SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#137011 - 05/13/06 05:31 AM Questions for G70 owners
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The questions are for G70 owners[real owners, not the 2 day owners that couldn't figure out the instrument]..
Can you G70 owners tell me what you think the strengths of the instrument are, and compare to previous keyboards[only Roland Please]..Can you list the things you do not particularly like..Ways you think it could be improved... and lastly recap what you think are the best sounds[and why]?
Also what features you like/dislike?

I would like this post to be informative and not a basher post[even if the bashing is against Yamaha].

#137012 - 05/13/06 06:40 AM Re: Questions for G70 owners
tony harbour Offline

Loc: wilts,england
Hi Fran , Have had G70 over a year now and unlike all other keyboards i've had it grows on me .(Home use only - i am "intermediate to advanced level player" - suits my playing - both piano and chord / bass line) .

Unbeatable (no one can argue this atleast) no of keys / keyaction .

Other thing much better than other keyboards i've had that i find indispensable and easy to use is Music Assistant - i build up registrations for all my music books (have a trunk full of them) and being able to go back and tweak then resave using the touch screen is absolutely superb.

The 4 1 touch setups are helpful for starting and i find getting decent professional sounding accomps can be set up fast indeed.

Setting up the mixer is a doddle too as is muting style tracks .

The speed of recall of user programs using MA is brill too .

Great sounds include - Grand piano , hammond organs (there are good drawbars too but i tend to use the presets) , strings and choir and even orchestral eg: flutes oboes and the guitars are smashing . Also like the way you have manual bass 2 lower and 3 upper sounds (so you can play like an organ - wish there were a few more pipe - church and theatre sounds but this is my only gripe and the other keyboards on the market don't have anything better) .

I have had technics Kn6000,7000 before never tried Korg or Yamaha though have had DVD demos etc. orginially opted for Roland because of spec including decent sized keyboard 61 keys does not allow you to play piano music easily .

Q : are G70 warrantied for 3 years - i believe they are but if anyone from ROland reads this it would be helpful to get a response (and could be a big selling point) .

One other thing for Roland - If you bring our a new 76 key keyboard i will be hoping it can import the registrations i have built up for the G70 (assume using the new database manager software - which is i have tried and found to be a good little tool) .

What i miss about previous Technics keyboard - only 1 thing comes to mind - the abiliaty to directly record mp3 via USB. but this comes very low down my listof desirable features. (i bought KN7000 because of the organ tabs - but sorry Technics - was not impressed - the G70 is much better but wish there were some more church/theatre pipe combinations then it would be a keyboard that does everything i could possibly want.

PS On the topic of theatre organs - has anyone tried the Miditzer - it's a software based theatre organ console ! sounds pretty realistic as it is sampled on real pipe ranks - it's Free to download - Google for Miditzer - these are the sorts of theatre sounds i would like Roland to add , and with the ability to mix 3 on top and 2 on lower plus bass it would then be possible to use the keyboard like a mighty organ .

Cheers

Tony

[This message has been edited by tony harbour (edited 05-13-2006).]

#137013 - 05/13/06 02:22 PM Re: Questions for G70 owners
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Tony
I downloaded the Miditzer organ. It is pretty amazing. I will try to load it into my Receptor. If not, I can always use a midi controller at my desktop.

Thanks
Bernie

#137014 - 05/14/06 02:13 AM Re: Questions for G70 owners
tony harbour Offline

Loc: wilts,england
Hi Bernie,
Glad you like it ! With headphones on it and if you use the reverb setting on high to simulate a hall it can sound like Blackpool Tower.

It would be great if this could be included in the next keyboard with seperate swell pedal . The mididtzer shows what's possible . (Some are midiing it up to their old theatre consoles - the G70 USBs to it fine btw) .

#137015 - 05/14/06 03:33 AM Re: Questions for G70 owners
weissefar Offline

I think you will find this thread informative http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=60&topic=750.0

Search the forum section for more information...

Maybe you can find inspiration here too?! http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=41

#137016 - 05/14/06 08:56 AM Re: Questions for G70 owners
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Thanks for the links..very interesting.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online