SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#136635 - 06/13/03 08:50 AM No effects on R2. Isn't this a problem for performing musician in a band?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
If a musician uses a split or layer when performing, isn't the fact that Yamaha keyboards have no effects in the 2nd voice (R2) a problem? Suppose you are in a band situation, you are playing in split mode and you want to change voices. Uh oh. Now have to insert effects to that voice. My inexpensive Roland doesn't have this problem. Leads, split layers, all contain the effects.
Starkeeper

#136636 - 06/13/03 10:46 AM Re: No effects on R2. Isn't this a problem for performing musician in a band?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Its simply a matter of saving any voice with effects into a registration with the appropriate name. There are hundreds of registration available to setup your favourite setting.

Graham UK

#136637 - 06/13/03 11:22 AM Re: No effects on R2. Isn't this a problem for performing musician in a band?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
This is true, but that would take away from the spontaneity. You would need to plan your performance in advance. Although, there are hundreds of registrations and you can load more from disc as well.
Stakeeper

#136638 - 06/14/03 03:12 AM Re: No effects on R2. Isn't this a problem for performing musician in a band?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
In the case of my 9000Pro. I can alter the effects of a voice and save it into Custom. There no point in providing an option to permanent change a voices effects because that effect may not be what is wanted with that voice on another occasion. Its a bit like permanent changing a Style, it may be not what is wanted next time you use that Style.

I do find setting up a few Registration Banks with ones favourite voice settings is the most suitable and is generally the way other players work.
speaking to one of the Yamaha demonstrator about voice effects settings, he agreed that most of the voices on a keyboard could be improved on, but there as to be a basic starting point which has to be reasonable natural.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 06-14-2003).]

#136639 - 06/14/03 01:08 PM Re: No effects on R2. Isn't this a problem for performing musician in a band?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
You can have effects on R2 but you need sysex to do it. Using XGworks (or XGEdit or any of the others) you can assign any DSP you might have to the midi channel that R2 is set to. On my 740 I have R1 set to channel 1 and R2 set to channel 2. I use any part (though part 2 is normally set to channel 2) and apply the DSP to it. Also with multipart you get a set of effects for that part - vibrato, reverb, chorus etc.

Bryan

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online