SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#137995 - 11/16/05 04:24 AM Re: Refined Single Setup
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Some people have all the luck.

As me + my parter are a keyboards / drums / vocal duo AND we use an Alesis DM5 with the drums, then we've got 2 or 4 speakers (depending on size of gig), Mixer / FX / Headphone amp rack, optional large PA amplifier rack, full drum kit, microphones, stands, wires blah blah blah blah

It usually takes 10 to 15 minutes just to get the stuff out of our 2 cars into the gig!

And I'd prefer not to discuss venues with stairs.....

#137996 - 11/16/05 08:10 AM Re: Refined Single Setup
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I can remember well in 1982 or 83 being on the road. I had a full-size Chevy Van and after loading all my "stuff" there was barely room for a suitcase.
Huge Yamaha organ on a dollie, with leslie.
P.A. System with two big 15-inch speakers and stands
Monitor speakers and stands
Rack full of amps and mixer
Organ Bench and organ foot pedals
Lights
Mic stands, mics, cables, power strips
Box full of loose-leaf binders with songs
Cassette player/recorder
It would take a good hour to unload and set up, and I couldn't do it alone. The stuff was too heavy.
What progress we've made!
DonM

#137997 - 11/16/05 08:56 AM Re: Refined Single Setup
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Sounds like we're all in the same time frame. My set up and tear down time are both in the range of 10 minutes. I'm usually in the car and rolling 15 minutes after the job ended
Joe

Same here, only time I get delayed is not when they want autographs or throw panties. It's having to wipe off the rotten eggs they sometimes throw.

#137998 - 11/16/05 10:13 PM Re: Refined Single Setup
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Just a quick question - Do you guys wrap all your cables in one 'snake'? By that I mean are you running your power supply cords alongside the speaker cables. Surely that's not such a great idea? It must be inducing some power hum. Any problems like that, guys?

#137999 - 11/16/05 10:26 PM Re: Refined Single Setup
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
Just a quick question - Do you guys wrap all your cables in one 'snake'? By that I mean are you running your power supply cords alongside the speaker cables. Surely that's not such a great idea? It must be inducing some power hum. Any problems like that, guys?

I don't now but I have before. I've never had a problem, but I suppose it helps to use really good cables.
DonM

#138000 - 11/17/05 06:16 AM Re: Refined Single Setup
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
All of my instrument cables are heavy-duty, sheilded cables and all are contained within a single harness. All of my power cables are very short, most are wall warts and all are housed within a custom made compartment that fits in front of the keyboard. The main power cable that goes to the wall is a heavy-duty, 14-gauge, grounded cord that is connected to a heavy-duty surge protector. No noise problems whatsoever.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#138001 - 11/17/05 06:22 AM Re: Refined Single Setup
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Renig,

Running speaker cables next to power cables should be no problem. The reason for this is the signal is already amplified output being sent TO the speakers. The problem might appear if you run your input cables next to the power cables. The hum would enter your amp through the inputs, be amplified, and then sent to the speakers.

Tom

Tom

#138002 - 11/17/05 06:36 AM Re: Refined Single Setup
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

I remember those "good ole days" very well. I didn't have a van. I had a 5 by 7 trailer that I used to haul my equipment to the job. I carried either a Hammond M3 or a Gulbransen Theatrum organ. This also included a 147 Leslie. I drove the Leslie with a Fender Bassman head. (I wish I still had the Bassman head, it was built like a tank and was indestructable). I ran the bass output from the organ into an external bass amp. It was a Canadian amp called something like VT. I would have to put the organ on a dolly, wheel it in and take it off, go back out and wrestle the 147 out of the trailer onto the dolly and wheel that in. Grab the bench and carry that in, go back and get the VT amp and the Bassman head and bring them in. Then go back out and move the car and trailer. After the gig of course it was the reverse. Then when I got home it was park the trailer and disconnect it.

Now it is hard enough doing all this when it is 70 degrees out. Try doing it when it is 15 and the roads and walks are covered with snow or ice.

That's why you confederates lost the war. You're soft!

FYI it is 24 degrees out as I'm typing this and last night we got about 6 inches of snow. I'm tired of being tough.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 11-17-2005).]

Tom

#138003 - 11/17/05 07:25 AM Re: Refined Single Setup
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tom 20 years ago I had a VT 4/10 cabinet with a separate VT head...That thing kicked butt..
I believe VT was eventually owned by Traynor, which became a Yorkville company...All three divisions had a quality line..
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/vb/history.html

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 11-17-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online