SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#136919 - 10/26/04 08:34 AM Re: All about the jazz!
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Hi Al,

One of my problems (perhaps not only mine) when I start learning a new subject is to be able to get to the fundamental concepts/ideas quickly enough. In most non-obvious subjects, with "normal" teachers/books that follow a tradicional approach, the deep understanding of fundamental ideas comes too late for my taste, and frequently after a considerable dose of formalism and routine work. When I approach a new subject, it's essential that I first get to the crucial ideas as fast as I can, and then go deep in what I find more interesting. I'm far from saying that the formalism is avoidable or that hard work is not needed, but I still think that there can exist (or can be created) potencially better alternative approaches, with less or a different formalism, that lead you to a better understanding of the principles. In general these alternative approaches tend to come from people with a wider knowledge background than the ones with an education strictly from the tradicional music school.
What I find interesting in Conrad Cork's book is his original view about harmony and how approachable and pleasant to read it is. If you already have a solid background in jazz it probably won't be such a revelation, but it will still be interesting for the different perspective. However if you are a beginner (like I am), it can be an excellent and extremely approachable introduction.
I agree the price burns (for an american; it's reasonable in Europe)!... But don't judge the price of a book by its presentation. If you're complaining about being a paperback, I wonder what you would say if you saw the print quality... It's mediocre, nothing to do with Levine's, but it's a 320 page juicy book. Not one single music sheet, only tables of chords. I'm keeping my copy, of course.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 10-26-2004).]

#136920 - 10/26/04 11:19 PM Re: All about the jazz!
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
I've been through the two "Joy of Improvisation" books by Dave Frank - and there are some very nice pieces in there, but I felt that the actual theory was skipped to a large extent.

I've also tried a book co-authored by Joey Defrancesco, and found that one hard going.

Has anyone tried this book? :
http://www.organ.co.uk/Merchant2/4.13/me...egory_Code=BOOK

Actually this shop seems to have a whole bunch of similar books:
http://www.organ.co.uk/Merchant2/4.13/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=organ&Category_Code=BOOK

Anyone tried any of these?

Jerry

[This message has been edited by jeremy_norbury (edited 10-26-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online