SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135390 - 01/11/07 01:27 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
That's also my point I'm trying to make I guess. Yammie may have decided "not" to call these "Styles" inside the MM6--rather refer to them as patterns to also appeal to the synth junkies (me being one) as well.

There are synth players that don't know squat about styles. They're used to the term "Patterns". So Yammie may have kept the term "pattern" as this is board is part of the Motif line.

How else could "easy chord feature" and a "fingered button" be mis-understood?

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-11-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#135391 - 01/11/07 03:42 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
miden Offline

Loc: The World
don't want to burst any bubbles here, but i suspect that yamaha are providing the same four arpeggiators that are going to be on the new XS line...(there is only a single one on the ES)...what these do is play arpeggio patterns that either come with the unit or are programmed by the user,its not clear yet whether the mini mo will allow user edits of arps...if they are anything like the arps in the current line they are good, but can be fiddly to change from one arp to the next, and in the 1700 odd arps that came with my ES there are NO intros or endings.... all the arps are simply repeating patterns...BUT who knows maybe yamaha have added some chord recognition as well...all will be revealed at NAMM i guess....6 days to go...i also imagine they will be announcing the PSR S-900 as well, which is supposed to be to the tyros 2, what the psr3000 was to the tyros...anyhoo
cya
dennis

#135392 - 01/11/07 06:28 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The mini-mo and the PSRS-500 have been shipped to me. I will have them both in a couple of days and then report on them.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#135393 - 01/11/07 07:47 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
i suspect that yamaha are providing the same four arpeggiators that are going to be on the new XS line...what these do is play arpeggio patterns that either come with the unit or are programmed by the user,maybe yamaha have added some chord recognition as well...all will be revealed at NAMM i guess....6 days to go...i also imagine they will be announcing the PSR S-900 as well, which is supposed to be to the tyros 2, what the psr3000 was to the tyros...anyhoo
cya
dennis

I have a strong suspicion you're right on the money about the Mini-Mo, Dennis.

Also, rumors of a prototype PSR-S900 being at the show are abound.

Time will tell...

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#135394 - 01/11/07 08:00 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
zuki Offline

Hey, they spelled their name backwards too

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#135395 - 01/12/07 04:09 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

Rather than say anything else on this I'll just let Yamaha's reply to my question (on the Motif Forum) regarding the MM6 and arranger features say it all.

Posted by Yamaha Rep at Motif Forum
---------------------------------------------
The MM6 is pretty unique. It actually uses a lot of the technology from arrangers and is built in the same factory as our portable keyboards.

But the OS, sound content, drum patterns and grooves were done by the same team that does the Motifs.

So sound wise it has the Piano from the original Motif, the acoustic guitars ( and arps) from the ES, the sweet flute, etc.
There are plnety of the cooler synth sounds , too.

Also there are grooves with full backing parts, bass and drums and just drums. No polkas though, just hip hop, r and b, electronic and pop stuff.

It's kind of a new idea, but we think people are going to like it a lot.
---------------------------------------------

Well there ya have it. The first sentence of his reply sums it up.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#135396 - 01/12/07 05:08 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
ianmcnll Offline

Looks like another winner for Yamaha.

Ian

------------------

#135397 - 01/12/07 05:42 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Looks like another winner for Yamaha.

Ian

If it had had 64 poly and I might have got interested in it.

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 01-12-2007).]

#135398 - 01/12/07 05:56 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

Blowing the poly on a Motif Classic based sound engine with only 32 note poly won't be very hard. Just a few tracks and BAM!!! you'll max out.

I think Yammie is heading in the right direction but it's just odd to create this board then shoot themselves in the foot in regards to potential sales with the poly. This issue of poly with the MM6 is the main thing brought up on the Motif forum too.

Plus why even give it synth editing if you can't save user sounds? I don't see a "user" category on voice selection. There's another Yammie synth out called the S-03. It's not based on the Motif, but has 64 note poly, 4 element voice structure with synth editing, and room for user voices. It too is bundled with recording software. This model sells for $499--which is less than the street price of the MM6.

I wonder if Yammie will discontiue the S-03 now as they'll possibly lose sales to the MM-6 and find customes going for the S-03 instead because of increased poly, and a more "TRUE" synth engine.

#135399 - 01/12/07 06:15 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
ianmcnll Offline

Still looks like a winner to me...great features, and a great price.

Most people store their sounds on their PC via USB.

Ian

------------------

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online