SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#136246 - 06/01/03 07:57 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I no longer have to haul a mixer, as for reverb and the Digitech VR provides that plus outstanding harmony. While I could use the mic input and effects on the keyboard, to me, they don't seem to provide the same quality as the Digitech VR. My audiences also tell me the same thing--they prefer the Digitech's sounds.

The handles are on top, however, this doesn't seem to pose a problem because the amp/speakers only weigh 36.5 pounds. At last nights job, there was a Karoke guy there before I arrived and he was just finishing up with a wedding. His speakers tipped the scales at just under 100 pounds each and it took three guys to hoist them on the stands. When I set up a few minutes after he finished his job, he was astounded that I was able to easily pick up the speakers and place them atop the stands. When he heard the sounds coming out of them, he stopped dead in his tracks and said "Whoa! I've gotta' get a pair of those. He then wrote down all the specifications on his business card and asked where I purchased them. He said he was going to order a pair on Monday.

At the job, the audience, which was about 220 people ranging 63 to 68 years old, never stopped dancing. In fact, they had me stay an extra hour and continued to dance the entire time. At the end, there lots of "attaboys" and everyone went home smiling.

I'll complete the custom wiring harness on Tuesday and use it for Wednesday's job. Essentially, there are two identical wiring harnesses, one for each speaker. When everything is complete, I post the photos. Unloading and set-up time last night was about half of what it has been over the past couple years. The job is definitely a lot easier and faster.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#136247 - 06/01/03 08:28 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary ...... go to the head of the class !

#136248 - 06/01/03 08:54 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks again Dave for all your help. I hope to get back up north next week, and if I can, I'm buyin'

Gary

#136249 - 06/02/03 01:47 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I hope PA speaker manufacterers will take JBL & EVs lead in designing more ergonomically designed carrying handles which are also integrated into the speaker cabinet itself.

Scott

I use a Wharfedale Pro powered PA cabinet for keyboard amplification that has a handle in the side of the cabinet which is useful to grab to postition it for lifting. But face it, wherever you put the handle on a box that is 30+ LBs then it will be not only awkward but very bad for your back if you lift it from the handle. I learned from working as a roadie/musician for a number of years that it is always best to lift a box using both arms so you can walk upright without stooping. If you can get it up on your shoulder, then that is even better.

#136250 - 06/02/03 05:34 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
travlin'easy Offline

Nigel is right on the money. When you have to bend over to pick up a piece of equipment, then carry it in front of you, it is really bad on your back. When the handle is on top, the speaker is carried along the side of your body, which does not make you lean back to compensate for the weight. Lifting them to your shoulder is obviously the best option, which is what I must do in order to place them atop the stands--and that's when the stands are in the lowest position.

Cheers,

Gary

#136251 - 06/02/03 05:44 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Uncle Dave Offline

For heavy speakers, or weak backs - I recommend this:
Lay the speaker on it's SIDE ..... Lay the speaker stand on IT'S side, and slide the pole into the hole. (it's still laying on the floor at this point. Now, you can "wallk" the speaker up by lifting it on the stand to it's upright position. Much easier than raising it over your head, and searching for the hole.
I tell this to my female friends that do singles ....... really makes live easier!

#136252 - 06/04/03 11:18 PM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Gary

Congats on your new stuff.

You mentioned it had a "booming bass". If desired can you get a "tight bass" sound rather than booming?

Also, I remember in a post of Uncle Dave's from some time ago, he stated that he thought the horn was rather piercing even if the treble was turned down. I'm wondering what your impression is of that.

Best

Scott Langholff

#136253 - 06/05/03 03:53 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Uncle Dave Offline

Scott,
I believe the new Barbetta has a different horn. I haven't heard it yet, but it also has increased wattage, so maybe it has been improved. I think Donny's model has round, bullet type horns, and Gary's is a rectangle .... is that right Gary? I think I read a 4x10 or something like that.

#136254 - 06/05/03 06:25 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Dnj Offline

H,

My Barbetta horns are rectangle....
4x10" ON THE SONA 32C.....

#136255 - 06/05/03 06:29 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Dnj Offline

HEY ESHPRO......

This "clones" money is on Uncle Dave by 30 lengths!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online