Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#137423 - 06/17/03 09:46 AM Re: problems with chords
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello again

Attn: Scott Yee.

I agree with Terry. I know you have the backround on this. I would love to find the shortcut way to play piano style left hand, in conjunction with how to work with a Yamaha arranger fingering system.

I guess knowing the MOST used postions would be the biggest help.

For example: I know most good piano players play C9 as E,Bb,D. Realizing the bass player is playing the C and G. Same ought to hold true with the PSR2000, Tyros etc, but I don't really know the ins and outs of this yet.

Can you maybe enlighten us?

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#137424 - 06/17/03 09:52 AM Re: problems with chords
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Paul,
A minor chord in the roman numeral system is lower case. So in the key of C, "A minor" would be iv. I can't recall now what dominant and major 7th are. I'll take a guess:
V7 is G 7 (dominant).
IM7 is C major 7th.
ii7 is D minor 7.
iv7 is A minor 7.
Starkeeper

#137425 - 06/17/03 10:09 AM Re: problems with chords
Scott Langholff Offline

Hello

The "six minor" in Roman numerals actually would be: vi for Am (in the key of C), and vi7 for Am7

#137426 - 06/17/03 10:14 AM Re: problems with chords
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by SBPC:

I have a question relative to the Roman numeral chord sequence notation. I understand that the sequence of say I-V-II in the key of C (for example) represents chords whose roots are
C-G-D. But as far as determining whether the chord is a major, minor, 7th, etc. I don't see how that is determined by the Roman numeral sequence. What am I missing?
Paul C.

Sorry for not being for more specific. The Roman numerals signify the degrees of a scale. In a 'Major' (ionian) scale:

I : major
II: minor
III: minor
IV: major
V: dominant 7th
VI: minor
VII: 1/2 diminished

Perhaps a better way to distinguish the quality of the chords built on the scale degrees would be to notate the minor degrees in small case and the 1/2 diminished chord with a '0' with a slash going thru it. Unfortunately I don't know how to notate the slash to this posting so I'll have to just show the 0 part:

Major Scale:

I - ii - iii - IV - V7 - vi - vi0

Quote:
Originally posted by SBPC:
Scott,
I agree with Terry. It would be great if you could find the time to present a mini-course to share some of your knowledge along these lines.

Hi Paul. I'm certain most members here don't want me wasting SZ bandwidth posting on and on about basic music theory. but fortunately there's already a wealth of information on the internet covering this topic. Just go to 'Goggle' and search these words: piano, keyboard, voice leading, chord progressions, chord voicings, etc.

Here are a couple I found:
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/lesson.html
http://www.apassion4jazz.net/progressions2.html

#137427 - 06/17/03 10:44 AM Re: problems with chords
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW!!! .... I might be able to correct Scott Yee on something .... that's "google" not goggle ... ......
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-17-2003).]

#137428 - 06/17/03 11:07 AM Re: problems with chords
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
I would love to find the shortcut way to play piano style left hand, in conjunction with how to work with a Yamaha arranger fingering system. I guess knowing the MOST used postions would be the biggest help.

The weird frustrating thing is that arranger keyboard 'left hand' spit & full keyboard chord recognition differs between brands & models. They share basic type chord recognition, but unforuntatly, not for the more professinal sounding jazz (rootless) type chords.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

For example: I know most good piano players play C9 as E,Bb,D. Realizing the bass player is playing the C and G. Same ought to hold true with the PSR2000, Tyros etc, but I don't really know the ins and outs of this yet.

Scott, in addition to dominant 9th type chord voicing you mentioned, and the basic type chords (triads, and 4 note chords) which include the root, here are some other chords (without roots) I know that the Yamaha brand arrangers left hand 'fingered mode' will recognize. this also demonstrates the smooth voice leading when playing a basic II-V- I chrod progreession:

II - V - I Chord Progression:

Key of C:

Dm7(9): (F-C-E)
G13: (F-B-E)
C69: (E-A-D)

Key of C#:
Ebm7(9): (Gb-Db-F)
Ab7(13): (Gb-C- F)
Db69: (F-Bb-Eb)

The above rootless style chord voicings work (of course) in all the other 10 keys as well. This makes a total of 36 chords. Memorize these chord fingering patterns to expand your left hand arranger playing potential to sound like a real PRO piano sounding left hand arranger chord comp kb player. - Scott

#137429 - 06/17/03 11:17 AM Re: problems with chords
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
WOW!!! .... I might be able to correct Scott Yee on something .... that's "google" not goggle ... ......
t.

Tony, you mean I ain't perfect?
I appreciate your perception, you must have been wearing your goggles (glasses) . . . giggle giggle. - Scott

#137430 - 06/17/03 11:19 AM Re: problems with chords
Scott Langholff Offline

Thank you ScottY. You really make me happy today.

#137431 - 06/17/03 11:46 AM Re: problems with chords
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
thanks guys for all your help,putting up this query has made me realise things that i managed to work out for myself,but also made me aware of progressions,what scott langolff said is what i realised about playing chords without moving your hand up and down the keyboard,while i have been learning for the past year i think that i have learned alot,my teacher only teaches me little bits at a time,so i always ask loads of questions and take notes,but,if you don,t know what to ask,then you don,t get told.hopefully many others will get some help from this post,cheers mike

#137432 - 06/17/03 02:14 PM Re: problems with chords
Scott Langholff Offline

Thank you ScottY. You really make me happy today.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online