SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1342 - 02/27/02 05:24 PM Difficult Situation
epu Offline

Hey everyone. I've been in college for the past six years. I owe this long stay to some bad prioritzing. I only have a few credits left to go (You need 134, I'll have 122 at the end of this semester, 132 at the end of the year).

I want to, and have been wanting to pursue my carrer as an artist and having a production company for a long time now. Every time I decide to go at it, I lose focus in my studies and my part time job. It's like a no-win situation.

Leave school, don't have a gaurunteed job (I'd be a teacher when I graduate). LEave part time job, can't pay off credit card bills and car insurance. If I put off my production company and artist aspriations, I end up having a void - One that woudl affect everything else.

I need some pep talk. I've been an active member of this forum for at least three years now. Please help.

The Infamous Epu. laugh
www.evertonrecords.com

#1343 - 02/27/02 05:41 PM Re: Difficult Situation
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
EPU: It's alway's darkest before the dawn. You are being tested EPU and it will reveal what maner of man you really are. Remember he that endureth until the end the same shall graduate, and enjoy a productive and sucessful life. Best wishes, work hard and be happy................ARJ

#1344 - 02/27/02 06:58 PM Re: Difficult Situation
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi epu,
Have you tried any type of $$ help? Maybe you could get a school loan or extension? But IMO get your degree at all cost, after reading some of your post it is clear that you have a passion for music and if you stop now I think it will be a great lose to us all. And teaching is something that will be with you the rest of your life! Just think of the lives YOU can touch and help by showing them a way through life with music. I think that if you explain your plan you might just get more that enough support. Sorry, I get carried away, but I wish you all the best and STICK WITH IT!
your friend at the forum,
jedi

#1345 - 02/27/02 07:15 PM Re: Difficult Situation
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Dude, you need to get your act together. There is no reason for you to have 132 credits at the end of the year when you need 134. 10 credits this semester? You can't manage to fit in 2 more?! I guees now that it's about half way into the semester, it's a bit late to add classes, but I don't see why you couldn't see that coming when you scheduled your classes.

Sorry to be harsh, but the previous two posts have been a bit touchy-feely and sometimes we need to be slapped around a bit to regain focus. My advice is that you get your damn degree seeing how you're as close as you are. Hell, at this point you have practically paid for it, you might as well have it, even if you don't teach.

#1346 - 02/27/02 07:30 PM Re: Difficult Situation
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
I agree with Cloakboy on this one. But also epu, if I were you, I would stick with the "sure thing". If you can become a teacher, then do so. Being an artist is not a "sure thing". That is something you could do on the side while you are a teacher. Thats what I do anyways. No matter how much my music might take off, Im not quitting my day job.

The only thing that would make me do that is if a major label dumped millions in my lap and said keep it. You know that isnt happening, LOL.

[This message has been edited by Chris Attison (edited 02-27-2002).]

#1347 - 02/27/02 08:04 PM Re: Difficult Situation
novaheart Offline

Loc: Canada
You should finish school now that you are so close. It took me 7 years to get a B.A. on account of my goofing off for too long, but I always wanted to be a professional producer but have not managed that yet, I dont know why but I do know that you need to put all your energy into the one thing you really want to do, dont wait, just do it NOW, or youll end up like me with literally 1000+ songs written and you don't know what to do with them.

#1348 - 02/27/02 10:05 PM Re: Difficult Situation
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Epu,
I was on an almost full ride to Temple for Music Ed. when I decided to start a family and hit the (local) road in a full time band. The difference with THAT scenario is that back then (1975) live music was plentiful, and drinking/driving laws did not exist. All that has changed so much over the 25+ years since I made the decision, and if it was TODAY - I might not do the same thing.
I have NO regrets about the path I chose, but it was a different world in the 70's and 80's. There were theater gigs, and top 40 acts and session work. There was a whole lot more ways to make a living back then. In today's music scene, you have so much more at stake then I did. The pop scene is dominated by the "flavor of the month" pretty face that can dance - the "street scene" is OVERflooded with wannabe Rappers and DJ's, and the "pit bands" are being downsized with rhythm sections and muti-keyboardists.
That may sound like a good thing to an electronic musician, but there are SO few jobs available in these pits that a "select few" get the calls, and everyone else delivers pizza.
I think the wise thing to do would be to buckle down and get the degree, and THEN go after the dream. Do it anyway you can, but finish the degree first. College is not the answer to all employment woes, but you are SOOOOOOO close - don't waste it. I only had two years invested when I left, and I had a real plan of action. I started working 5-7 nights a week and never looked back. The ONLY thing that has kept me above water all these years has been the "solo keyboard" act. All the bands I had have disappeared, and most of the places I played have canceled music, or cut it WAY back.
Nothing earth shattering will happen in the time it takes you to finish, so just do it, man. All the same opportunities will be waiting for you when you get out. Being a teacher is a necessary, and wonderful position - don't throw away the chance to, at least TRY it. There will ALWAYS be a music situation in some form or another.
Stay in school, and share what you learn with as many as you can. If you put your heart into it, you will not be sorry.
I'll be 47 tomorrow, and after 4 kids, two wives, 5 mortgages, and about 25 cars - I'm still singin' for my supper....... and I'm getting tired. The pipes are not as strong as they use to be, and the music and the crowds have changes so much that it's a real challenge to find material that holds my interest. It would be nice to have a few options at this point of my life in case I loose my tools. I'm ok now, but how long will the crowd I play for be around ??
My audience is 20-40 years older than ME ! They all gotta go sometime, and I am not about to learn the stuff my kids like - not at my age. Who wants to see a white, bald, fat rapper?
(come to think of it - the only part that would be unaccepted is the color !)
My (long winded) point is:
Stay in school !
You'll be glad you did, even if you wind up in another direction. It's ALL good.

#1349 - 02/28/02 02:49 AM Re: Difficult Situation
epu Offline

I'm sorry, some of my information was inaccurate (tired yesterday after workign 12 hours). I have 108 credits as of now. I'm taking 14 credits this semester. At the end of the semester I'll have 122 credits.

Thanks so much for the pep talk so far. I'd really like to quit my job to focus on school, but I need some of that money to pay of my $2000 credit bill. I'm working on that. I'm trying very hard to put all of my focus on school.

The Infamous Epu.

#1350 - 02/28/02 04:21 AM Re: Difficult Situation
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Atta boy - you can do it.
MAKE it happen. Do this first, and then make your carreer happen !

#1351 - 02/28/02 08:30 AM Re: Difficult Situation
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Hey, I have the same problem, Music or school? I don't know what to do either, but I think im gonna finish school, you'll get alot farther in life with a degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online