SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#135644 - 03/01/05 01:01 AM Re: tweaking styles and copyright protection??
Midi Spot Offline

Loc: Aarhus, Denmark
Hi Charley.

I see the huge problem in deciding which styles are copyrighted and which are not.. It's a little bit more difficult than defining the birthplace of a Windows OS or a Cubase SX. As I wrote to you in the first place, it will take a lot of time going through e.g. 400 styles to decide which of them are programmed by myself or one of our employees. However after joining this group I understand that this time is not just waisted, and that you guys are not on purpose stealing e.g. Midi Spot, d-o-o, Styles&Music, Hage or anyone of the other commercial 3rd part houses.

And since I feel you should get your free style site to work again as fast as possible, let's work together. Now I already listed to you the Midi Spot files I found on your site, but I think you should get all the other styles up again ASAP. And if I find other Midi Spot styles you hereby have my word, that nothing dramatic will happen, I will simply just send you an email with a note of which styles it is. Also you could send me a betaversion of Gems 14 before launching, and let me look over your shoulder? I know you already have my emailadress, but for other interested I will put in my signature here under. Please write if you have something on your mind...

Best Regards

Nicolai Damgaard
Product Manager
Midi Spot ApS
www.midispot.com
nd@midispot.com

#135645 - 03/02/05 06:08 AM Re: tweaking styles and copyright protection??
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Nicolai
Around 20 songs catered for in Midi-spot with song specific rhythm/style files...
Sounds to me like you'd be better off taking Charley onto the staff and getting some worthwhile depth to your offering.
Roger M
Oh and p.s. there's still plenty of Technics keyboard owners out here even though the product is now no longer in existence...

#135646 - 03/02/05 08:46 AM Re: tweaking styles and copyright protection??
Midi Spot Offline

Loc: Aarhus, Denmark
RMepstead wrote:
Around 20 songs catered for in Midi-spot with song specific rhythm/style files...

Eeh.. I don't really understand? At the moment there are 132 styles available, where most of them are based on an original songs. But only a few are NAMED after the actual songs (under Song Styles), since that was not a succes in our homemarket Scandinavia. But go into "Style Disks" at click on the files or the mp3 demo's and you will understand that most of our "Standard Styles" are based on original songs as well, just with some creative names.

Regarding Technics unfortunatly it's a long time since it paid off for us programming for these keybaords. We never used any short cuts, Style Converters etc because of the catastrophal results these programs give, so every brand (keyboard) is actually programmed and not converted. After starting the cooperation with http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/index.php?action=ProductCatalog&category_id=5006
and http://music.yamaha.com/productProduct.html?hierarchyId=1&groupId=21&productId=118 (scroll down) today we only produce styles and specific Midifiles in Tyros and PSR9000 formats, only GM and GS smf are exceptions. XG will also be available ASAP.

But Midi Spot will never prioritate having MANY files. Our philosophy has always been making the RIGHT stuff, and in high quality. Making sure that all chord variations sound right. That's why our styles often include 16 midi tracks and not just the 8 tracks you can do on the keyboard itself, just like the internal Tyros styles etc...

Best Regards
Nicolai Damgaard
Product Manager
Midi Spot ApS

[This message has been edited by Midi Spot (edited 03-02-2005).]

#135647 - 03/03/05 01:23 AM Re: tweaking styles and copyright protection??
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
OK Nicolai
It's your choice to market your organisation that way - but it wouldn't have been obvious to me as a gigging professional and without your explanation I would have thought 'generic rhythms - no use to me, apart from the 20 or so that have been named specifically' and have moved on to other potential suppliers.
By the way converting to Technics from Yamaha is no problem with EMC Styleworks and the quality is brilliant.
Best wishes - Roger M
p.s. I wouldn't play Mustang Sally to Festival Rock 1 unless I wanted to be thrown off the stage...

#135648 - 03/03/05 02:24 AM Re: tweaking styles and copyright protection??
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:....
By the way converting to Technics from Yamaha is no problem with EMC Styleworks and the quality is brilliant.

Roger, brilliant is not the word I would use in this case. In
my ears the converted result is OK as s start before tweaking,
but not at all "as it is" without some work, specially if you
are going to use it in public.
Did you ever had the chanche to play the same style i.e. at the
kboard it's made for, and i.e. converted to KN side by side?
Regardless to what brand, I've still not heard any converted
styles who sounds as they do as originals without do a lot of
tweaking.
The best conversions I've heard, without any tweaking done, are
as I see / hear it, from Yamaha to Ketron.

Happy converting & playing
GJ

Btw,
nice to see MidiSpot and Gem take part in the discussion as well.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online