a cruise he took a while ago and how there was an outstanding One-Man-Band keyboard player performing. After the show the performer explained to him how he uses MIDI files and plays along. While impressed, my father-in-law was still confused as to how much the guy was actually playing and how much was automated. After seeing my performance close-up, he understands how much effort and talent goes into playing these instruments. I personally do not use MIDI files (no criticism intended for those who do), but rather I use the Accompaniment Styles. Not only was he impressed by the playing of the songs, but he was even impressed with the timing of the button presses for changing style sections and instruments.
Anyway, I just wanted to follow-up and say thanks again for all the great advice. We have some family functions on the way and I'm now looking forward to the opportunity to play some more.

-Mike

#138090 - 01/31/06 07:05 AM Re: Finally Performed for Family
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
Mike

Playing for family is harder than for complete strangers in my experience...

I also broke through that barrier in the last couple of years and I can tell you it really helps if you have someone who appreciates what you can do.

Playing for your spouse or children is a nightmare. :-)

Jerry

#138091 - 01/31/06 07:06 AM Re: Finally Performed for Family
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Mike ... you are on your way !!! good for you ...
t.
PS ... it's always great to impress the father-in-law, isn't it ...

#138092 - 01/31/06 07:11 AM Re: Finally Performed for Family
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy_norbury:
Mike
Playing for family is harder than for complete strangers in my experience...
Playing for your spouse or children is a nightmare. :-)
Jerry

Jerry ... that's too bad ... my wife is my #1 fan, and my kids (and grandkids) love it too ...
t.

#138093 - 01/31/06 09:02 AM Re: Finally Performed for Family
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by familyguy:
While impressed, my father-in-law was still confused as to how much the guy was actually playing and how much was automated.

This is the same thing I get from a lot of people (including pro musicians) in my audience who come up to the stage to ask me about after my performances. Once they realize that I'm both triggering the auto-accompaniment and registration-patch changes LIVE in real time, as well as actually playing the keyboard (with both hands & all fingers) LIVE, not simply singing along to midi backing tracks (aka: karaoke) and/or faking keyboard solos, they gain a greater respect for us as keyboard 'musicians'. I believe that, slowly but surely, we arranger keyboardists are finally beginning to earn respect among our traditional musician peers.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-31-2006).]

#138094 - 01/31/06 12:17 PM Re: Finally Performed for Family
Scottyee Offline

Donny: I NEVER said 'playing along to or singing along with backing tracks, SMF files' "is not talent, or not entertaining".

Though I realize the terminology is changing in some circles, it's still generally accepted in the music business, that a vocalist is refered to as a 'singer', while 'musician' reserved as the title for someone who is an instrumentalist.

If you re-read my reply, you'll realize I was merely sharing what people in my audience tell me when they come up to me on stage after my show: that they gained more respect and appreciation for my keyboard "musician" performance, upon realzing that I was not simply singing along to midi backing tracks (aka: karaoke) and/or faking keyboard solos. The technology has made it far too easy for performers to fool (trick) the audience into believing they're playing the kb more than they really are, and unfortunately, this has lead to a jaded audience mis-perception that arranger keyboard playing does'nt require much (if any) keyboard playing skill, as they have grown to think every thing heard on an arranger is automated. My (personal) feeling is that if you are going to perform with a keyboard on stage, you owe it to the audience to actually play it. If my act only featured my singing, then a playback unit without keys (aka: Midjay) seems a better choice, and which would not give the audience a false impression that I was showcasing my keyboard musicianship too. - Scott

#138095 - 01/31/06 02:07 PM Re: Finally Performed for Family
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
you need to take a good look at what you as a arranger KB player considers Fakin it!

Donny, here's specifically what I'm referring to in regards to 'faking' it:

Quote from Posting On SZ General Discussion Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by gibscorpion:
my names brian and i sing for a local band but i do not play the keybaord i just fire the midies or kar files and "i prtend i play" whiles i read the lyrics of the display screen on my pax1pro

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-31-2006).]

#138096 - 01/31/06 03:31 PM Re: Finally Performed for Family
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Mike,
THAT WAS FAST!!!!! Congratulations on your decision to play for your family. I wish you many happy hours entertaining those you love.
The best thing was that there was no liquor involved in your case.

Scott and Donny,
expressing my outmost respect to both of you, I believe that the above discussion has no point at all, and does not seem to lead anywhere good, at least for me.
Peace,
Theodore

#138097 - 01/31/06 03:40 PM Re: Finally Performed for Family
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
I believe that the above discussion has no point at all, and does not seem to lead anywhere good, at least for me.

Trident: I agree. I have nothing more to say. I STAND by my above statements. Peace. - Scott

#138098 - 01/31/06 03:41 PM Re: Finally Performed for Family
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-08-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online