SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#137046 - 10/25/04 03:54 PM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
I have only a little suggestion: never quantize a style (or a sequence whatsoever), unless you want to sound robotic!

Amen, Brother...

That's what is happening to my stuff. I can't stand my own style creations. I'm not familiar with One Man Band software. Is it any good?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#137047 - 10/26/04 12:05 AM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
it's actually a realtime arranger software, but it has some really good stylemaking tools.
There is a demo on Jos's site but I don't think you can actually save stuff, but at least you can check it out.

It's the stylemaker section you'd want
Window
Stylemaker ( section )http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm

I originally bought it so that I could create midifiles of psr styles and then convert them into styles for my kn7.

Anyway that's how I discovered it had quite a few similar stylemaking functions to my kn7. My KN7's gone, now I'm basically using omb for style editing & creation, (plus using it as a realtime arranger midied up to my clavinova.)

If you're basically happy with your Yamaha arranger, it might be worth checking omb out.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I'm not familiar with One Man Band software. Is it any good?

Al

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#137048 - 10/26/04 05:03 AM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
kbrkr Offline

Hi Rikki,

Thanks for the Info. I checked out the website and it looks really, really, cool.

I'll download it when I get home from work tonight and give it a whirl.

I know this has probably been covered elsewhere, but If I use a laptop with OMB, what hardware do I need to use/purchase to enable MIDI on it? I have an IBM T30 ThinkPad.

Thanks so much
Al

#137049 - 10/26/04 06:16 AM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
More people make styles than I thought. I am not ready to do that - just enjoying my first arranger for a few weeks now - but I am planning to.

So here is a question: if you make styles, how many bars are you recording per variation?

The reason I ask this, is because there were remarks made about quantizing and what I hate most is, to hear a certain tempo-mistake (like a note just too soon or just too late) come back every four bars. Then I'd rather quantize.
Also, with quantize you can move notes more to the beat, without exactly ON the beat. Like 50% quantizing instead of 100% percent (100% is indeed very robotic).
I made multipads and I don't quantize either (it's not even possible on the PSR multipads). But in one case I had to shift a few notes by hand to make it better.

However, if you make patterns of 16 bars fi, there is no (or not much) repetition and you can do without quantizing altogether.

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 10-26-2004).]

#137050 - 10/26/04 07:17 AM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
to the genesys Offline

On most modern arrangers, you can set the amount of bars a variation, fill and intro/ending will be.

With respect to quantize, while over quantizing something could make a style or sequence sound robotic, you don’t want to go to the other extreme of making it sound sloppy.

I guess to each his own. You just have to use your ears and judge if the product is acceptable to play with professionally.

#137051 - 10/26/04 08:51 AM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Rikki,
You said, "I can create a style from a midifile. Where that comes in handy is, I could use one of my software sequencers ie cakewalk, power tracks pro, xgworks etc create the style in the sequencer then import the midifile into OMB and create the actual style".
Could you expand on what you mean. What would you do in the sequencer? How do you prepare a MIDI file so that it can be converted correctly by OMB?
Starkeeper

#137052 - 10/26/04 06:43 PM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
on my old win98 laptop with 9000pro , I used to use an old serial to midi cable that I had laying around( similar to this). http://www.ittymidi.com/product_a0005.asp

Since upgrading my laptop and getting a clp ( both work with usb) , I use a normal usb cable to connect the two. Works really well.

Sorry but I don't know enough about your computer / keyboard. You'd be better off asking the forum in general as to what to use. There's plenty of members who have their keyboards midied to computers.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Hi Rikki,

Thanks for the Info. I checked out the website and it looks really, really, cool.

I'll download it when I get home from work tonight and give it a whirl.

I know this has probably been covered elsewhere, but If I use a laptop with OMB, what hardware do I need to use/purchase to enable MIDI on it? I have an IBM T30 ThinkPad.

Thanks so much
Al

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#137053 - 10/26/04 07:56 PM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
you can actually create a style from a midifile ( song) by just using omb. ie you import your midifile into omb's stylemaker section, audition the parts and create the style then do any editing required.

I prefer to import the midifile into a software sequencer first, delete the melody track ( except for maybe intro & ending parts) and only keep the tracks I'm going to use for the style ie drum tracks, bass, chord, pad & phrase tracks and make a note of the bar no's as to where each of the parts start & finish do any other editing if required.
Basically not necessary , just a preference.
I do the same for styles that I've saved as midifiles from other keyboards I've owned.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#137054 - 10/27/04 04:38 AM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
kbrkr Offline

I downloaded OMB last evening and tried it with my Tyros. I must be a complete idiot, because I couldn't get the OMB arranger function to work. I was able to see the MIDI messages from the Tyros appear on the OMB screen, albeit, it was displaying a Bmin for a C chord? I was able to go into the Style maker section and get the styles playing normally.

On the whole, I don't really like the OMB interface. It's just too busy with useless information. If your playing live with this thing and you look up to your Laptop computer screen with this program displayed, how are you supposed to pick out critical information quickly?

I'll keep plugging away with it, but my first impressions are not very high.

Al

#137055 - 10/27/04 05:14 PM Re: How many people create their own Styles?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Al,
sorry, we've got our wires crossed, I wasn't try to suggest you use omb software as your arranger ( especially as you have a tyros), but it is a good style editing & creation tool.

I use it as an arranger because i didn't want to go to the expense of buying a Clavinova with arranger functions (ie I wanted the best quality piano within my budget, rather than pay for arranger functions, which I knew I could get with omb)
plus I also wanted the portability of using omb with a laptop & softsynth).

I thought that you were mainly interested in something that may help you with creating styles. Study the stylemaker section. I found it pretty enlightning as to how psr styles actually worked by studying existing styles.
ie if you double click the events colum on the stylemaker page , it shows up all the notes that make up any track.
For drum tracks that's an easy way to edit ie add/delete/replace drum notes..
You can also record style tracks in realtime.
There is a certain amount of editing available, but not as much as in a software sequencer.
And don't forget you can create a style from a midifile, either from a smf or one that you record ie record a style in a sequencer, do any editing required, save as a midifile, then use the midifile load/paste function in omb to create your style.

I was mainly suggesting that it could be a good way of giving you extra stylemaking tools in software form, if that is something that you think is lacking in your Tyros.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kbrkr:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online