SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#136010 - 02/23/05 03:07 PM Single-finger chords - a question
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Folks,

As I was reading the discussion on Dan.2000's thread, I saw a lot of thought given to playing single-finger chords.

I wonder, though, how many of you do use single-finger chords?

I for one always have my arranger set to piano style, meaning that it will only recognize a chord if I press 3 or more keys with my left hand. This gives me the flexibility to play chords and bass or other lines with my left hand at (almost) the same time.

Regards,
Alex

#136011 - 02/23/05 08:27 PM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Alex, recently I have started to play my G1000 using a pedal assigned to Chord arranger on/off..This is the same assignment a guitar[midi] uses to play the arranger on a Roland keyboard..
It is simular to the piano style, but more convenient...You can set it to intelligent mode, and the only time the chord recognition reads is when you depress the DP2 pedal...you can play all the two handed piano you want without any false chord reads..When you need the chord change, use the pedal ..

#136012 - 02/23/05 10:34 PM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Alex,
I only play at home, but I use full pianist mode also. My arranger functions are via omb/laptop/digital piano. I like being able to trigger the chords anywhere on the piano, be it via left or right hand.

Hi Fran,
Jos I think has implemented something along the lines you just mentioned in vers8 omb. Haven't tried it out, but it might be worth investigating.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#136013 - 02/23/05 11:39 PM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
hitesh Offline

Loc: San Jose,CA,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
Folks,
Hi Alex,
I use as One finger mode on my Pa-50 which gives me flexibility of single fingered as well as three fingere both.I am doing a one man show in which I have to operate nos. of button wise diff. fills, variation diff. STS so it is convinient using single finger mode.

HItesh.
As I was reading the discussion on Dan.2000's thread, I saw a lot of thought given to playing single-finger chords.

I wonder, though, how many of you do use single-finger chords?

I for one always have my arranger set to piano style, meaning that it will only recognize a chord if I press 3 or more keys with my left hand. This gives me the flexibility to play chords and bass or other lines with my left hand at (almost) the same time.

Regards,
Alex

#136014 - 02/24/05 03:17 AM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hi,

Maybe I'm just weird, but I find it almost impossible to play with anything other than full keyboard accomp mode. Perhaps it's because I come from a piano background? Also, it could be that I'm just not coordinated enough to do it in fingered mode

Carrie

#136015 - 02/24/05 04:20 AM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The PSR series of keyboards has a multi-finger mode that allows the user to play using single finger, or multi-fingered chords. For those with guitar backgrounds, it provides an easier mode of fingering and a smoother transition from the guitar to keyboard.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#136016 - 02/24/05 07:33 AM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
Fran Carango Offline

Gary, I think the problem for Midi Guitar players using the PSR series, is they can not control the chord recognition without an external controller..The Roland concept I mentioned above allows this , and makes it possible to play guitar lines over top of the arranger without chord recognition changes..

#136017 - 02/24/05 10:41 AM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
Clif Anderson Offline

Single-finger mode is intended primarily for non-keyboard players who want to make music with an arranger. However, it can be useful for advanced keyboardists (who might want to simplify some fingerings). Also, it can be useful for controllers other than keyboards. Fran mentions guitar. I have a Yamaha WX-5 wind controller that I would like to use with arranger functions. My idea would be to use a Roland PK-5 foot pedal to trigger chords. It would be helpful to have a scale function so that two feet would not be required to play minor chords.

#136018 - 02/24/05 11:20 AM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
Fran Carango Offline

Clif, Roland modules like the RA95 have a chord recognition that is assigned to a pedal ..it reads from a midi guitar exactly like we use the keyboard, but recognizes the chord when you depress the DP2 pedal..when the DP2 pedal is released there is no chord recognition...

The G1000 works the same way when a pedal is assigned to arranger/off...
You do not need the maj/min pedal option..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 02-24-2005).]

#136019 - 02/24/05 03:36 PM Re: Single-finger chords - a question
Clif Anderson Offline

Fran, I like the Roland feature for turning chord recognition on and off and I agree with you do not need the maj/min option for guitar (since you can input chords using a guitar). I don't see how the feature would allow you to play minor chords while using a wind controller, through.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online