SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#137980 - 02/26/03 05:18 PM rootless chords
Roddey Offline

Loc: Wagga NSW Australia
Hi I read a reference to rootless chords by Dreamer today and wondered what they are and how you would use them.Thanks Rod

#137981 - 02/26/03 06:28 PM Re: rootless chords
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Oh No, don't get Scott started,,just kidding Scott. Rod, I am sure Scott will explain the "rootless" to you..

#137982 - 02/26/03 06:59 PM Re: rootless chords
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Roddey: Rootless chord voicings result when the root of a chord is 'implied' by other notes in the chord, mainly the third and seventh. By omitting the root, it also allows your free finger to play ather chord tones such as the 9th,11th, or 13th, providing more spice & variation.

In drawing and painting, an artist may imply the outline of a figure with only the shadows, allowing the mind's eye to fill in the rest. Rootless voicings imply the harmony so the root isn't missed. Many musicians are habit-bound playing root-position chords and think it necessary to fit all the information about each chord into every voicing. To simplify, and make the art of chord melody playing more musical, the main consideration must be the melody. Then add the third and seventh of the chords, where rhythmically appropriate.

In a common ii-V-I progression, the seventh of each chord moves chromatically — and smoothly — to the third of the next chord. These guide tones communicate the progression via the voice leading of the seventh to the third. This motion is the most common sound in traditional harmony, and you only need these two notes to capture the essence of the progression. If you're really interested in exploring rootless chord voicings, check this out: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/courses/2002/fall/mus84/rootless.6.pdf

I learned about 'rootless chord voicings' when studying with legendary jazz pianist, music educator, & author Mark Levine, who has written an excellent book entitled the "Jazz Piano Book" which covers 'rootless jazz chords' in detail:
http://www.shermusic.com/jazzpno.htm

Ok, perhaps I said too much. I'll shut up now.

Scott

#137983 - 02/26/03 07:23 PM Re: rootless chords
Roddey Offline

Loc: Wagga NSW Australia
oh no Scott you have not said too much -it is all fascinating to me.I really appreciate your in depth reply and will definitely look up the site and probably buy the book.Thanks heaps!Rod

#137984 - 02/26/03 07:57 PM Re: rootless chords
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
You know I just love this forum.. Just today I'm talking to someone about learning to expand chords, and substitution, and here is this thread.....

Not to mention the great response on my other question on my mind today: Tyros speakers.

Thanks guys

This is truly my other family.

I hope to meet you cats some day.

Maybe we need to schedule an annual SynthZone reunion.

Scott Langholff

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online