SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#135898 - 05/30/02 03:03 PM PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
How many PSR keyboard players here are utilizing its powerful Music Finder database feature to store your song repetoire?

I now have my core song repetoire (approx 460 songs) ALL stored in my PSR2000 Music Finder database (along with appropriate selected styles, tempo, along with OTS voice setups). I can now quickly pull up a given tune: alphabetically, by style, or by song category (latin, pop, dance, jazz, R&B etc). This makes it really quick to select songs to fit the mood on the fly (audience requests) etc.

I'm now interested in 'TRADING' (swapping) custom Music Finder Database files with other PSR2000 owners who have created a Music Finder database of their song repetoire. This would be an interesting way to find out what others of you out there are including in your core song repetoire as well as what styles and tempos are chosen for specific songs. If interested, please email me. - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#135899 - 05/30/02 03:08 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Scottyee Offline

I forgot to mention, just in case you guys don't already know, here's a link to Fabien's great Excel program that let's you easily create & edit your PSR keyboard's Music Finder Database:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fjm/english/psr2000.htm

Fabien: MANY thanks for your hard work and generousity. - Scott

#135900 - 05/30/02 04:41 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott,
I'll be happy to swap, but I must warn you, I only have about 20 songs in mine!
Don(King of the Procrastinators)M

#135901 - 05/30/02 09:47 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Dnj Offline

Sorry Scott,

I never use the music finder at all on my 9k.

#135902 - 05/30/02 10:30 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I need a "psr" finder ! Mine's gone !

#135903 - 05/30/02 10:38 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Scottyee Offline

Donny:
Never used it? hmmm. Well, I think you definitely owe it to yourself to at least check out the PSR's Music Finder and what it can do for YOU. Previously, I never used it much myself, but after dedicating a weekend to entering my core song repetoire (approx 460 songs) into it, I realize HOW VALUABLE and useful the Music Finder really is, especially for a professional musician (like yourself) with a large repetoire. The Music Finder enables you store and quickly pull up any song (with approp style, tempo, and OTS voice selection) quickly (on the fly), invaluable for performance. The music finder database also allows you to create, edit & print song lists (using Fabiens fantastic Excel music finder utility program). You can then give this to clients or as an 'audience request' aid. You can also quickly display (on your PSR keyboard) song lists by style etc, on the fly. I'm amazed at how quickly I can review and select songs (by genre, etc) at will as the mood strikes. If the mood of the room calls for say a 'latin bossa', I can quickly pull up a list of all the bossa style tunes in my song repetoire, and immeditately select the perfect ONE (with approp. style & tempo selection) which suits the mood . NO wasted down time having to manually select an approp style and tempo. This means NO delays which (as you know) can quickly kill the energy of the room. For more tightly scripted numbers, I still like using Registration Memory bank files & Reg Sequence, but for a spontaneous performance, you can't beat the Music Finder feature. I've found it well worth the initial time and effort entering all my 460 core songs (and selecting approp style/tempo) for each song. These settings can be easily changed at will too. It seems like MANY of you PSR keyboard players are missing out on the power of the PSR Music Finder. I certainly was, until NOW. - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#135904 - 05/31/02 10:26 AM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Dnj Offline

Hmmmmmm? scot now ya got me thinking about the music finder. I'll have to call you to get more info on how to's next week sometime ok? email me your phone number again please.

thanx

donny

#135905 - 05/31/02 11:05 AM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Donny,
A neat feature of the PSR9000 is that you can plug a computer keyboard directly into it and use it to enter data. It really speeds up such tasks as setting up and editing the Music Finder.
DonM

#135906 - 05/31/02 02:14 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. I use Michael Bedesem two excellent PC programs for my 9000Pro.
MMDBEDIT (MusicDataBaseEditor)
MMREGEDIT (RegistrationEditor)
These programs enable you to cut and paste and combine from other MDB or REG’s. It’s so much faster and convenient and can be done without having to switch on the keyboard.

Graham UK

#135907 - 05/31/02 04:01 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Scottyee Offline

HI Graham,
I also use some of Michael's terrific and highly useful PSR utility programs including 'Chord Assist' in which he further enhanced (lastest update version) to respond to my wishes to retain Yamaha specific arranger chord data. Unfortunately most all commercial midi sequencer programs (Cakewalk, Cubase, Logic etc), except for Yamaha's XG Works, will ignore and then delete this Yamaha specific Meta Event data when loaded & resaved.

Is MMDBEDIT the same thing as Michael's MusicFinder View? Though MusicFinder View allows you to sort and print out the Music Finder database, it doesn't allow you to enter or edit existing data. If the program you are talking about is different, perhaps you can provide a link. I also didn't realize Michael has a Registration Memory Bank editor available for the PSR9000/9000pro and PSR2000 now. Perhaps you can provide a link to this as well.

Currently, for Registration Memory Bank editing, I've been very HAPPY with PSR REg: http://heikoplate.de/indexhtml.htm
then: click on Downloads, and then on PSRReg.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-31-2002).]

