SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135410 - 01/12/07 11:16 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
There ya have it. The Yamaha MM6-"The Synth/Arranger". Keep up posted on your thoughts George. I imagine the sounds are going to be pretty good (considering where they came from)

I still say Yamaha chose not to call them styles as the MM6 is part of the Motif line, and with synths the term "patterns" is used. So it makes sense for them to keep that term as not to confuse synth players who don't really know much about styles.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-12-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#135411 - 01/12/07 11:43 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wow! That is going to be one COOL keyboard.

You were pretty darn close with your guesstimates, Squeak.

I'm going to have a great time demoing this one...can't wait to get one on my Yamaha sample account.

Ian the Pleased

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#135412 - 01/12/07 01:23 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hmmm...well im just a natural born cynic when it comes to manufacturers "spin" i will have to wait and see for myself, or when its released at namm, it just sounds "too good to be true",
i for one would be delighted if all of this is ACTUALLY what you get, and i will buy one the day its released here (poly does not matter as i would MIDI it out to the S90ES)..... you can play and trigger "chord" patterns now with the current motif es arp(albeit only one at a time), and all of a sudden being able to trigger eight plus intros/endings etc, and all on a budget keyboard...as i said i am not yet convinced...please forgive my skepticism
dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 01-12-2007).]

#135413 - 01/12/07 01:53 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Just got a bit more information. You can split the keyboard say with a bass on the left hand......Piano on right hand........play a bass line in the left hand and the style will follow your bass line! Now that sounds pretty cool. I hope it will be easy to figure this out when it comes before the NAMM show.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#135414 - 01/12/07 01:56 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

Miden,

Even if you Midi the MM6 to an S90ES you're still going to be dealing with 32 note poly. The S90ES will just be a controller thus turning the MM6 into the tone generator.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#135415 - 01/12/07 01:59 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It does appear to be the start of something that several of us have been talking about for a while - the synthesis of arranger AND workstation features, with an emphasis on contemporary urban styles.

I guess that Yamaha, after messing up on the perfectly good concept of the DJX, want to test the waters again for an inexpensive keyboard that makes performing hiphop and rap as easy as we find sambas! Perhaps, if the market reacts favorably, we might see a 'trickle-up' of the concept, as most modern high-end arrangers are woefully short of features and soundsets appropriate to urban music.

But...... I am sure, as we delve deeper into it's OS, we are going to realize that many of the features that we take for granted (extensive chord recognition, for instance, along with bass inversions) will have little use in urban music, and only the younger (at least at heart!) of us will find this of any use.....

#135416 - 01/12/07 02:09 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

I think Yamaha made a mistake by calling it the Mini-Mo. Yammie should have called this new model The DJX-Pro, or something else with the DJX tag to it.

Advertising it as a DJX with Motif Classic sounds would have IMO really caught the attention of buyers considering how well the orginal Yamaha DJX did. Hell even today the original DJX's patterns exceed the modern styles on current arrangers.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-12-2007).]

#135417 - 01/12/07 02:32 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Amen, squeak......

Maybe the final convergence is not too far off...... 'One keyboard to rule them all and in the darkness bind them'......

I agree that using the DJX name would make a positive impact in this confusing product line........

#135418 - 01/12/07 02:33 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
Vadim Offline

The display looks like an Arranger(DGX-series), the buttons of Workstation...

#135419 - 01/12/07 06:34 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Anyone know if it has intro/ending capabilities?

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online