SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#136778 - 07/29/05 06:37 AM Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
If anyone has time to listen, I'd like to know what you think about this. I am trying to learn how to record decently. Give me five more years.

I am building my songwriter website. It's a work in progress. If you go to this page --
http://www.dukewill.com/easyandbill.html

...at the bottom, there are three song files. There are two, I'd like for someone to listen to...

Easy And Malcom And Ace And Will
Bouncing Around

... and what I'd like to know is if there is a big difference in sonic quality of these two work demo's. Can you hear any appreciable difference? Meaning one is much better than the other? Or not so.

Of course, if you have any comments whatsoever about the recording quality or the song itself, fire away. I have many songs, from light-hearted to melancholy, so, if you hate them, that's okay. I might have one you like. Thanks.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#136779 - 07/29/05 06:51 AM Re: Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Bill,
Am listening to 'bouncing around' as I type. Very nice! You have a very good voice and the mix sounds ok to me (though I am no expert!) Love the key change on the last chorus.

Ok am on 'Easy and Malcom' now. Vocal very strong again, seems to bit a bit too much reverb on the music (but that might just be my taste). I would prefer the music sharper and a touch more 'punch'. (That drum caught me out at the end there )

Overall I love your music, very nice work. (And who am I to talk about mixing anyway I ALWAYS mess my own up )
Best wishes and keep posting!
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#136780 - 07/29/05 07:00 AM Re: Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
good morning bill!
Loved the recordings =->
Get yourself a dog is fab! I'm a huge dog person, maybe that's why!

Bouncing around sounded "cleanest" to me on the mix - especially on the vocals, which were great!. What did you use to record that? As i've said, i'm so not a "sound" person!!

I'm still struggling in that area!

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#136781 - 07/29/05 07:15 AM Re: Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by girljam:
Bouncing around sounded "cleanest" to me on the mix - especially on the vocals, which were great!. What did you use to record that?

Jill, I did that yesterday, all that is is (what 'is' is, haha)...

Carvin cm68 mic (like a Shure sm58)
Yamaha psr2000
Fostex MR-8 recorder
Audacity mixed and converted to mp3

The mix was done on the keyboard... using the reverb, etc. on the Yam. Fostex recorded it as it came in, then imported to Audacity and mixed (and I did not touch the mix at all on that song), just did it as an auto-mix. And converted to mp3.

Interesting that you'd say that about that song, compared to others. Anyone else? (I won't comment at this time regarding why I am curious about those two songs compared to one another, as it would jade the comments.)

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#136782 - 07/29/05 08:52 AM Re: Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Me Bill! Impressive story telling on both songs, especially with such clearly sung & understood vocals. Appropriately fitting styles & playing nicely compliment your vocals as well.

I hear a dramatic difference in the recording sound of the two songs. "Bouncing Around" has more extenuated bass, yet its upper frequencies seem to be absently missing. I personally prefer the recording sound of:"Easy and Malcom and Will and Will" because it (to me) sounds more natural (not hyped), with an open transparent sound. Bill, I'm really anxious now to find out how each song was recorded differently. - Scott

#136783 - 07/29/05 09:06 AM Re: Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
just some helpful advice. The Red writing is bad for the viewers eyes. It took me several seconds for my eyes to adjust to it against the grey back ground. If its not too difficult you might want to think about changing it.When i have more time i will listen to the down loads

#136784 - 07/29/05 09:10 AM Re: Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
girljam Offline

thanks bill for the info -
I'm trying to get a "cleaner" sound, but haven't mastered it yet - being the recording doofus that I am!! Did you record vocals on a separate track, then mix down?
I'm going to try a few more tests today to see if I can fix er up a bit - things still just sound a bit "muddy" to me on my recordings.
p.s. "cleaner" and "muddy" are my extent of technical recording terms . . .

Jill

#136785 - 07/29/05 09:24 AM Re: Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Scott... thanks for comments... if anyone has a comment, thanks... I hesitate to jade opinions quite yet. But I'll tell ya soon!

Spalding, thanks, you are right. As I said, a website 'work in progress.' The site has to be prettied up and things like that fixed. For usability.

Jill, that was done with me playing/singing at same time.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#136786 - 07/29/05 09:41 AM Re: Work demo's onsite for your listening agony
girljam Offline

okay, then I'm green with envy!!

you're a mix-master in my book!
Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing the music and the info!

Jill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online