Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#135738 - 12/17/06 06:11 PM Re: what is the Definition of "in your face" styles
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
For me, it's not necessarily about drum volume, or reverb, but more about how compressed the actual drum samples themselves are. A drum with it's transients squashed in the sampling process will never have the 'snap crackle and pop' of a less processed one, no matter how loud or dry it is.

Add to that the actual internal dynamics of a style, not something easy to adjust, and that is what I personally think is the difference between the Yamaha sound and others like Ketron and Roland. The more you play on top of a style, the more important it is that elements like the kick snare and toms 'jump' out of the part. The less you play, the more subdued or refined those elements can be.

I always find myself wanting to turn a lot of the Yamaha parts off, because I want to play much of it myself, but when I do, and play with a 'live' dynamic, IMHO the Yammie's snare kind of disappears. You can turn it up, but then it doesn't get out of the way on the softer hits. I am looking for a real drummer's dynamic, and you know how hard it is for them to play too softly!

Yes, I know you can go in and edit every style to add a bit more snare, etc., but, as always, I'm looking for the sound to not need that in the first place...!

Because the Roland's V-Drum sounds were ported into the G70/E80, you are already getting drum sounds that pass the 'drummer' test, and can quite convincingly evoke the impression of a real drummer (in a box!)...

just for clarification, when you say yamaha, are you talking Tyros 2 or an older model??

#135739 - 12/19/06 02:53 PM Re: what is the Definition of "in your face" styles
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The T2 is the Yamaha I'm most familiar with the sound of.

Please don't get upset with me just because I prefer one kind of sound over another..... I am sure with enough time and care you can get the T2 to sound pretty much the same as the Rolands and Ketrons, etc., but the OOTB sound of an arranger is usually the basis for the styles. Yamaha would have a problem if some of the styles 'popped' out in your face, and others didn't.

Most manufacturer style 'houses' tend to make all their styles at least 'fit' with each other, a philosophy emerges about whether there will be lots of room in the style for the player, or whether the style sounds fairly full, and only needs a melody... Things like that (though they can be changed with third party styles) tend to give the overall impression of an arranger, at least for me.

And, from what I read on SZ, quite a few hear the same thing as me.... Overall, the T2 sounds 'polished' and CD-like, and Roland and Ketron sound more 'live'. There are exceptions to all impressions, but the overall feel I get from the T2 is of an arranger that goes out of it's way to play as much as it can for you (with amazing quality, no arguments there!), but doesn't often fool you into thinking there is a drummer right next to you.

Just my opinion, YMMV, Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, Yada yada yada.......

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online