SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#136808 - 03/21/05 09:57 AM Bobby Short Died Today !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I woke up today deeply saddened to learn that Bobby Short, America's foremost leading cabaret lounge performer (pianist/singer) of classic American Song passed away this morning (Monday, 3/21) from leukemia at 80 years old. He was one of the last remaining living American music icons who had personally known & played for many of the greatest american songbook composers of the 1st half of the 20th C , (from George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Richard Rogers, Lorenz Hart, Hoagy Carmichael, Oscar Hammerstein). Short's musical style (both piano playing & singing) was impeccable. I was fortunate to catch a couple of his shows when he appeared in the Bay Area (San Francisco) a few years ago. His unique performance style left an indelible lasting impression on me. My only disappointment is that I never got to see him perform at the Hotel Carlyle in NYC, where he has been the house entertainer for over 35 years.

Mr Short displayed class & wit, and unsurpassed vocal & pianistic elegance no longer seen today. If you appreciate classic American Standards, Cabaret jazz & the magic of live performance, I highly recommend checking out his music. My favorite album of his is: "Late Night At the Cafe Carlyle, as it best captures the mood of his live performance:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003D3A/104-5675610-2379928?v=glance

Scott

#136809 - 03/21/05 11:30 AM Re: Bobby Short Died Today !
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Hey Scotty.....thanks for the post....I've been following it on CNN....it's sad because he was one of the best and a sharp dresser as they all say...I had the pleasure of meeting him one at a NY eatery, I was with Little Jimmy Scott and they were friends and
I was interduced to him, a very humble man, it is a loss to the music world....

#136810 - 03/21/05 12:08 PM Re: Bobby Short Died Today !
Merrill Ainsworth Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Thanks for the heads up, Scott.

Hadn't heard Bobby Short's name for a
while.

I have just ordered your favorite CD of his
work, "Late Night At The Cafe Carlyle".

Cordially,

Merrill

#136811 - 03/21/05 01:22 PM Re: Bobby Short Died Today !
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I hope he'd have a fulfilled life!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 03-21-2005).]

#136812 - 03/22/05 10:38 AM Re: Bobby Short Died Today !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A sad day for the music world, lndeed ... I caught his show in NY on night ... Great talent ....
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online