SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#135874 - 06/04/00 04:18 PM Storing own styles
Ilija Petkovski Offline

Loc: Apeldoorn
Can people inform me of the following keyboards how many styles you can store ON the keyboard (not floppy or Hard drive). These are styles that I have created myself. How many own created styles can I save on the keyboard?
solton/ketron X1
korg i30
Roland G-800 or G-1000

Ilija

#135875 - 06/04/00 09:00 PM Re: Storing own styles
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Your question is an interesting one because the three instruments you ask about have three totaly different ways of storing and playing styles. The easiest one to explain is the Solton X1 because there are 200 memory locations for your own custom patterns. There is another 200 locations for you to edit sounds, volumes, effects, etc. called custom styles. In the solton world, a pattern is a user programed style and a style is a factory programed style.
The korg is different because you can have I believe either 16 or 32 custom styles which then can be used in an arrangement. Arrangements consist of a style, either stock or custom and all sounds and effects and tempos used within this arrangement. In the i30 you can have 128 custom arrangements but remember you can only have 16 or 32 (i can't remember when I'm at home and not in my store to give you the exact number) custom styles within these 128 arrangements.
The Roland uses a completely different system. There are 16 locations where you can store your custom styles you've made, but, there is only one location (the last one) where you actually make your custom style. The concept with the roland EM2000 and G1000 is that after you have made your custom style, you can save it to a floppy disk or a zip disk, and you can instantly recall a custom style without saving it in your internal memory. This way you can have hundreds of custom styles at your fingertips. What is actually happening here is that every time you call up a new custom style in the disk link mode, you are actually calling it up into the one empty location temporarily. As soon as you call up another style, it is overriding the previous one. All three of these are very different but I think the Solton and the Roland are better than the Korg because you have the ability of playing many more user styles at a quick change.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, Ca.
(Retired 2021)

#135876 - 06/05/00 12:13 AM Re: Storing own styles
DannyUK Offline

Wow, I have to say something here because this is one of the big reasons why I like the X1 so much.. Out of all the keyboards I have had myself, the Solton is awesome. The I30 is exactly like George has said, but I never liked the way it operated at all so I even avoided it. The only other keyboard/s that are decent in this area is GEM, especially the WK8. I can store 32 styles at a time, and have different performances for each one, I can have so many versions of the same style and make it sound completely different!

But the X1 wins the day, I have 200 extra styles on board, and these styles are basically the best of the other keyboards, eg, I30, PSR9000, GEM, on average around 30 to 40 from each keyboard. And I tell you, its a formidable selection of styles as well! I am playing the X1 with 600 styles on board at my disposal, 200 factory, 200 custom factory (which are changed around and sound different from the originals) and 200 mixed styles from other keyboards and THEY ALL SOUND AWESOME!!!. I am in keyboard heaven !!!

DannyUK

#135877 - 06/05/00 01:42 PM Re: Storing own styles
Bob Wheeler Offline

Loc: Overland Park, Kansas USA
Hi Danny,

I have a Solton X-1 and also love it. I haven't started making custom styles yet. Can you describe what you've done to make the custom styles sound signficantly different from the factory styles?

Thanks!

Bob Wheeler
Saline, Michigan USA

#135878 - 06/05/00 02:33 PM Re: Storing own styles
DannyUK Offline

Bob,

It depends on what you mean different. The styles will always be arranged the same (i dont think the X1 has a grooves and dynamics feature a la PSRs), but they will just have changed sounds or drums. For example, if you select the custom version of a Ballad style and you didnt like the bass or something, I just go into the mixing screen to change it, the fact that they are in the custom banks means that you can fiddle around in how you would like them to sound, so your not restricted to the permenant setting. So this is what I do:

1. Press the 'factory/custom*' button
2. Select the appropriate style
3. Press 'F5' to select the style's performance screen
4. Change the sounds of the style as appropriate (by using the 'F' keys, this will select its associated sound of the track and then when its highlighted you can select a sound from the sound groups
5. When finished, press the 'save/enter' button
6. Select 'F2' for styles
7. Now finally press 'F10' to save the style in the custom styles section. They will always be stored there unless you want to save them else where, eg, HD or FD

I hope this is what you were requesting.

DannyUK

#135879 - 06/05/00 04:26 PM Re: Storing own styles
Bob Wheeler Offline

Loc: Overland Park, Kansas USA
Danny,

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for your help.

Bob

PS - Have you tried the "Contemporary" styles for the X-1? They are outstanding....at least as good as the internal styles.

#135880 - 06/05/00 04:38 PM Re: Storing own styles
DannyUK Offline

Bob,

Glad to be of help.... I have tried those styles and they are good too... Internal styles are still so great over everything because they have the groove tracks which makes them sound realistic.

DannyUK

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online