#135908 - 05/31/02 04:39 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Donny,
Unfortunately, I just discovered that the 'Music Finder Editor' program by Fabien doesn't support the PSR9000 or 9000pro, and the one that I'm familiar with, MusicFinder View, by Michael Bedesem, does NOT allow you to actually edit the data on your computer, only sort and print it. Perhaps the one that Grahams is referring to(MusicDataBaseEditor) and supported on the PSR9000 & 9000pro will allow you to enter & edit music finder data as well. Hopefully Graham can clarify this. - Scott

#135909 - 05/31/02 09:34 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott
I have had a ball checking out the Music Finder Database. I haven't done any customizing, really. But this feature is so cool right out of the box. It's amazing how many songs there are in there. It makes choosing styles a cinch.

I would love to check out your MFD file. I think a lot of your repetoire would be just what I like to play as well. Maybe you could email it to me?
Tom G.

#135910 - 05/31/02 11:35 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Tom,
To be honest, my intent here was to 'TRADE' (swap) Music Finder files with others who have created a custom 'music finder' database representative of 'their' song repetoire as well. The purpose was to encourage other PSR keyboard players to enter their song repetoire list into their Music Finder, and then 'swap'. Tom, I'd be happy to swap with you after you enter, say at least 30 songs (with selected style & tempo), not already included in the PSR2000's factory music finder databaase. In the meatime, you're welcome to take a peak at my 2000's 'on screen' music finder listing at our upcoming get together.

Btw, just in case some of you guys may have missed the earlier annoucement, several Synthzone forum members who live in the SF bay area (8 of us), and including a couple of others who are visiting from out of the Country (Andrea (Dreamer) Rotolo & Chuck Piper), will be meeting together for the first time. We're first meeting for lunch at a terrific restaurant overlooking the SF Bay and then coming to my place to play music. Several people will be bringing their arrangers keyboards, so this looks to be a fun time. Is anyone interested in organizing a first Synthzone convention (in a larger venue) so more people can be included? Any favorite City (vacation destination) where you guys think the 1st Synthzone arranger keyboard convention should be held in? I'm always looking for an excuse to visit another city. - Scott

#135911 - 06/02/02 11:33 AM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Scottyee Offline

Hi All,

I just wanted to post a followup about the 'Music Finder' database. In addition to storing the songs title, style, tempo, OTS settings, and music 'genre' category, you can also use the 'keywords field' to store other important information like song sub-categories names: wedding, nursing home, or any other type of category you'd like your songs to be searched & then listed by. I also use the 'keywords' field to store & then later view the appropriate intro/ending settings, but which (on the PSR2000), still has to be set manually . Be sure to remember to use a comma (,) between each entry in the 'keywords' field. The other thing that I do is enter the KEY of the song right after the song name in the 'song title' field. Now you can choose and play any given song quickly, and also be reminded of the correct key to play in as well as which intro & ending to set the KB to.

Ok, hope this gives people ideas of the power & flexibility of the Music Finder. Because of its flexibility , there are many ways you can set it up to work for YOU. It's definitely worth the initial effort of entering the data, especially EZ with the help of Fabien's Excel utility. I would NEVER attempt entering any of this info via the KB itself. - Scott

#135912 - 06/02/02 12:13 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott & Others. The MMDBEDITOR & MMREGEDITOR for the 9000 & 9000PRO both are fully editable, right down to selecting of Right hand voices, Styles, Muting ACC Parts, Adjusting volumes etc:
Unfortunately the program will not load MusicDataBase files from the new PSR2000 or CVP's which have a mfd file extension.

Graham UK

#135913 - 06/07/02 08:09 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Hey Graham,
I don't think I have seen anyone list a Web address link to the two great editing programs you have been refering to.
I'm sure this would help many people out.

Regards,
Dennis Almond

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#135914 - 06/07/02 08:53 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Scott:
I've never tried to add to the Music finder. I will now that I've seen your tread. Wouldn't it wonderful if MF could remember the key of the song? it would probably save my "dilema"! you know, not being able to save the registrations on a floopy with edited styles because they have to be in the User Memory first and you are out of room.
Do you know if this is the case?
Thanks,
Mario

#135915 - 06/07/02 09:24 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Add the transpose number to the song title. That might make it easier for you.

#135916 - 06/07/02 09:52 PM Re: PSR2000: Powerful 'Music Finder' database Feature !
Scottyee Offline

Mario,

I agree with you that it would have been a LOT BETTER if the Music Finder had included storing the key 'transpose setting' with each song. Yamaha, are you listening?!

As I mentioned earlier, I enter the 'song title', the 'key', and the 'key transpose setting' (if applicable) in the 'song title' field. This way when you pull up any given song in the Music Finder, you immediately see what key to play the song in, as well as what transpose amount (which best matches my vocals) to set the tranpose button(s) to. Example:

Song Title, Key, Transpose Offset
I'll Be There (F) -1

Also, I always try to avoid transposing the key more than (+- 2) 1/2 steps because this can adversely effect the range/sound of the keyboard parts (main,layer,left) & accomp parts as well. I prefer playing in C,D,Eb,F,G,Ab, or Bb, one which is closest to what matches the 'best key' for my voice in a given song, and then transposing it (transpose button) only a 1/2 step or two (only if necessary). If you're a singer and want to know the best way to piss off the the acoustic piano player, ask them to accompany you in C#, E, F#,and B. - Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online